• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Best John Byrne Covers?

67 posts in this topic

Not to go too far off topic...but I was really loving Hidden Years ( finally, the REAL X-men ) and was sad to see it cancelled.

same here...personally I thought it was the best "modern" at the time and the series almost got me back to full time collecting before they cancelled the series and I haven't bought a book off the rack since.

Me three. JB say anything about the book's cancellation on his site, Casey? From what I recall, he was pretty pizzed about it.

Not to go too far off topic...but I was really loving Hidden Years ( finally, the REAL X-men ) and was sad to see it cancelled.

same here...personally I thought it was the best "modern" at the time and the series almost got me back to full time collecting before they cancelled the series and I haven't bought a book off the rack since.

Me three. JB say anything about the book's cancellation on his site, Casey? From what I recall, he was pretty pizzed about it.

Why were they "hidden years" ?

The stories all took place between X-Men #66 and #94 – the time when X-Men had gone to reprints.

The stories all took place between X-Men #66 and #94 – the time when X-Men had gone to reprints.

+1

It was a good book with some nice artwork, enhanced by Tom Palmer's inking, which also gave some sense of continuance from the Adams period.

More Hidden Byrne:

89139.jpg

#12 is one of my favourite, almost recapturing teh glory of his hey day art.

And thanks to Tom Palmer's superb inking o this post-modern retro-series, this run is a must-have for all classic marvel superhero art- the sentinels, savage land, you name it, all the Thomas/Adams magic re-continued and with the F4 Sinnott style!!!

More Hidden Byrne:

#12 is one of my favourite, almost recapturing teh glory of his hey day art.

And thanks to Tom Palmer's superb inking o this post-modern retro-series, this run is a must-have for all classic marvel superhero art- the sentinels, savage land, you name it, all the Thomas/Adams magic re-continued and with the F4 Sinnott style!!!

I agree! I really enjoyed reading X-men The Hidden Years. I only wish he had been allowed to finish the series. :(

For me, you can't beat X- Men 133, it had everything, and just screamed BUY ME from the stands.

As great as JB is though, I always felt that his work lost something when Austin didn't ink him. 2c

Maybe what you really like is Austin's inking and not JB's pencilling (shrug)

Ha, never thought of it like that. But you may be right. But in the same way that I prefer Palmer on Adams or Sinnott (and to a slightly lesser extent Royer) on Kirby, Austin just seems to bring out the best in Byrne.

Inkers often don't get the credit they deserve. They can sometimes make the difference between very good and exceptional.

Thanks to those who have posted covers of X-men: Hidden Yrs that i was so induced to check out those post 90s DC jByrne's work that i have ignored and missed and look what i found:

83769189731.1.P1.GIF

83769189731.1.P2.GIF

83769189731.1.P3.GIF

Though Mr Byrne had lost his more 'realistic' touch when it comes to drawing human beings, he still has got it on the solid background, especially when it comes to WWII superheroes material as was seen in great stuff found in the Invaders arc of Namor (10-12), notably:

55922740036.11.GIF