• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Comics You personally can't Understand Cost So Much

682 posts in this topic

I could see a square bound's print-run/circulation getting messed up if there were some terrible production problems and spines were splitting in half and tons needed to get chucked, leaving some newstands short...but had that been the case for SS 4, i think we would have heard that

This whole thread reminds me of seeing a Hulk 377 on the back wall of a little startup comics shop, with a 10-dollar sticker on it.The comic had only come out a few months prior. I asked "why is that issue going for 10 dollars?" and the Clueless Tough behind the counter barked a mildly threatened "Cause that's what it's worth!" I only asked because I owned a copy and didn't realize it was so special.

Attempting to fill out my Avengers run, I was surprised to notice that I was missing issue 71, and that it carries a slight premium because it's the first Invaders. I wouldn't have thought that would amount to much, since all the characters had appeared before. Apparently there's a market for early retcons.

Hell, thats NOTHING for blackstar!

He has a SS xmen 1 6.0 for 14k more than a 9.0 would cost and a SS ASM 6 1.5 for like $1400 more than a 9.0 would cost!

I'd really like to know if he has EVER sold even a single comic book at those ridiculous prices?!?

Some of the shops around here are in love with their wall books. They are faded beyond recognition and they still think they will bring top buck. A LCS by me has a Daredevil #168 that has all of the color totally bleached out of it from sun exposure.

I have been in the store and heard people inquire about the book. " But its the first appearance of Elektra". Trouble is, you cant tell who's on the cover anymore.

Some of the shops around here are in love with their wall books. They are faded beyond recognition and they still think they will bring top buck. A LCS by me has a Daredevil #168 that has all of the color totally bleached out of it from sun exposure.

I have been in the store and heard people inquire about the book. " But its the first appearance of Elektra". Trouble is, you cant tell who's on the cover anymore.

Wall storage is the number two damager of comics right behind moms.

I like the guy who owns this shop too. I've told him numerous times, have a sale and move all of those wall books out. They've been up there for years. Put a new set up there and start over. He says he likes them up there for people to look at. that, you have to move inventory while it still looks like inventory and not a blank piece of paper.

I just talked to a ComicBook Shop in Austin the shop had had a Hulk 181 on the wall since last summer maybe a 5.0 to a 5.5 pretty bad spine split and the color had faded he wanted 700 I pointed out to owner that was over guide and that the book had been there since last August offerred 500 no dice.

$500 is a very fair offer. He's crazy to let it sit on the wall and fade

rather than accept your offer.

Green Lantern 76. $200 for a VG+? Really?

I agree. But I'm a total Marvel Zombie so I'm willing to let it slide. Also, I'm biased because of the gorgeous 9.0 copy of #75 that I had that sold for $27. I mean, c'mon! #75 came out i month earlier. They're right next to each other for cryin' out loud.

I just talked to a ComicBook Shop in Austin the shop had had a Hulk 181 on the wall since last summer maybe a 5.0 to a 5.5 pretty bad spine split and the color had faded he wanted 700 I pointed out to owner that was over guide and that the book had been there since last August offerred 500 no dice.

Yep. I'd even say $500 is more than generous.

Since nobod else has said it yet, how about WD #1 9.9? :devil::baiting:

Yep. I'd even say $500 is more than generous.

Since nobod else has said it yet, how about WD #1 9.9? :devil::baiting:

Touché

Perspective Perspective Perspective

dogcat.jpg

There's a shop in Portland, Maine that has an X-men 94 on the wall that is probably about a Fine except the cover is almost completely faded white. They want $300 for it, reasoning that it's in "beautiful shape except for the fading". I'm guessing it will hang on that wall until it fades itself into a $300 blank.

That Green Lantern Books (76) confuses the hell out of me. There is no reason that book should be so much. Neal Adams/Denny O'Niel can't possibly mean that much for it to cost so much.

I totally agree. Baffles me too.