• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Show off your Uber High Grade UNDERGROUND COMIX !!!

348 posts in this topic

I just picked up some HELP! Magazines from the 1962 and one has a Wonder War-Hog story.

How long has WWH been around?

From Shelton's Wiki page:

"Directly after graduation, Shelton moved to New York City and got a job editing automotive magazines, where he would sneak his drawings into print. The idea for the character of Wonder Wart-Hog, a porcine parody of Superman, came to him in 1961. The following year, Shelton moved back to Texas to enroll in graduate school and get a student deferment from the draft. The first two Wonder Wart-Hog stories appeared in Bacchanal, a short-lived college humor magazine, in the spring of 1962. He then became editor of The Texas Ranger and published more Wonder Wart-Hog stories."

Here's many of the appearances. I've recently discovered a couple of reprints that weren't listed anywhere (one issue even had a WW-H parody I hadn't heard of called Wonder Wart-Piglet). I also received yesterday his reprinted appearance in the Florida Orange Peel college magazine.

I prize my copies of both issues of Bacchanal, try finding a copy out there for sale.

http://www.nmia.com/~vrbass/wart-hog/

Great website - now I'll have to dig out my collection to see what I don't have. It's especially handy for figuring out what story was first published where.

There are enough stories to compile an omnibus of Wonder Wart-Hog. Shelton, are you listening?

That would be very cool! I'd like to see it with a lengthy introduction/appreciation that really puts the character in perspective with the eras he appeared in. WWH's origins as college humor mag parody/social commentary, and then shifting to a hotrod magazine feature before becoming an Underground comics icon obscure his importance as one of the most original superheroes of the "Silver Age". If he had had a twenty-five year run in a self-titled book like Cerebus, the character would be far more widely collected than he is.

don't have to meny undergrounds......and two i'm not sure are considered underground or not ???

AirPiratesFunnies1.jpg

Cherry9.jpg

Cherry Poptart 1 9.2

not sure if this counts but i did buy it raw

FantasyQuarterly1.jpg

another i'm not sure as it's newer, but wasn't sold though the preview so from what i understand was not the easiest to get

GraveTales6.png