• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A.S.M. #1 Question?

17 posts in this topic

Was out having lunch yesterday with the wife an went over to a local shop that sells mostly anime items, swords, and action figures. I know this guy pretty good and he does have some comics.

He says a women came in there last week with A.S.M. #1. He purchased the book off of her and proceeded to show it to me. I may be able to buy this book but have not got down to price yet. I took some pics of it, and here is the question.

At a quick glance I would say the book is a strong 4.0/4.5. It has a price sticker that looks like it has been on there for some time. As you can see, it is over he original 12 cent price. O.K. as you can see the sticker residue has been absorded into the paper on the inside cover shot. If I buy this book.

A. Have the sticker removed?

B. Slab it as is and leave it alone?

C. Sell it raw?

D. Put a blow torch to it to loosen the sticker residue and peel it off myself?

DSC00587.jpg

spidy2.jpg

spidy3.jpg

DSC00579.jpg

I would talk to Susan Cicconi at the Restoration Lab.

http://www.therestorationlab.com

Great book brother,looks like a keeper. :applause:

If it were me I would leave it alone and sub as is.

I won't be able to talk to this guy until next week. I will have to see if he has a price in mind to sell it at.

DR.X

From the pic it looks as if the sticker is already lifting a little on the left hand side.

I would find it hard to resist the temptation of trying to gently pull it off myself. Which is exactly why you shouldn't listen to me!

seriously though, I would prefer the slight residual stain to the actual sticker so I would just get it professionally removed then sub it.

Still a great copy either way :golfclap:

I looked at this myself. The sticker is firmly attached. I passed on it based on two things.

1) Not wanting to put the money into it to have the sticker removed.

2) Not being 100% sure how much of a downgrade it would get with the sticker still intact.

It's a nice copy overall with nice eye appeal, solid staples good page quality, minimal chipping etc. If the sticker wasn't there I'd have snagged it.

The red "15c" actually is pretty cool playing off the red title letters IMO. If not Susan, you might also check with boardie MasterCntrlProgram...

I think I might be happy with just leaving it...pretty nice looking copy! :headbang:

I would let it be! It's a beauty.

I also wouldn't slab it unless you plan on re-selling it. Although having CGC check for restoration is a valuable tool, I don't think you need to worry about that here.

Put it in a nice Mylar.

If you get it, i would leave the sticker. As someone else said, i think the sticker actually looks better than the 12 cent price box. It blends with the cover very nicely.

Removing it and having an ugly brown spot may make it grade higher but imo it wouldnt present nearly as nice as it does with the sticker

Great ASM #1 variant! Looking at the brown circular mark left by the sticker at the back of the fc, I think it would probably be best to leave as is. The sticky residue would remain on the 12c mark and to me would be a pain to look at.

I've actually seen a Hulk #1 on ebay a few months ago with that same 15c sticker at the price. I'm wondering if it came from the same person