• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How Not To Sell Comics

19 posts in this topic

I'll never understand why people post multiple copies of the exact same book (and many in the exact same grade no less) on sites such as CLink. Case in point is that someone has just flooded the first page of listing with numerous copies of same graded Wolverine Limited Series books (4 to 7 copies of each issue 1 through 4).

???

Honestly don't these people realize that they are only hurting their own sales chances by selling multiple instead of one at a time... Especially when they are listing all their books at double market value.

Either these people need to learn how to sell or I am ignorant to the effective sales tactics of CLink. :makepoint:

Any logic to help me understand this behaviour would be greatly appreciated. (shrug)

Only explanation is that they don't really care and are just blowing the books out to be rid of them.

Good point, and that would be valid if they priced them to move... but not at 2x FMV

If the person that posted these is reading this please PM me and I can explain what i mean by "you are only competing against yourself".

A lot of people price their books aggressively on Clink because you are allowed to offer as low as 50% of ask price. So some folks may want a lot of negotiating room and price accordingly. It isn't a great strategy but is one way to go.

I had two copies of a book and I sold them in back to back months in auctions and got nearly the same price for both. It seems to me that posting multiples at the same time is not a good strategy.

For one thing, you need to get someone to pull the trigger. We all want just about every book known to man but we have a pecking order. If you post multiples there is no urgency and your book goes down the pecking order. If there are several similar graded books across different web sites the book goes down in urgency. But if you have the only copy available in your grade on the major sites, at the right price, and the right person sees it.... it just might sell.

Sure it's annoying if you're looking at the first page where all of the newly listed comics appear. But, the Wolverine LS is pretty common; on CL, there are 94 copies available (although are sales pending). While I'm not the seller, I think in this case, he or she probably just wanted to load them up to the site at once, and deal with offers as they come in.

For one thing, you need to get someone to pull the trigger. We all want just about every book known to man but we have a pecking order. If you post multiples there is no urgency and your book goes down the pecking order. If there are several similar graded books across different web sites the book goes down in urgency. But if you have the only copy available in your grade on the major sites, at the right price, and the right person sees it.... it just might sell.

Exactly my point - Thanks! (thumbs u

Make it look like your one book is the only one out there currently for sale.

Supply=Low therefore Demand=High leading to higher sales prices.

... even if you have another dozen copies waiting to go up for sale the moment the listed one sells. just don't give away the farm all at once doh!

Does it really make a difference ?

There was a guy on ebay selling (what seemed like) dozens of Thor 132's from CGC 9.2 through to 9.8 all ending simultaneously so all his books were competing against each other.

I was amazed how the prices held up and there were very few steals amongst them.

There was a guy on ebay selling (what seemed like) dozens of Thor 132's from CGC 9.2 through to 9.8 all ending simultaneously so all his books were competing against each other.

I was amazed how the prices held up and there were very few steals amongst them.

It certainly seems like a poor and unnecessary strategy. If it doesn't make a difference, then you might as well. I'd be surprised, though.

Like many have mentioned if the supply is out there why would I pay big bucks for a book that has 7 listings...if there is a single book and I want it well I better click buynow/offer lots so that someone else doesn't offer more and beat me to the punch.

The point is that this particular book, Wolverine Limited Series, is one of the most submitted books in history. There's no way that this book is rare or limited or hard to find to anyone with an internet connection. It's readily available on just about all websites 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

So, for this book, he's not being hurt by listing them all at once. If anything, if he has 4 of the 8 listings on CL for a particular grade, he's actually more likely to get someone to make an offer on one of his books than if he had only 1 of the 5 listings.

I believe Thor 132 is a warehouse find. There's almost 500 in the census.

I heard that recently. I only have one (9.6). I guess that's enough for me. :)

Ayuh. If I wasn't so tired, I'd search and link to one of the several thread about warehouse finds, but I am.

I'm cranky, too, so make someone else look them up for a change. (thumbs u

A lot of people price their books aggressively on Clink because you are allowed to offer as low as 50% of ask price. So some folks may want a lot of negotiating room and price accordingly. It isn't a great strategy but is one way to go.

But not so much lately...

CAL uses Comic Connect now..