• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DAMN DIRTY APES!!!

66 posts in this topic

I concur. I just came back from seeing the movie and it was great. It was one of those movies that I would call masterfully done.

I am a huge fan of the original Heston film. One of my all-time favorites. I even sat through a marathon at the theater of all of the original movies, plus watched the TV show in the 70s.

So, I think I should be considered an "ape movie" expert.

Saw the new film today. This one was very boring. Very boring. Contrived, lacking any talent in any of the major roles, weak in every way. A MAJOR disappointment

:boo:

Maybe it's my age but can you seriously say Charlton Heston was a good actor in Planet of the Apes. He screamed every line, was so over dramatic and was super cheesy.

Maybe you should watch the movie again. This was prob one of his less 'over the top' acting jobs. I have the thing nearly memorized and there is not a lot of screaming going on.

Thumbs up on this. Thought they did a great job.

And the nods off to the earlier films were great as well.

Get your hands off me you damn dirty filthy ape!

NO!

Bright Eyes.

Awesome also how the police were attacking them on horses;

backwards version of the original.

Did anybody here besides me see Charlton Heston's "Planet of the Apes" when it first came out? On the "big screen"? At the Riviera Theater?

I saw it when first came out on the big screen, but not at the Riviera Theater

Normally I'm the first to disagree with the majority on movies like this. I still hated the new Batman films, but this I saw this new Apes movies with my wife at a drive-in as a double feature with Captain America following it.

As discussed in an earlier thread I believed that the things revealed in the trailer were a sure sign that this movie was going to fall flat. I was incredibly wrong.

I am not a fan of James Franco, he was excellent.

Having saw these two movies together... Apes wins hands down and will be the blockbuster of the summer.

Very good Movie. Not the best ape movie I've seen, but close. We'll worth going to see. I like how they changed the eradication of humans from a nuclear war to a virus.

I look forward to seeing it again on HBO in the future. 7/10 stars here...

As discussed in an earlier thread I believed that the things revealed in the trailer were a sure sign that this movie was going to fall flat. I was incredibly wrong.

I too was underwhelmed by the trailer, but I've come to learn that lame trailers often herald a strong movie, while those slick-looking mini-movie trailers are slick, because the movie is usually lacking. Such has been my observation of "hollywood blockbusters"... 2c

Ape movies ranked:

1) The original Charlton Heston classic. One of the smartest, best-acted movies ever and on my top 5 island movies. Contains 3-4 best all-time movie moments.

2) Conquest....flawed, absolutely. But there's a darkness there that hurts and Roddy Mcdowell and Ricardo Montalban were fantastic. Where else can someone say the word 'slightly' and it stays with me for 30 years.....that's tough. Oscar worthy performaces from both.

3) Escape....Great fun....humorous and heart-breaking. Killer movie. Again, Roddy McDowell shines.

4) Beneath....the unwanted fight between Chuck and James Franciscus alone is worth the price of admission..

5) "Ape shall not kill ape". Eh.

6) Tim Burton's remake....Love Tim Burton. Ed Wood, Edward Scissorhands, Beetlejuice, Mars Attacks, Nightmare B4 Christmas, etc......But this movie blew. Bad.

But I love me some ape movies.

I'd swap Beneath with Escape (the Groovy Apes) but other than that, (thumbs u

If you like Apes, you might want to read Planet of the Apes Revisited. It's a history of the original series of movies and TV show. They probably mention the cartoon, too, but I can't recall, it's been a while since I read it. If you didn't know already, the budgets got progressively smaller with each sequel.

I saw Rise last night and I enjoyed it. Not perfect by any stretch but fun.

The CGI was amazing IMO. The story was good and James Franco was surprisingly good in it.

I think it got a little sappy towards the end right before the final scene.

This goes without saying but it sure was 1000x better than the Marky Mark movie.

I'll see the sequel.

The CGI was amazing IMO. The story was good and James Franco was surprisingly good in it.

This goes without saying but it sure was 1000x better than the Marky Mark movie.

I'll see the sequel.

It was better then the MM movie, but as cheesy as that version was I still kinda liked it, mainly due to Tim Roth's performance

I loved the last one because it had that dry, dark Tim Burton feel and tone but the story lacked.

Lou and I saw this version on Monday and we thought it was absolutely terrific.

Can't wait to see it again.

I just watched it.

Every new trailer I saw made me want to see it less, but it really was a great movie. Not perfect, but few movies are.

I loved the nods to the original films. Very well done.

Overall, one of the best movies of the summer, and there have been several good movies that came out this year. :applause:

I'll see the sequel.

The sequel is going to make or break this new franchise. What kind of world will it be with most of humanity wiped out by the James Franco virus? Really liked this movie. The WETA digital people were the obvious choice for effects house since they already had the King Kong CGI ape software that they improved upon this time around. Hopefully this one will spawn four sequels like the original did.

I'll see the sequel.

The sequel is going to make or break this new franchise. What kind of world will it be with most of humanity wiped out by the James Franco virus? Really liked this movie. The WETA digital people were the obvious choice for effects house since they already had the King Kong CGI ape software that they improved upon this time around. Hopefully this one will spawn four sequels like the original did.

There's so much to work with. One possibility would be to have the apes themselves caught in a civil war after humanity is wiped out, leading to the apes causing the nuclear disaster waring with each other (perfect way to nod to the sunken statue of liberty). The survivors would develop their own religions,politics, and myths and shun the forbidden zone as a loose memory/token of what was. hm

I just watched it.

Every new trailer I saw made me want to see it less, but it really was a great movie. Not perfect, but few movies are.

Overall, one of the best movies of the summer, and there have been several good movies that came out this year. :applause:

Lots of homage moments. The screen writers were obviously fans of the originals. Here's what I caught:

Ape names:

Bright Eyes (Zira's name for Taylor before he could talk),

Cornelia (Cornelius),

Maurice (original actor playing Zaius)

Use of the water hose to torment a caged prisoner

"Get your stinking paws off me you damn dirty ape!"

Any others I missed?

I just watched it.

Lots of homage moments. The screen writers were obviously fans of the originals. Here's what I caught:

Ape names:

Cornelia (Cornelius),

Any others I missed?

In the beginning when they were rounding up the apes. Change places with the apes and humans and you'll get the beginning of the original movie.

I just watched it.

Ape names:

Cornelia (Cornelius),

Any others I missed?

In the beginning when they were rounding up the apes. Change places with the apes and humans and you'll get the beginning of the original movie.

Yes! Nice catch.

Ape names:

Cornelia (Cornelius),

Any others I missed?

Its a madhouse....a maaaaaaaadhoooooouuuusssse!