• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Comics You personally can't Understand Cost So Much

682 posts in this topic

All new comics fresh off the shelf.

$4.00 for something that takes 15 minutes to read?

15? try 4

I'm slow. In more ways than one.

But you see my point? I remember when comics were 50 and 60 cents. Adjusting for inflation I can see comics maybe costing a buck fifty at most.

I started when they were 20¢ and remember my mom chastising me for buying 10 comics at one time.

DG

OK I'll add a few

Chew 1

Avengers Annual 10 (Ultra common in high grade)

Chew 1

Extremely low print run, good story, good art, possibility of getting a TV show / movie or other media outlet to increase demand for the book. White cover limits the number of books that will grade out.

Avengers Annual 10

First appearance of a major character (who has had a major role in at least three movies recently), the books is also more than 30 years old.

AF 15 and IH 181 are not all that rare but somehow people want those too.

OK I'll add a few

Chew 1

Chew 1

Extremely low print run, good story, good art, possibility of getting a TV show / movie or other media outlet to increase demand for the book. White cover limits the number of books that will grade out.

Avengers Annual 10

First appearance of a major character (who has had a major role in at least three movies recently), the books is also more than 30 years old.

True but how long has the rumor been about a TV show. There are about 40 copies 9.9 or higher. 375 9.8's. Its ultra easy to find in high grade. I don't see that one lasting. (shrug)

Avengers Annual 10 is quite easy to find in very high grade at most any convention for lower than the CGC price. I believe it was part of a warehouse find. I can't believe people pay for slabbed copies when a cheaper alternative isn't hard to find with very little leg work.

Same with Byrne X-Men, easy to find cheaper alternative to slabbed copies.

I have to agree on Avengers Annual # 10. I recall seeing stacks upon stacks of unread copies littered across dealers tables in the late 90s early 2000s. Not key enough to fight against the gods of supply IMO.

True but how long has the rumor been about a TV show. There are about 40 copies 9.9 or higher. 375 9.8's. Its ultra easy to find in high grade.

Even without a TV show there are a lot more than 500 people that want those high grade copies and not enough to go around.

All ECs.

It's not 1978 anymore.

EC's are awesome and none of the reprints do them justice.

That being said, what is the significance of 1978?

Do you have Tourette syndrome or something?

DG

They were extremely high priced for that time period.

1978-79 OSPG lists Vault of Horror #12 in gd as $75.00 fn @ $150 mint @ $225

Amazing Fantasy #15 in gd as $120.00 fn @ $240 mint @ $360

Pep Comics #22 in gd as $35.00 fn @ $70 mint @ $105

Comparing just the gd price, 2013 OSPG now has them at:

VOH12 $497 AF15 $3700 Pep22 $10,000

Compared to 4.0 in GPA:

VOH12 $717 (5/13) AF15 $11,500 (10/13) Pep22 (a 2.0!) $28,600 (7/12)

EC are great books, obviously. Very cool stuff. Awesome. Just not... able to keep up with much of the books around them.

But I think part of the appeal that kept the value going was the "just like Walking Dead TV show" investment potential. I think the longer it goes without the TV show the further prices will continue to drop.

Although the 9.9 seems to be doing better than I thought. So there is clearly a hardcore element out there.

A few things that hold the EC prices back are the abundance of high grade copies. EC Gaines copies for most books, and that EC were held on tighter as more of a collectible earlier on, so more were saved. There was a strong community of fandom.

OK I'll add a few

Chew 1

Chew 1

Avengers Annual 10

True but how long has the rumor been about a TV show. There are about 40 copies 9.9 or higher. 375 9.8's. Its ultra easy to find in high grade. I don't see that one lasting. (shrug)

Avengers Annual 10 is quite easy to find in very high grade at most any convention for lower than the CGC price. I believe it was part of a warehouse find. I can't believe people pay for slabbed copies when a cheaper alternative isn't hard to find with very little leg work.

Same with Byrne X-Men, easy to find cheaper alternative to slabbed copies.

beat me to it. aren't white covers the easiest to pancake into higher labels?

For me it is Walking Dead. The show is popular but I see it as the show LOST. Very popular for a few years and then it fades away.

The comic book sales of WD I think are very much driven by some newer comic book speculators buying as many as they can lay their hands on. Once the tv show dies down like LOST and some want to cash in on their stock piles of WD comics.. I think we will see a plummeting of the prices. This is a story we have seen before. But of course I could be wrong..we will see.