• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SW vs ST

Star Wars or Star Trek?  

348 members have voted

1. 1. Star Wars or Star Trek?

24 posts in this topic

It's like comparing sex to football.

The answer is "yes".

Star Wars is a swashbuckling, epic opera with all of the mythic archetypes fully inculcated from the human consciousness.

Star Trek is humanities modern religion (humanism) in it's funnest, sexiest, most bold package ever.

Looks like the lightsaber is beating the phaser hm

Star Trek Original Series = Star Trek wins.

Star Trek TNG = Star Trek wins by a landslide.

Star Trek Deep space 9 = Star Wars wins

Star Trek Voyager = Star Wars wins

Star Trek Enterprise = Star Wars wins

I like Star Trek in each of your examples better than Star Wars.

The first two, original, Star Wars movies might eek out a win over Babylon 5 though

The first two, original, Star Wars movies might eek out a win over Babylon 5 though

At its best, Star Trek aspired to be true science-fiction, the self-proclaimed literature of ideas. I'm thinking for example of the multiple moral dilemmas wrestled with in Harlan Ellison's episode "City on the Edge of Forever."

Star Wars-- at its best-- was a rollicking mythic fairy tale, transported into outer space.

Babylon 5 had a bit of both going for it. I thought it only rarely reached the heights of the very best original and TNG Star Trek episodes, but its extended arc over at least the first 4 seasons was very very strong, and its average quality across the entire franchise makes it the ^^

(Five B5 seasons versus 6 SW movies versus 5 different ST series)

I agree 100% with this post. :applause:

I wanted to vote so badly in this, but i find it's like comparing apples and oranges:

My brother and i grew up watching SW & ST (the original and best version of ST).

Problem is ST was a series and had much more time to touch various topics, and establish aspects of it's characters. SW was only 6 movies with not enough time spent on it's characters.

We've seen Kirk and Spock in so many different situations. Luke and Han are just running from and ploting against the Empire. It's not a fair comparison.