• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Threatening PM's.
3 3

767 posts in this topic

I'm replying in general to the group of you who have suggested this...

What makes you think that having credit cards on file is going to stop people from harassing others?

It's not like they are going to be charged a FEE if they mess up. I'm sure the shills all have credit cards, or friends with credit cards (if they want to be sneaky). I'm sure people do that all the time...Look at all the people kicked off eBay who came back?

The general population is not perfect, NO place is perfect, there are fruitcakes in every walk of life, some places more, some places less.

What makes you think that having credit cards on file is going to stop people from harassing others?

It's not like they are going to be charged a FEE if they mess up. I'm sure the shills all have credit cards, or friends with credit cards (if they want to be sneaky). I'm sure people do that all the time...Look at all the people kicked off eBay who came back?

The general population is not perfect, NO place is perfect, there are fruitcakes in every walk of life, some places more, some places less.

I don't endorse my idea. I just posted it for fun.

Well, I didn't want to be accused of picking on someone (not you;) so I wanted it to be general;)

Well, I didn't want to be accused of picking on someone (not you;) so I wanted it to be general;)

:foryou:

Grandfather-in existing members.

Heck, I’ll pay to join just so I can harass people! :banana:

And if a CC is required to sign up, maybe The CGC can institute a policy of monetary fines for board transgressions besides just strikes that temporarily deny access. :sumo:

Grandfather-in existing members.

This is a good idea, but I would be happy to pay a small fee to use the boards..whether it was a one time thing or annual is for others to decide. I would be willing to bet that a $10-20 fee for each new account created would discourage most of the shills and troublemakers. 2c

Sharon, in my mind the difference is that in a case like this where a threat was made there would be some hard legal recourse rather than just a scrambled IP address for people to hide behind.

Sharon, in my mind the difference is that in a case like this where a threat was made there would be some hard legal recourse rather than just a scrambled IP address for people to hide behind.

First off Roy, keeping credit cards on file leads to other problems, hacking...stolen numbers, etc.

2nd, it creates more work for the people allowing people to join.

3rd, credit cards can be cloned, borrowed, etc...or do you want a credit check on each person?

It's messy...and what would stop me from borrowing my daughter's card and signing up as a shill? Or my neighbor's card.. Then what happens when the cards expire? Do you have to give a new number?

Changing the structure of this board after nearly 10 years would destroy the community.

Yup. I realize that.

It would eventually adapt, just as it always had though. I wonder at what point convenience is more important than safety, though.

It isn't a matter of convenience vs safety, it's about cost vs benefit. This isn't some kind of prevalent problem, it's one douchenozzle trying to get a rise out of Comicdonna. It went better than expected, because now he got a rise out of Comics General.

It'd be nice to keep the trolls out, but there is a serious entertainment value to having those lunatics around from time to time.

You know that someone desperate enough for attention and drama can use a gift card and a crack phone to possibly circumvent the process, depending on how detailed the process might be.

Would I pay to use these boards? Absolutely. If they wanted a volunteer to assist in the process, I'd gladly help with that.

Changing the structure of this board after nearly 10 years would destroy the community.

Yup. I realize that.

It would eventually adapt, just as it always had though. I wonder at what point convenience is more important than safety, though.

It isn't a matter of convenience vs safety, it's about cost vs benefit. This isn't some kind of prevalent problem, it's one douchenozzle trying to get a rise out of Comicdonna. It went better than expected, because now he got a rise out of Comics General.

+1

First off Roy, keeping credit cards on file leads to other problems, hacking...stolen numbers, etc.

2nd, it creates more work for the people allowing people to join.

3rd, credit cards can be cloned, borrowed, etc...or do you want a credit check on each person?

It's messy...and what would stop me from borrowing my daughter's card and signing up as a shill? Or my neighbor's card.. Then what happens when the cards expire? Do you have to give a new number?

I think you may have mistaken my quoting you as me being a proponent of the credit card idea. I wasn't really pushing the credit card idea. I actually mentioned a few posts ago that some people do not use credit cards so that idea may not work the best.

I'm just trying to have an open minded, open ended discussion on improving the quality of these boards by introducing some personal accountability that is not available when someone needs just an email address to register.

We've already seen that people are more socially responsible in person than they are on these boards.

With the nature of the threat, I'm sure CGC would want some check point in place as well so that there is no liability on their part. I know I wouldn't want to be on the hook for something like that.

In the end, it's just a discussion on our part. I don't have a stake in the matter either way.

CGC are the ones that are going to have to deal with it.

Cal usually looks at things in a different light, it costs to use his "clubs".

I voluntarily pay membership to this forum, I do it because I like the forum and I appreciate the fact that it's here AND I can afford the fees....but I really think it's important that we encourage young people in this hobby ...without younger members, there is no future. We have some great younger members now, I'd hate to discourage any of them, it would not be good for the hobby in general, OR CGC.

So, we've had a few fruitcakes... The "one bad apple" theory is dangerous.

It went better than expected, because now he got a rise out of Comics General.

Or we could just go back to talking about eBay, beer and Shay Laren.

:whistle:

Death threats + massive insecurity + literal insanity + the other word for cat + fish + hippy + testicular damage + inept moderation = pure win

I love this forum. If I could change one thing here it would be Greggy's underwear, but just once a month.

Cal usually looks at things in a different light, it costs to use his "clubs".

I voluntarily pay membership to this forum, I do it because I like the forum and I appreciate the fact that it's here AND I can afford the fees....but I really think it's important that we encourage young people in this hobby ...without younger members, there is no future. We have some great younger members now, I'd hate to discourage any of them, it would not be good for the hobby in general, OR CGC.

So, we've had a few fruitcakes... The "one bad apple" theory is dangerous.

Are we talking about the hobby of buying and selling comics? Or are we talking about bringing in young people as readers?