• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Threatening PM's.
3 3

767 posts in this topic

If I am at all suspicious of an application, I call the person. Having mandatory info such as this on an application will weed out most all of these shills.
I agree. Especially with a marketplace as active as the one here. I personally joined because of the marketplace. I'm sure many more have too. Maybe the majority of users over the past few years. If we're to be buying and selling here for free, I think leaving a phone number is a small request. I am on another forum where sales require a 10% donation to the site. There is no real way of knowing if a sale or two slip through the cracks and they mostly rely on the honor system, but most regulars pay up.

can't the mods trace back the Ip address?

Sometimes.

However, it is very, very easy to spoof IPs, use anonymizers and otherwise fool/thwart IP trackers. If someone wants to get past the system, it's very easy to do.

I thought you had to use your ISP e-mail address. How many could onepossibly make? Even if they used proxies, shouldn't the ISP address give them away? Is there any way to contact the ISP over this? I say contact the police. It's a death threat. Even if it's just some insufficiently_thoughtful_person trolling, see if you can't get an officer to knock on his door. If he were downloading a movie they would be able to find out who he is pretty easily.

You would be very, very surprised at how easy it is. All bulletin board software is different, but none of them are bulletproof, unfortunately.

There isn't really a way to limit a registration to 'your ISP email address'. The best you can hope for is eliminate using free email addys (like yahoo or gmail) and try to limit it that way. But even that is a crapshoot. If someone signed up at an Internet cafe with a dedicated/spoof email address, it would be nearly impossible to track the person.

The person we are discussing was too stupid to pull off a comicbook scam, and has been banned a few times. I will guess he is not computer literate, and likely not masking ip.

Monday we will find out. Hopefully this one is the one that lands him in county. Very serious threat!

18 U.S.C. § 875© states: "Whoever transmits in interstate or foreign commerce any    communication containing any threat to kidnap any person or any  threat to injure the person of another, shall be fined under this  title or imprisoned not more than five years, or both." 

Federal Law, which has been used for countless prosecutions. Especially if it can be proven that this is a pattern.

I really enjoy getting this kind of PM.

"donna i'll put a bullet in your head"

Really? At what point do the moderators review registration before accepting someone as a member here?

Hello

I hope it was not because of your 1st post on the CAL's Column.

Notice the few CGCers that have participated on this Thread...

"In the end it is not the voices and shout-downs of our enemies that we will remember; it is the deafening 'silence' of our so-called 'friends'" - Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

CAL who had HAS comicdonna's back

Edited by Calamerica

As of this Post, there have been 375 views.

But less than 20 ( twenty) participants???

CAL hm

Edited by Calamerica

Mmm.. just 6 minutes elapsed, and now the views are over 400.

Just me, eh???

CAL very busy w/ something important today... hm

Busy indeed!

Donna, I haven't dealt with you personally but I know the majority of the board likes you so I have your back too! (thumbs u

(The fact you would run into a burning building for comics helps too)

Really? At what point do the moderators review registration before accepting someone as a member here?

Hello

"In the end it is not the voices and shout-downs of our enemies that we will remember; it is the deafening 'silence' of our so-called 'friends'" - Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

CAL who had comicdonna's back

Did you stop "having" Mike's back when the threat happened? (shrug)

I'm just kidding Cal. Mike, I've got your back too. (thumbs u

Hello

CAL who had comicdonna's back

Truly bizarre post. Plenty of people have posted prior to you, and his post in your thread is surely of no consequence here.

Everyone here has got Mike's back. Everyone. (shrug)

If anyone wants to meet Mr. Fuller, all they have to do is go to Mega Con in Orlando. He's always there.

We should organize a mass forum meeting with him. lol

I fully intend to introduce myself if we were to meet.

A quote like that obviously comes from someone who would have to study to be stupid. Chances are "einstein" would have the gun pointed backwards and blow his own head off...

:wishluck:

can't the mods trace back the Ip address?

Sometimes.

However, it is very, very easy to spoof IPs, use anonymizers and otherwise fool/thwart IP trackers. If someone wants to get past the system, it's very easy to do.

If they'd just put this kind of effort into getting a life worth a *spoon*, the world would be juuuuust a little better

Some links would be helpful for the newer members.

That's very nice of you Mikey

I've tried using the "search" function on Harold, but never really found relavant results. I probably didn't do it right.

Most all of his posts and 50? user id's have been deleted.