• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Heritage auction today - post your wins, interesting results, notes, comments...

114 posts in this topic

makes me think the market may have to take a new look on recreations. We have all snubbed our noses cause they arent "real" comic art, and were drawn for a buck years after the fact, and usually are pretty stale being teh work of old men revisiting their youthful talents.

But, in time, could these be viable collectibles? I mean, they were drawn BY the same artists OF key comic images. In essence they ARE pieces created the artists arent they? By hand, to the best of their abilities at the time.

Certainly the BEST recreated work might have an collector base. Heritage took pains to state the incredible detail by Jazzy here.

If it sounds like Im defending this, no way. Just asking if a new trend MIGHT be developing here. Probably just two very eager Romita fans.

big daddy roth rat fink commission 41k??? again, W.T.F. !!!

That one was $30k before internet bidding closed. It's one of his most recognizable images and he has a HUGE following in automotive circles. I think the majority of his art was auctioned through an auto memorabilia auction.

makes me think the market may have to take a new look on recreations. We have all snubbed our noses cause they arent "real" comic art, and were drawn for a buck years after the fact, and usually are pretty stale being teh work of old men revisiting their youthful talents.

But, in time, could these be viable collectibles? I mean, they were drawn BY the same artists OF key comic images. In essence they ARE pieces created the artists arent they? By hand, to the best of their abilities at the time.

Certainly the BEST recreated work might have an collector base. Heritage took pains to state the incredible detail by Jazzy here.

If it sounds like Im defending this, no way. Just asking if a new trend MIGHT be developing here. Probably just two very eager Romita fans.

From experience I have found commission collectors to be an unstable lot.

lol

big daddy roth rat fink commission 41k??? again, W.T.F. !!!

That one was $30k before internet bidding closed. It's one of his most recognizable images and he has a HUGE following in automotive circles. I think the majority of his art was auctioned through an auto memorabilia auction.

well I guess I am just out of the loop then. I would have thought 10-20k not 40k

lol

hm

For some reason I don't really like recreations that much, art-wise they can be magnificent, but part of the hobby for me is nostalgia, getting that real page that the artist "created" not "copied" I used to own the cover recreation Dave Cockrum made of his Uncanny X-men 145; it's one of my favourite covers of all time (Doom !) and it's the only recreation Cockrum ever made of this page, but each time I looked at it, there was something nagging at me and in the end I traded it...it just didn't "connect" with me (shrug)

lol

lol

Whoever owns the original cover art to ASM #100 is licking his chops right now. That money easily buys an original Romita Spidey cover, right?

no kidding and yes, depending on the issue

peanuts came back to earth after a couple of disgustingly strong outings lately with 90s pieces going for 18k and whatnot.

one piece at 9k this time and the glazed donut strip I liked at 11 or 12k. sunday finished around 50k

There is certainly a place in the market/hobby for recreations, but a mind-blowingly strong showing like the ASM #100 today I think is a one-off.

Wonder if somebody is going to take a chance on the Kirby AF 15 recreation now after this sale. hm

There is certainly a place in the market/hobby for recreations, but a mind-blowingly strong showing like the ASM #100 today I think is a one-off.

Wonder if somebody is going to take a chance on the Kirby AF 15 recreation now after this sale. hm

I heard Burkey sold it at San Diego.