• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

WB Green Lantern sequel will be darker & edgier

43 posts in this topic

I hope they don't make it like they did Dark Knight. I don't believe that darker and edgier is the fix for many comic book heroes. I thought Green Lantern was great as it was and many have agreed with me, going so far as to rank it the 2nd best comic book movie of the year behind X-men: First Class.

I rank GL 1st simply because of the scene with the coin at the end of X-men being too gory for a comic movie.

GL may have deserved some bad criticism, but I think that it got plenty more than it's far share.

I'm looking forward to the sequel. (thumbs u

Yeah. This series won't see a sequel--not with the total failure to turn a profit.

Total Domestic to date: $114,362,444

Total Foreign to Date: $40,100,000

Total Production Budget: $200,000,000

Been out for 7 weeks.

#30 this week at theaters

Breaking even is going to be tough, especially if the budget doesn't include the huge advertising campaign they put forth.

Lets face it, the studio expected a FAR better performance than this.

I thought Green Lantern was decent enough. It certainly looked nice, and Ryan Reynolds isn't a terrible choice. I would love to see Nathan Fillion in a blockbuster comic movie, though. Maybe he would work as the Flash. Whatever the case, I am pumped about a Scarlet Speedster film.

i thought it was ok but got decent towards the end but they went everyplace with hal in between & that was simply no fun at all . I think a 2nd movie could do better since they have gotten past all the introduction they can get right to the action now

Would a GL/GA movie work?

I think it might work if they used the Smallville Green Arrow.

Why nothing was ever done with the Smallville version of Green Arrow beyond the TV show is beyond me. I honestly believe that if they made a movie version of that Oliver Queen, it would be successful.

I would love to see Nathan Fillion in a blockbuster comic movie, though. Maybe he would work as the Flash.

He's 40-years-old and on that show that everyone's mom likes. He'll never have the lead in a blockbuster superhero film.

The Green Lantern movie needed to fix some issues to be a solid movie. here they are in no particular order.

1. Less effects for effects! Example: the helicopter crashing scene where Hal uses the power of the ring to build a lantern light hot wheels track was done for special effects rather than story. It would have been a far better scene had he just created a giant hand/ caught the helicopter instead.

2. It just is not "believable" that your main character can defeat a villain so powerful in his first movie that a small army of well trained and experienced Lanterns could not.

where's talk of dumping ryan reynolds? that would help
It would help :)

And get Nathan Fillion as Hal Jordan :grin:

Oh and Geoff Johns as writer or co-writer :sumo:

Geoff Johns was part of the problem. Sorry that smoke monster thingie was dumb and if they just left that whole part out the movie woulda been a whole lot better.

+1

As I said before, they should have just copied Emerald Dawn for the first flick and left all of the Exlax, err Parallax, and other stuff for a later date. The formula was plain and simple - Top Gun + Power Ring = successful flick. Adding Johns to the team fugged things up since he obviously included elements from his current storyline. While his retake on Hal's origin was pretty good, it was not a great concept to build a movie around.

In addition, WTF did they need Hector Hammond as a bad guy for? They should have kept it simple with one bad guy - Legion or whatever the bug goo in the armor was called in ED - and foreshadowed Hammond and Sinestro for a later flick. Just introduce Parallax as a "mythical" entity that Legion mentions as his master after being defeated at the end and voila that concept is introduced as well. The sequel then could have focused on the "fall of Sinestro" and introduce Parallax as his new master, then the third movie could be the all out Sinestro Corps war with them defeating Sinestro and Parallax. Look at how they did it with Star Wars 4 - 6: in NH Darth Vader is the big bad guy, but they mention/introduce a master concept. In the ESB there is more mention of the Emperor, and in ROTJ you finally see the wrinkly old geezer.

Now they figure that out, especially after the success of the last Batman movie. :makepoint: Sorry but DC is run by a bunch of m_orons.

I don't think DC has much to do with it.

Well if they don't have final say in the -script and how one of their characters are showcased then they are bigger fools than I thought. (shrug)

Now they figure that out, especially after the success of the last Batman movie. :makepoint: Sorry but DC is run by a bunch of m_orons.

lol

Hey Pete. :hi:

Maybe he'll fight boredom in the next installment...with his Power Ring!

Ain't that the truth. lol

Hey bud where have you been all these years?

And get Nathan Fillion as Hal Jordan :grin:

Nathan Fillion was cast as Hal Jordan in a fan-created version of a Green Lantern trailer. And it worked really well. (thumbs u

I don't think DC has much to do with it.

Well if they don't have final say in the -script and how one of their characters are showcased then they are bigger fools than I thought. (shrug)

DC is owned by Warner. Warner Brothers has final say.

I would love to see Nathan Fillion in a blockbuster comic movie, though. Maybe he would work as the Flash.

He's 40-years-old and on that show that everyone's mom likes. He'll never have the lead in a blockbuster superhero film.

You're probably right. He might be a good Commissioner Gordon type in a decade or so.