• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

FLIPTASTIC! A Tale of Woe, Intrigue, and Duplicity NOW with easy tabs!!

F. face or Hot place.  

429 members have voted

1. 1. F. face or Hot place.

569 posts in this topic

Mr. Penny,

Do you have any Adams posters for sale either directly or through a second or tertiary party affiliate that I could buy for a price I agree to and am willing to pay?

Person K

Mr. Penny,

Do you have any Adams posters for sale either directly or through a second or tertiary party affiliate that I could buy for a price I agree to and am willing to pay?

Person K

I wanted the Adams poster.

Then I wanted the Adams poster flip profit.

Then I decided I didn't want the flip profit & decided to keep the Adams poster & trick you about the whole affair.

I'm like this :ohnoez:

If it can be confirmed with a tracking number that the item was delivered to my PO BOX on Monday as FCM states, then I will pay Surfer 5 times what he has paid me for the poster. I will also search eBay every day until I can locate a replacement for him; at which time I will purchase it & forward it to him for free. Or I will buy it from one of the Boards members in this thread.

May I have the tracking number to confirm the Monday delivery please, FCM?

I will also send $100 to FCM if Monday delivery to my PO BOX can be confirmed through tracking.

I voted for A) right away based on FCM's first post,

only to find out it was Bill.

I made the right call.

*Ogami is not responsible for any misunderstandings or mismanagement of this post as a result of the reader's lack of understanding of Ogami and Bill's relationship. Reader accepts all responsibilities for misquoting or abusing Bill as a result of this post. All taxes, fees and titles may apply. Ogami further makes no claims to the superior, or even adequate nature of this post being funny, and is fairly certain that he is NOT indeed clever and/or helpful in the current thread climate. Finally, the "whee" is a symbol of Ogami's typical post tone in that it is nonsensical, slightly inebriatory and lower than normal IQ. :whee:

lol you are very funny. I enjoy your posts!

And frankly, if it's an open flip between collecting colleagues and a buyer flips it for an extra $10 or $20 dollars, split the difference with the original seller as a matter of good faith (shrug)

Rodan, I love your posts, and you are often a great voice of reason. But this grinds my gears so bad, I can't let it go.

When someone sells something, and they are not under undue influence and haven't taken a sharp blow to the head, they get their money and that is it. (I understand that we are also talking about this in the context the drop shipping aspect as well) But the idea that FCM was grifted or cheated or should share in any future profits is shocking to me. And it pervades this Board.

I love the collegiality and the community of this Board, I absolutely do. But the idea that someone sells something for their price and then should somehow, as a good faith gesture, receive future benefit does not comport with my value system.

I don't want to imply that flipping is bad. Seeing a bargain and the scope for profit due to one's own experience, knowledge and contacts is just a function of the marketplace.

I was thinking along the lines of what to do when one declares oneself a broker in a larger deal after the fact -- and when one adds to the responsibility of the original seller in requesting a third-party shipping destination. In other words, compensation to smooth over a perhaps awkward request.

You know I love you Mr. Conan, but I would say getting a seller to ship something you already flipped for profit to the new buyer may not be the most tactful way to get a deal done.

If it were me, I wouldn't care; if my price is met on an item and I'm paid for it, I don't really care what the buyer does with it, subsequently. But I can also see how this would annoy FCM.

I asked Silver Surfer to start a 3-way PM with FCM & for Silver Surfer to make the direct ship request himself.

I was at the airport waiting on my family to arrive from DC. They had just flown in & out of a hurricane after coming in from Vienna.

For the record, I don't condone starting threads whining about stuff that could easily be settled via PM. ;)

+1

Especially for a $14 or $15 item... It is really childish to complain publicly about such a transaction instead of trying to resolve this in PM...

That's what I understood you to mean.

To clarify, at no time did FCM say anything to me about being bothered by my profit; rather he

stated others might be offended by the shipping request but that that didn't offend him much.

He wanted to know the resale price. He didn't say why.

In this thread he states I treated him as my 'lackey.' I hoped to make things easier & more logical for the 3 parties re:shipping.

I wasn't shy & didn't suspect I needed to be shy about the resale.

I don't want to imply that flipping is bad. Seeing a bargain and the scope for profit due to one's own experience, knowledge and contacts is just a function of the marketplace.

I was thinking along the lines of what to do when one declares oneself a broker in a larger deal after the fact -- and when one adds to the responsibility of the original seller in requesting a third-party shipping destination. In other words, compensation to smooth over a perhaps awkward request.

On that we can agree completely.

:news:

Just visited my PO BOX again.

Jerry Weist Collection Heritage Catalog delivered!

Nothing from FCM :(

I'll send you a free box of 90's Rob Liefeld Image comics if Monday delivery of the Thor poster to your PO BOX can be confirmed through tracking. (You pay postage)

If you donate $10 to the CBLDF, I'll burn them for you first.

Let me know, I have another interested party that I'm speaking to via PM. :wishluck:

lol don't tell me- tell Sean.

I voted for A) right away based on FCM's first post,

only to find out it was Bill.

I made the right call.

*Ogami is not responsible for any misunderstandings or mismanagement of this post as a result of the reader's lack of understanding of Ogami and Bill's relationship. Reader accepts all responsibilities for misquoting or abusing Bill as a result of this post. All taxes, fees and titles may apply. Ogami further makes no claims to the superior, or even adequate nature of this post being funny, and is fairly certain that he is NOT indeed clever and/or helpful in the current thread climate. Finally, the "whee" is a symbol of Ogami's typical post tone in that it is nonsensical, slightly inebriatory and lower than normal IQ. :whee:

lol you are very funny. I enjoy your posts!

I've got at least one of those. I'm pretty sure I have two.I'd be happy to sell them to the highest bidder. PM me your best offer.

:takeit: one at $10 higher than the highest bidder.

:cloud9:

:shy:

Why is everyone so hot for this poster? :screwy:

And by poster, I mean the item in question, not Roy.

And by poster, I mean the item in question, not Roy.

Not to say that I don't understand Roy's hotness.

Items such as this depict characters and storylines that evoke strong feelings of nostalgia in some people. That nostalgia in turn evokes a desire in such people to own such an item, as a means of recapturing the joys of their youth. Once this feeling is acknowledged and understood, some people seek to purchase those items thereby closing the loop on their nostalgic urges.

Items such as this depict characters and storylines that evoke strong feelings of nostalgia in some people. That nostalgia in turn evokes a desire in such people to own such an item, as a means of recapturing the joys of their youth. Once this feeling is acknowledged and understood, some people seek to purchase those items thereby closing the loop on their nostalgic urges.

It's also a pretty cool poster :)

This is a tempest in a teapot but it does touch upon concepts of propriety that are worth exploring.

Unless one is really good friends with all parties involved, one ships to the buyer. If anything goes wrong with the shipment (loss/damage/disappointment with condition), the seller is dealing with the purchaser.

Shipping to a third party increase personal liability for delivery and condition. Some may see the increased responsibilty to be negligible below a certain price point -- but it's there.

I am not sure that the amount of money matters* as to the politeness of the request to ship to a third party but not revealing the price of the subsequent sale can too easily be misinterpreted as rubbing salt into the wound. If it's an open flip make it an open flip.

And frankly, if it's an open flip between collecting colleagues and a buyer flips it for an extra $10 or $20 dollars, split the difference with the original seller as a matter of good faith and to recognize the increased responsibility of shipping to a third party. (shrug)

*Though it's probably worth remembering there is a vast range of collectors from many different backgrounds on this Board. For some $15 is less than spare change; for other $15 is part of a budget plan for a greater goal.

You are, of course, correct.

These issues have been discussed in detail on the Boards a few times, including a recent thread I believe.

I was acting in haste & was thoughtless. I should have foreseen these issues.

I requested that Surfer start the 3-way PM; which he did without objection.

Once started, three grown men stood together before each other in the PM -- FCM, Surfer, & I -- & discussed the shipping matter openly.

FCM made no complaints at that time, raised no objections, stated the item had already left with his bike messenger. He appeared displeased that he couldn't satisfy the request (that is an opinion of mine). It wasn't until 24 hours later that he PM'd me asking for the resale price. Surfer reports that he also PM'd Surfer at that time asking the resale price. Both of us declined to disclose that number. I declined out of courtesy to Surfer. I have no objection to Surfer disclosing the number himself either to FCM or this thread.

This is where it should have all ended (in bold) and unfortunately it didn't.

I agree with Foolkiller, based on my previous experiences of making the same mistake. Some people can and do get offended by the route Tupenny took. I don't think you did anything wrong but in your haste to try and make this smooth you may have overlooked FCM's feelings on the matter, and that is a simple mistake to make as it is a grey area. Sometimes efficiency and expediency glosses over social graces in order to get the job done.

I think the key factor in my (and likely Tups) decision making in a matter such as this, was that we probably wouldn't get offended by such a request and simply projected that the seller would not get offended in this case either. I know that was the case with me.

Fixing things in private is both religiously, publicly and legally the option of choice and is much more conducive to both resolving a matter and building a community than releasing details to the masses and having the crowd "run with it" without actually a solid attempt at resolving the matter first.

Misunderstandings happen all the time and they are usually easy to deal with and solve as long as emotion and ego is checked at the door.