• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Whatever Happened to..

20 posts in this topic

I was going through some old auction catalogs today and came across these from the Greg Manning auctions from 2000/01. I was busy collecting the "newest" and "hottest" moderns at the time :frustrated: and never bothered to buy anything from these. :frustrated: x 2.

If only I could go back in time to just 2000 and start buying again!!! There were some great books in these and the "estimated" sale price would make you cry.

I know Bill Hughes was part of these auctions, but never knew who Greg Manning was, or whatever happened to his auctions. Anybody know?

Here are some pix I snapped of a couple of catalogs...

This is the front cover from Fall 2000 complete with gold foil stamping.

000_0292.jpg

There was a great article in this catalog about the GA Spectre. Here is the first page...

000_0294.jpg

This catalog was about 300 pages and was split between comics and movie posters. This is the back cover...

000_0295.jpg

Here is a catalog from 2001 which featured tons of comics (and some books at crazy low prices, looking back) and some beautiful original art (dirt cheap) and paintings by Ken Kelly..

000_0303.jpg

Here are some listings from this catalog...

000_0299.jpg

000_0297.jpg

000_0296.jpg

Some cool SA books also.

000_0305.jpg

Some nice Actions and Superman...

000_0308.jpg

Anyway, I thought these were pretty cool and thought I'd share.

— Rick

I sold a book to John Lee which ended up in Greg Mannings auction. John was part of another group that auctioned comics. I think he partnered with Microbia (ebay name) and sold a bunch through Alan Light's CBG.

bb

Don't know what happened to John either but someone told me he was a lawyer and moved to the west coast.

I was going through the Greg Manning catalogs last week and noting quite a number of books that had made the rounds of various auction houses/sites since then.

Manning was initially a stamp auction company that was expanding into different areas. They contracted with Bill Hughes to start a comics division but didn't renew their contract when it was up. I'm not sure they were entirely happy with the experience.

I read an article back in 2001 or 2002 that their warehouse was flooded. Some comics for an upcoming auction, which I believe never took place, were damaged while others were saved by the CGC slabs. I always felt that there was curiously little information about this. Greg Manning entered the comics market at the perfect time and could have had a huge impact on the market if they had continued.

The company continued auctioning stamps and other collectibles and was later listed (very) successfully on Nasdaq (GMAI) and changed its name to "Escala Group" (ESCL). The last I heard of it was a big scandal related to some kind of financials. Don't know what happened after that.

What about the Hughes? I use to visit their site "Archangels" but I can't find it anymore.

http://www.archangels.com/home.php

Archangels is run Rob Hughes who is not related to Bill Hughes but did work for him/with him on more than one occasion. He produced the catalogs for the Greg Manning sales.

Bill Hughes is Vintage Collectibles and he still does auctions on eBay.

I bid and won items from the Greg Manning's auctions. I noticed that I won about 8 lots.

Seven of the lots got bid up to a small amount below my max bid so I won them at

my max bid. The eighth lot was the one with my smallest bid; I won it with one unit

($10.) below my max bid.

The probability of this happening by "accident" is too low to bother calculating. It

looks like they had a shill who could look in their auction database and learn just

how high he could go without winning the lot. The one lot won below the maximum

was, in my opinion, used to eliminate complaints about shilling.

That was the last Manning auction. The next catalog I got was from Heritage

which I believed must have bought Manning out. Statements above confirm

that and give a reason for the change.

A) I have NEVER seen similar results from Heritage. I have won items well below

my maximum bid and I continue to bid at Heritage.

B) While some of the items I got from Manning were a bit pricy for the time, they

sure look cheap in retrospect (although I have not bothered to look up the prices

I paid). They included issues of Action in the range 8 - 40.

What about the Hughes? I use to visit their site "Archangels" but I can't find it anymore.

Archangels is run Rob Hughes who is not related to Bill Hughes but did work for him/with him on more than one occasion. He produced the catalogs for the Greg Manning sales.

doh! and I knew that. I have bought from Bill before and always a great experience for me.

doh! and I knew that. I have bought from Bill before and always a great experience for me.

There is a lot of negative behind-the-scenes information involving Bill Hughes, including major debts and litigation.

Alas, I wish it were the 2nd highest! (thumbs u

Tis not. :cry: 6 unrestored copies higher (highlighted below in bold).

But I probably can claim it is one of the best looking 5.5s out there! :cloud9:

Universal Qualified Signature Series Restored

See Detail Total

Mint 10.0 0 0 0 0 0

Mint 9.9 0 0 0 0 0

Near Mint/Mint 9.8 0 0 0 0 0

Near Mint + 9.6 0 0 0 0 0

Near Mint 9.4 0 0 0 0 0

Near Mint - 9.2 2 0 0 2 4

Very Fine/Near Mint 9.0 0 0 0 0 0

Very Fine + 8.5 0 0 0 3 3

Very Fine 8.0 0 0 0 2 2