• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Comics You personally can't Understand Cost So Much

682 posts in this topic

All the early Australia Phantoms are very expensive. Low supply plus a fair size (by local standards) colelctor base = high prices. Not so hard to understand. Having said that, that one is overpriced for grade.

You also have to watch for the 1990s facsimile edition being sold as an original. There are very small differences between them, but it involves measuring distances between edges and features to a mm or so! (Or so I've been told.)

WOW! Thanks for the tip.

I've really only been collecting bat books... but I loved the Phantom growing up.. it was the first comic I followed, like most Aussies I guess. Even the people at work who tease me when a new shipment of slabs arrive then ask me a short while later if I have any Phantom's lying around at home they could read!

Didn't the Phantom achieve major star status in Australia in the 1950s?

It still is the ONLY comic I can find in any newsagent I go into where I live.

There are LCS down south in the cities that stock DC/Marvel/Image etc etc etc.. but only the Phantom locally.

Not sure what year he hit pay dirt here - but he's still there.

All the early Australia Phantoms are very expensive. Low supply plus a fair size (by local standards) colelctor base = high prices. Not so hard to understand. Having said that, that one is overpriced for grade.

You also have to watch for the 1990s facsimile edition being sold as an original. There are very small differences between them, but it involves measuring distances between edges and features to a mm or so! (Or so I've been told.)

WOW! Thanks for the tip.

I've really only been collecting bat books... but I loved the Phantom growing up.. it was the first comic I followed, like most Aussies I guess. Even the people at work who tease me when a new shipment of slabs arrive then ask me a short while later if I have any Phantom's lying around at home they could read!

Didn't the Phantom achieve major star status in Australia in the 1950s?

Still being published locally by Jim Shepherd at Frew and far from a spent force.

The character's popularity is a strange beast, a combination of his naivety and a kind of "he's so uncool he's cool" paradigm.

There have been many fan clubs over the years that have been dedicated to the Phantom's history and code of conduct. The current (and most popular) incarnation is the Lee Falk Memorial Bengali Explorers' Club.

The L.F.M.B.E.C. will be having (another - their 25th) dinner in Sydney, coinciding with Supanova in June with Alex Saviuk as a guest speaker.

As to the legitimacy of the #1 on offer, the way I have distinguished between the original and the reprint is that the reprint has a "bullet hole" in the skull.

Here's the GCD:

Original Phantom #1

Reprinted Phantom #1

Tales to Astonish #27.

First appearance of Ant-Man for $500 in "Good" condition? Get out of here.

No one likes Ant-Man, and if you say you do, you're lying.

That's where you're wrong, I LOVE this book, and Ant-Man came before 98% of mainstream Marvel super-heroes so he's a veteran. This is a personal grail of mine.

And no, I'm not lying. ;)

I started reading him in Marvel Feature and I've always liked the character. TTA #27 was the last big key I bought.

DG

Pep 22. Not hating on it, but I just can't believe the prices it commands.

It is a major first appearance, and it's super rare. (shrug)

$200...for a low grade bronze book that isn't the first appearance of Wolverine. Why?

And thus the arguing and relative value debates begin.

It would really help if you'd post more so we'd know what we were going to say and avoid wasting the time it takes to read multipage threads.