• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Comics You personally can't Understand Cost So Much

682 posts in this topic

I just talked to a ComicBook Shop in Austin the shop had had a Hulk 181 on the wall since last summer maybe a 5.0 to a 5.5 pretty bad spine split and the color had faded he wanted 700 I pointed out to owner that was over guide and that the book had been there since last August offerred 500 no dice.

$500 is a very fair offer. He's crazy to let it sit on the wall and fade

rather than accept your offer.

Yep. I'd even say $500 is more than generous.

Since nobod else has said it yet, how about WD #1 9.9? :devil::baiting:

Touché

Perspective Perspective Perspective

dogcat.jpg

lol

^^

I just talked to a ComicBook Shop in Austin the shop had had a Hulk 181 on the wall since last summer maybe a 5.0 to a 5.5 pretty bad spine split and the color had faded he wanted 700 I pointed out to owner that was over guide and that the book had been there since last August offerred 500 no dice.
I'm not sure Austin is the best place in Texas to buy back issues.

I gotta go with WWBN 32. I know he's got some fans around here but Moon Knight is the definition of a 2nd tier(at BEST!) character. 500 beans for a 9.2?!? I dont get it (shrug)

+1 & WBN #33.

Even likely being the biggest MK fan there is, I gotta agree a bit. *shrug*

Possibly only due to rarity of nice copies? If the crazy inflated prices of the last decade didn't draw out all the super high quality copies, I'm not sure what would. We may have seen most of them and there are still only 6 9.8's of #32 (yes, I'm still looking for one! :baiting:) and 3 of #33.

Undercopies are still pretty cheap, but once you get to the 9.2+ levels it gets pretty crazy.

I gotta go with WWBN 32. I know he's got some fans around here but Moon Knight is the definition of a 2nd tier(at BEST!) character. 500 beans for a 9.2?!? I dont get it (shrug)

+1 & WBN #33.

Even likely being the biggest MK fan there is, I gotta agree a bit. *shrug*

Possibly only due to rarity of nice copies? If the crazy inflated prices of the last decade didn't draw out all the super high quality copies, I'm not sure what would. We may have seen most of them and there are still only 6 9.8's of #32 (yes, I'm still looking for one! :baiting:) and 3 of #33.

Undercopies are still pretty cheap, but once you get to the 9.2+ levels it gets pretty crazy.

I'd agree - on several points. I'm an old school MK fan, and I'm glad to see that he's popular enough to drive up prices. My take on it is that high grade copies might be difficult to find. It seems like those horror titles were good sellers at the time, and much more prone to being handled and trashed by readers - rather than read, neatly sacked and forgotten about. I routinely look for high grade raw books of WWBN and don't see them terribly often.

But, that's just a personal speculation - I don't have registry or press numbers to back that up.

Some of the shops around here are in love with their wall books. They are faded beyond recognition and they still think they will bring top buck. A LCS by me has a Daredevil #168 that has all of the color totally bleached out of it from sun exposure.

I have been in the store and heard people inquire about the book. " But its the first appearance of Elektra". Trouble is, you cant tell who's on the cover anymore.

There's a shop not far from me that is mostly gaming, but they have some comics. Nice selection of dollar books, though at this point they've been picked pretty clean (mostly by me as far as I can tell). They have $5 "wall" books by the door, which they often keep open, so not only are they faded by light, but they have also been F-ed up by the elements. I considered a couple that were Adams SA covers, but it looked like they were decomposing inside the bags. Oh well. And behind the counter they have some decent ventage stuff...but the prices! Where are they getting these prices? They had a Batman 227 that has been sitting in the same bag for at least 10 years with the same price tag on it...it is around a 4.0 - 5.0.....at first glance I thought it was $10...in which case I'd jump all over it, and then I saw another zero!!! $100 for a 4.0 - 5.0 copy of batman 227 that was priced up at least 10 years ago!!! was that even close to $100 in OPG in NM 10 years ago? They're nice folks and, like I said, they put some decent stuff in the dollar boxes, so I'm not going to negotiate...and, in any event, it would be hard to get them to take $20 for the bats 227 or whatever I'm willing to pay, even if I show them the guide and educate them on grading, no way they can knock $80 off the price tag for me.

I never understood the reason why LCS's would have wall books that they never rotated, dealt on or tried to sell. When I had my shop, I had about 100 Snap Happys on the wall, and my goal was to constantly be rotating stuff in and out of them. I used them to showcase and sell decent books I didn't want to get damaged by being in the bins. I was constantly climbing up the wall every day removing books.

I've been to shops in Denver and NYC - and it's the same thing - books on the wall that look like they haven't moved in 10 years. I'll never understand the misuse of that valuable wallspace by putting something on it that they don't want/intend to sell.

Tales to Astonish #27.

First appearance of Ant-Man for $500 in "Good" condition? Get out of here.

No one likes Ant-Man, and if you say you do, you're lying.

Ant-Man is one of my favorite characters, and the in-between atmosphere of these covers and issues is unparalled, even comparing them to the best Marvel silver age covers. Some have an "otherworldly" quality to them

And I’m not lying. :)

I apologize for resurrecting an old and so questionable thread, but that observation clearly showed a superficial kind of attitude, beside personal tastes. ;)

Silver

FF 48-50 (Uber common books people, wake up!)

Cap 100

Hulk 102

Bronze

About 75-80% of Bronze age Marvel in general

(Including keys)

Green Lantern 76

Copper/Modern

All Cerebus the Aardvark books

All Chew books

I was going to agree on the FF48-50. I keep putting the purchase of an 8.0 or higher copy of FF 48 because it seems to be a book that is common as hell. I have a harder time finding a copy of some of the earlier Spidey's than I do that FF 48.

Star Wars #1 (35 cent variant). Star Was #1 without the 35 cent variant is dirt cheap, but that 35 cent price really bumps that book. Why? Because the price on it is different? It's the same damn book either way.

Agreed. Price variants are silly when you really think about it.

I love random comments on 8 month old threads! (:

All the early Australia Phantoms are very expensive. Low supply plus a fair size (by local standards) colelctor base = high prices. Not so hard to understand. Having said that, that one is overpriced for grade.

You also have to watch for the 1990s facsimile edition being sold as an original. There are very small differences between them, but it involves measuring distances between edges and features to a mm or so! (Or so I've been told.)

All the early Australia Phantoms are very expensive. Low supply plus a fair size (by local standards) colelctor base = high prices. Not so hard to understand. Having said that, that one is overpriced for grade.

You also have to watch for the 1990s facsimile edition being sold as an original. There are very small differences between them, but it involves measuring distances between edges and features to a mm or so! (Or so I've been told.)

WOW! Thanks for the tip.

I've really only been collecting bat books... but I loved the Phantom growing up.. it was the first comic I followed, like most Aussies I guess. Even the people at work who tease me when a new shipment of slabs arrive then ask me a short while later if I have any Phantom's lying around at home they could read!