• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

NOT a Larson

91 posts in this topic

A mere shadow of the original auction listing!

You have to put in all of the multi-coloured highlights, sizing formats, bolding, etc. to get the full impact of his original message.

I didn't want to cause the board to have an epileptic seizure.

The logic behind this listing is so f'ed up. He lists a comic at a ridiculously high price complaining that it is under graded and therefore the nicest example of this Barks comic around. Then he tells the twisted story of a Barks painting dropping in value based on one of his ebay listings to illustrate the collapse of Barks material. He then uses that info as the basis for his ridiculous low offers on Barks material. But please let him know if you are selling! What a knucklehead.

Yeah, I thought the exact same thing. It's actually so strange that it makes you think the guy is struggling with some sort of illness. But I could be wrong. Might just be a knucklehead.

A mere shadow of the original auction listing!

You have to put in all of the multi-coloured highlights, sizing formats, bolding, etc. to get the full impact of his original message.

I didn't want to cause the board to have an epileptic seizure.

Thank you. (thumbs u

I AM NO LONGER BUYING WALT DISNEY CARL BARK PAINTING AT HIGH PRICES!!

I can't blame him. The Bark market is much tougher than the Barks one. (shrug)

I'm guessing his Barks is worse than his bite. :tonofbricks:

Let's both stick to our day jobs. lol

That was before it was noted that, even if it's not a Larson, which Timely says it's not, that it was a relative bargain compared to Theo's other books.

It's not a Detroit Trolley either. I have seen several books with an L like this.

Yes so have i. I even have a Detroit Trolley with a 'L' like this. Does anybody know if this 'L' like the one posted which i have seen on a few Golden Age books have any significance or meaning. (shrug)

Theo does what theo wants.

he is a big boy, but also a side you dont know is he is joker, look at the price guide ad..HELLO....and this add...well some people never change

I am sure Theo Holstein is a cool guy and actually wouldn't mind meeting him to talk about Disney and Barks some day. Life would be boring if we all were alike, and if Theo has chosen to celebrate his eccentricities with ads then more power to him.

One slight concern I have about the Barks paintings is that there are some really bizarre things happening right now, not just from "preduction". Other owners of paintings are selling carbon copy reproductions of paintings that have sold through Heritage, for example, and paintings from Kerby Confer's collection have appeared in Heritage's "buy it now" section for multiples of the price they sold for a few weeks or months earlier. All of this is creating uncertainty among genuinely interested new buyers. The best thing that could happen for the stability of the market long term is if the owners could try to act a little more responsibly. Just my 2c after hearing these concerns directly from serious collectors who would like to buy one.

Wow, my head hurts from reading that too. What on earth does a painting have to do with his auction? And since when does a CGC 7.5 (VF-) get classified as fine/near mint?

This one just confuses the spoon out of me.

Vacation Parade in 7.5 for 25,000... or is it?

Oooohhh my head hurts from reading this ...

Wow, my head hurts from reading that too. What on earth does a painting have to do with his auction? And since when does a CGC 7.5 (VF-) get classified as fine/near mint?

it has nothing to do with it. but as the king's quote below says, theo is one of those people we need to evaluate a bit differently than everyone else--rationality apparently doesn't factor in. don't know if you're a baseball fan, but it's the same concept of "that's just manny being manny." as for manny just being manny, it got him 2 suspensions in a year, and a premature retirement. these preposterous ebay listings oughta get theo a collectibles dealer's equivalent.

Theo does what theo wants.

he is a big boy, but also a side you dont know is he is joker, look at the price guide ad..HELLO....and this add...well some people never change

I'm still trying to figure out how, since most of us don't know TH, we're supposed to know his auction description is in jest, and how the average comic collector (a VAST majority of whom aren't members here) that peruses eBay would come to that conclusion as well

http://cgi.ebay.com/Carl-Barks-Oil-painting-Uncle-Scrooge-Signed-/330595124820?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4cf9014654

Read the description text of this one. It's like a drinking game where you take a shot every time he says "Carl Barks Painting".