• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Project: Sugar and Spike
4 4

557 posts in this topic

In the spirit of the thread.

I just got this in.

Sorry. I know it's not from the silver age.

DOC050714-05072014045405-0001_zpsa1fe9651.jpeg

Edited by vane

In the spirit of the thread.

I just got this in.

Sorry. I know it's not from the silver age.

DOC050714-05072014045405-0001_zpsa1fe9651.jpeg

Uh, what am I missing out on here??? I can't see the image for some reason, bummer.

Now how about that, when I quoted your post, the image appeared. Nice digest sized book. I used to buy those some back in the day. I don't know what happened to them.

Happy Birthday! I was going to post a S&S cover that had a birthday theme but apparently there isn't one. :(

There were Christmas covers, Halloween covers and Valentines covers, but no birthday covers.

I think that is because SM stated that the tykes were between 1 and 2. If he had a birthday cover it would likely be because one of them had a birthday. I don't think he ever intended to age them.

Those are some pretty sweet books. Looks like Don and Maggie had quite a collection going. These are surely the nicest Sugar and Spikes that have ever hit the market at one time, many of them the only graded copies. I bet you're in cloud 9 over these!

:cloud9:

I can't be certain, but I think from what I have seen so far, the Savannah collection (of Sugar and Spike's) was at least as big, if not bigger. Savannah's get a bad rap for pages, but the ones I have are very nice.

If it were not for Savannah, Boston, Oakland, Don/Maggie. Brad Squared (I may be missing one) there would be a lot fewer HG issues. Demand and supply are just about at equilibrium through since there really aren't that many collectors of the series.

I never had any Sugar & Spikes in my original collection from the 60's. I do remember seeing them on the racks. I always thought they had attractive covers, but with a limited budget, I was pretty much a superhero guy, dabbling once in a while in the mystery/horror genre. However I did get into buying some Harvey titles (Casper, Hot Stuff, Sad Sack, etc.) for a short period of time around 1969-1970. I think I still have a few of my Hot Stuffs, but that's the closest I've ever come to having anything like Sugar & Spike in my collection. That's why once that nice issue #73 crossed my path last year, I had such a hard time letting go. It was like going back and buying it myself as it was still in the original Hook's Drugstore bag with a receipt.

:grin:

incoming!

More Don and Maggie's!

sas49cgc.jpg

Really nice book. Although I never had even one issue of Suger and Spike your enthusiasm made me determined to acquire at least one example so I have bought a Halloween issue, too.

Number 55 Don and Maggie?

Yes. It was not an impulse buy or anything like that. I had planned to buy a Sugar and Spike example for some time and the Savannah #55 caught my attention when put up on Heritage. But it had that slightly dark tinged look about it, especially in the speech bubble so I backed off. By comparison, the Don and Maggie copy is so bright and fresh looking with that wonderful clean purple top and night tones with moon. I thought this is the example for me.

Excellent pick up Ian. Funny thing, I have the Savannah copy, and I bought it from a guy in England! I need to scan the book and see how the colors look. Also, that cover was good enough that SM recreated it for the final issue of the series, #98.

Excellent pick up Ian. Funny thing, I have the Savannah copy, and I bought it from a guy in England! I need to scan the book and see how the colors look. Also, that cover was good enough that SM recreated it for the final issue of the series, #98.

Heritage scans can be misleading over colors as often they are a little too bright. Please post your #55 when you get around to scanning it.

Heritage scans can be misleading over colors as often they are a little too bright. Please post your #55 when you get around to scanning it.

Their reds are distorted and look more pinkish in the scan than they do in hand.

Nice! :applause:

Yet another Don and Maggie, I think this may be a census highest.

sas51cgc.jpg

Go Sugar Go Sugar

Go Spike Go Spike

Love the passion you have for those classics.

I personally love the Stanley and his Monster / Fox and the Crow....some day you can share those you have with all of us as well.....I'm sure they are nicer than my copies.