• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Show off your Uber High Grade UNDERGROUND COMIX !!!

348 posts in this topic

Are you complaining about the Cherry Poptart comics, or all of the books listing in this thread?

Well, the monsters are fine. I don't see the point in collecting comics about boobies or urination. Why would anyone pay good money for that kind of stuff? There's nothing inspiring about it at all.

Some of the artwork is amazing(i will miss alot so pardon me)Gilbert Shelton,Robert Crumb,Spain are some of my faves.

And yet you continue to open this thread...

Like I said, I don't care. I'm not offended. How about everyone else, though?

I'm sure they don't need a moral crusader to speak for them. In fact, I think most of them are mature enough to just not look at things they don't like, instead of ask for free scans of such things repeatedly in the very same thread where they complain that such things exist hm

I'm just looking to be educated, oh wise one. I'm also not complaining that these "things" exist. I'm complaining that people spend good time and money on them. WTF? I bet you wouldn't show that trash to your kids.

If my kids were of age or showed sufficient maturity and were interested in underground comix I'd be happy to share my collection with them.

I was considering scanning a few short stories out of Bizarre Sex for you but you've obviously already made up your mind. You can't call something trash and in the same breath ask where to find free scans and expect any kind of hospitality.

You don't want to be educated, you want to be proven right.

These books are not for you, you wouldn't enjoy or appreciate them.

Please leave now.

^^

Sweet Menace 5 (worship)

Are you complaining about the Cherry Poptart comics, or all of the books listing in this thread?

Well, the monsters are fine. I don't see the point in collecting comics about boobies or urination. Why would anyone pay good money for that kind of stuff? There's nothing inspiring about it at all.

Some of the artwork is amazing(i will miss alot so pardon me)Gilbert Shelton,Robert Crumb,Spain are some of my faves.

The art is pretty good. I'll give you that much.

1. Are nudity and drugs the main things that qualify a comic as an Underground?

2. Would the same type of story, if published by DC or Marvel, then not be an underground?

3. Does independent publisher + intended for adult audience = underground?

1. Not exactly, although one can loosely describe it as sex, drugs & rock n roll. Loosely, comics with an "x." The underground comix movement, depending upon source, runs from 1962-4 to 1973-7...

*1962-4 (Adv. of Jesus; God Nose)... w/ roots in college humor mags

*or 67 (Zap 1)... w/ roots in 50s fanzines

*Was also an avant garde art movement (centered around San Francisco, w/ other important foci, e.g. Milwaukee)

*adults as audience

*all rebelling against SOTI inspired restrictions and publishing outside the CCA

*largely self-published, w/ key publishers... Apex Novelties, Print Mint, Last Gasp, Kitchen Sink, etc.

*wholly distributed outside of usual channels, indeed the foundation of the direct market

*artists retain rights to work

until

*1973 (newspaper shortage; Supreme Ct ruling, local obscenity laws)

certainly over by publishing of Cerebus #1 c. 77?

*or Newave, or Ground-level (Star*Reach), or Alternative

2. No. Possibly a straight book could meet some of the criteria above, but in short no. Rather straight books publishing these stories were trying to capitalize on the popularity of u-comix.

3. I would argue no, that what you are describing is simply Alternative comics (what u-comix morphed into)... although u-comix laid the ground work for comics for adults.

And yet you continue to open this thread...

Like I said, I don't care. I'm not offended. How about everyone else, though?

I'm sure they don't need a moral crusader to speak for them. In fact, I think most of them are mature enough to just not look at things they don't like, instead of ask for free scans of such things repeatedly in the very same thread where they complain that such things exist hm

I'm just looking to be educated, oh wise one. I'm also not complaining that these "things" exist. I'm complaining that people spend good time and money on them. WTF? I bet you wouldn't show that trash to your kids.

If my kids were of age or showed sufficient maturity and were interested in underground comix I'd be happy to share my collection with them.

I was considering scanning a few short stories out of Bizarre Sex for you but you've obviously already made up your mind. You can't call something trash and in the same breath ask where to find free scans and expect any kind of hospitality.

You don't want to be educated, you want to be proven right.

These books are not for you, you wouldn't enjoy or appreciate them.

Please leave now.

^^

Sweet Menace 5 (worship)

That's actually my old copy - I need to change the image. My new one is a 7.5 :cloud9:

1. Are nudity and drugs the main things that qualify a comic as an Underground?

2. Would the same type of story, if published by DC or Marvel, then not be an underground?

3. Does independent publisher + intended for adult audience = underground?

1. Not exactly, although one can loosely describe it as sex, drugs & rock n roll. Loosely, comics with an "x." The underground comix movement, depending upon source, runs from 1962-4 to 1973-7...

*1962-4 (Adv. of Jesus; God Nose)... w/ roots in college humor mags

*or 67 (Zap 1)... w/ roots in 50s fanzines

*Was also an avant garde art movement (centered around San Francisco, w/ other important foci, e.g. Milwaukee)

*adults as audience

*all rebelling against SOTI inspired restrictions and publishing outside the CCA

*largely self-published, w/ key publishers... Apex Novelties, Print Mint, Last Gasp, Kitchen Sink, etc.

*wholly distributed outside of usual channels, indeed the foundation of the direct market

*artists retain rights to work

until

*1973 (newspaper shortage; Supreme Ct ruling, local obscenity laws)

certainly over by publishing of Cerebus #1 c. 77?

*or Newave, or Ground-level (Star*Reach), or Alternative

2. No. Possibly a straight book could meet some of the criteria above, but in short no. Rather straight books publishing these stories were trying to capitalize on the popularity of u-comix.

3. I would argue no, that what you are describing is simply Alternative comics (what u-comix morphed into)... although u-comix laid the ground work for comics for adults.

(worship)

Great thread!!!! I finally scanned a couple of my favs to share....tried not to pick books that have already been posted or with offensive covers... lol

For some reason, I just love this cover....don't know why...but there's just something about it that turns me on.... (shrug)

ugfantagor4.jpg