• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

NOT a Larson

91 posts in this topic

I'm still trying to figure out how, since most of us don't know TH, we're supposed to know his auction description is in jest, and how the average comic collector (a VAST majority of whom aren't members here) that peruses eBay would come to that conclusion as well

Any rational person reading that eBay write-up (Vacation Parade) cannot take the listing seriously and will have serious doubts on the person's mental state when composing it ... but, maybe, that's just me ...

http://cgi.ebay.com/Carl-Barks-Oil-painting-Uncle-Scrooge-Signed-/330595124820?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4cf9014654

Read the description text of this one. It's like a drinking game where you take a shot every time he says "Carl Barks Painting".

Apparently, the seventies weren't kind to Theo and left their mark.

I'm still trying to figure out how, since most of us don't know TH, we're supposed to know his auction description is in jest, and how the average comic collector (a VAST majority of whom aren't members here) that peruses eBay would come to that conclusion as well

Any rational person reading that eBay write-up (Vacation Parade) cannot take the listing seriously and will have serious doubts on the person's mental state when composing it ... but, maybe, that's just me ...

That's exactly what one of my friends, who is looking to buy a quality Barks painting, thought. But he was actually more concerned about the reproductions of paintings like "Luck of the North" etc. I am really trying hard to be diplomatic, but the word my European friend used translates to something like "nutcases". I'll give Holstein the benefit of doubt, but I'd encourage him to consider that this stuff is scaring away potential new buyers who are looking to get into Barks paintings.

Just for the sake of gathering an understanding of the Larson pedigree, is my impression correct that each Larson pedigree book has the full "Larson" name spelled out on the front cover? Are there any Larson pedigree copies that don't say "Larson" on the front cover that anyone is aware of?

So I emailed this nice gentleman explaining that the book he is advertising on ebay as a Larson, is in fact, NOT a Larson. Here is what he wrote back to me:

"I disagree."

http://cgi.ebay.com/Green-Hornet-Comics-1-CGC-9-0-NMINT-Beautiful-copy-/330596348812?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4cf913f38c

All I can do is try and help these guys. :makepoint:

Hi Billy, it seems to me that he is trying to utilize an ebay listing designed for a comic book to instead undermine the value of Barks artwork so he can purchase it cheaply. At the same time, he is utilizing an auction that ended that did not meet a reserve (so no major loss to him or cosigner) in order to justify why people should unload their stuff because the world is coming to an end (shrug)

it has nothing to do with it. but as the king's quote below says, theo is one of those people we need to evaluate a bit differently than everyone else--rationality apparently doesn't factor in. don't know if you're a baseball fan, but it's the same concept of "that's just manny being manny." as for manny just being manny, it got him 2 suspensions in a year, and a premature retirement. these preposterous ebay listings oughta get theo a collectibles dealer's equivalent.

I don't think "Larson" is even on the majority of the books in the collection.

Just for the sake of gathering an understanding of the Larson pedigree, is my impression correct that each Larson pedigree book has the full "Larson" name spelled out on the front cover? Are there any Larson pedigree copies that don't say "Larson" on the front cover that anyone is aware of?

So I emailed this nice gentleman explaining that the book he is advertising on ebay as a Larson, is in fact, NOT a Larson. Here is what he wrote back to me:

"I disagree."

http://cgi.ebay.com/Green-Hornet-Comics-1-CGC-9-0-NMINT-Beautiful-copy-/330596348812?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4cf913f38c

Hi Billy, it seems to me that he is trying to utilize an ebay listing designed for a comic book to instead undermine the value of Barks artwork so he can purchase it cheaply. At the same time, he is utilizing an auction that ended that did not meet a reserve (so no major loss to him or cosigner) in order to justify why people should unload their stuff because the world is coming to an end (shrug)

I agree, it's so bloody transparent. Like the arguments of a child.

"I disagree."

I am NO expert on larsons or on pedigrees generally but I think most of them say "Lamont" or "Larson" when they do say something, which is not always - probably less than 50% of the time? (I could be totally wrong).

If I recall though, a "L" is a sign that its not a Larson. If it says something it should say "lamont" or "larson" not "L". I think. Again, NO expert

"I disagree."

I am NO expert on larsons or on pedigrees generally but I think most of them say "Lamont" or "Larson" when they do say something, which is not always - probably less than 50% of the time? (I could be totally wrong).

If I recall though, a "L" is a sign that its not a Larson. If it says something it should say "lamont" or "larson" not "L". I think. Again, NO expert

The best person to answer this question would be Jon Berk since he is the acknowledged Larson expert.

Remember the articles he wrote about the Larson books and also how he was able to track down Larson down and got him to attend one of the SD conventions as a special guest. I believe these articles were published in the Overstreet Quarterly for Advanced Collectors back in the mid-90's.

BTW: A large number of the Larson books simply have the "PN" code, with others having the distributor call-back numbers on them. I believe there were unique numbers for each different title.

"I disagree."

The best person to answer this question would be Jon Berk since he is the acknowledged Larson expert.

Remember the articles he wrote about the Larson books and also how he was able to track down Larson down and got him to attend one of the SD conventions as a special guest. I believe these articles were published in the Overstreet Quarterly for Advanced Collectors back in the mid-90's.

BTW: A large number of the Larson books simply have the "PN" code, with others having the distributor call-back numbers on them. I believe there were unique numbers for each different title.

"ON" = Omaha News

There is also a numeric code which is assigned for each title.

This is my favorite (emphasis mine):

" This is a Wonderfull Carl Barks Oil Painting large size 18 by 24. Scrooge is not part of this oil painting. Painting does not have Uncle Scrooge in painting!I added scrooge as Carls Logo! not part of painting! I call this painting UNCLE UNDER THE RAINBOW PLOWING FOR GOLD! "

Linky

(looks shopped to me!)

I agree, it's so bloody transparent. Like the arguments of a child.

Here's a more mature way to go about it: start selling unlicensed reproductions that are as close to the real thing as possible.

Disney just does not give a shi......t when it comes to carl barks or copyright as above, this could destroy the carl barks market, futher a number of paintings have taken a big loss in the new price guide vs the old. Somebody I know let disney know about what was going on with the copyright violation, then just did nothing about it.

July 4th in Duckberg

Price 2000 is 150K, now at 65K, compare another rainbow, luck of the north etc, and that is after 11 years.....

This was posted in CG

"VERY RARE!!!! Spicy Pulp cover Original ART FROM 1941 by Allen Anderson. Oil painting. All original comes with a Certificate of Authenticty Last Spicy sold on Heritiage for $148,000. I like this one better! IF you want to see the entire painting please give me your email address and I charge a fee of $1,000 for a good detailed picture of this painting. refundable if you buy this painting. This painting is supposed to be the cover for the new Allen Anderson book."

:roflmao: