• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post your San Francisco/Tom Reilly books
4 4

856 posts in this topic

It's a shame bob cannot not get back on boards to address this once and for all. I think there is more to the story to be told. I was there bought almost 100 of them over two months and they broke the rule for on the purchase limit, but we need to find out before all parties have passed on.

Bob made a lengthy post about this collection on Facebook the other day

It's a shame bob cannot not get back on boards to address this once and for all. I think there is more to the story to be told. I was there bought almost 100 of them over two months and they broke the rule for on the purchase limit, but we need to find out before all parties have passed on.

Bob made a lengthy post about this collection on Facebook the other day

i'm believing that.

thanks, there is a lot of important information about the collection in that post. Bob is currently banned from the CGC boards which is a shame...whether you like him or not he is a very important and historical figure in the early comic book collecting days.

A great read, thanks for the link

Here it is, but I gotta warn ya...he doesn't seem to have a high opinion of us...and I'm too new here to even pretend to understand what that's all about...

He's banned from this site, he's in the Hall of Shame, and there are more tales of woe surrounding him than one can possibly imagine.

Not worth reading in the slightest...

Here it is, but I gotta warn ya...he doesn't seem to have a high opinion of us...and I'm too new here to even pretend to understand what that's all about...

He's banned from this site, he's in the Hall of Shame, and there are more tales of woe surrounding him than one can possibly imagine.

TMI...I try to stay out of other people's drama...it ain't worth it.

You might want to get your lawyer to read it...

Pretty much the story we've heard multiple times. Doesn't provide any insight into the problem that no one named Tom Reilly from Piedmont died during WW II. Does make it clear though -- to the extent that he is accurately recalling these long ago events -- that the name came from the sellers not from attempts to decipher the handwriting on the stamp.

One of the problems I have with the whole thing is that Bob put out a "list" of what he remembered to be in the collection a few years after he had sold it all. In that list, he put almost every Nedor printed from 1940-1945. Not a single Nedor from the SF collection has ever been graded. John Verzyl (who has been around just as long as Bob, & lived in the LA area for a long time) told me he had never even seen a Nedor or heard of a single Nedor from the SF collection. So where did they all go? Bob himself said he never sold more than 4-5 books from the collection at a single time, so they should be spread out all over the place! After 40 years, none have ever surfaced!

The fact that Bob says there are about 4,000 books in the collection, yet only about 120-140 have been graded, makes me believe the collection is FAR smaller than 4,000. For only about 3% of the collection to be graded is ridiculously low! I asked many "old time" dealers & collectors how many books they felt were in the collection & those numbers vary from as little as 500 to as high as 800. No one I talked to thought there was more than 1,000 books in the collection.

Certainly I was not there & I am relying on others, but what Bob recounts simply does not add up to the facts of today. Honestly, I guess it does not really matter. Whether the collection had 4,000 or 500 books in it, the books themselves are amazing... and that is the real truth!

very disappointing read-- no mention at all of his hips.

Yes there is. Read it again. :baiting:

You really didn't think he'd leave that part out, did you? :D

One of the problems I have with the whole thing is that Bob put out a "list" of what he remembered to be in the collection a few years after he had sold it all. In that list, he put almost every Nedor printed from 1940-1945. Not a single Nedor from the SF collection has ever been graded. John Verzyl (who has been around just as long as Bob, & lived in the LA area for a long time) told me he had never even seen a Nedor or heard of a single Nedor from the SF collection. So where did they all go? Bob himself said he never sold more than 4-5 books from the collection at a single time, so they should be spread out all over the place!

The fact that Bob says there are about 4,000 books in the collection, yet only about 120-140 have been graded, makes me believe the collection is FAR smaller than 4,000. For only about 3% of the collection to be graded is ridiculously low! I asked many "old time" dealers & collectors how many books they felt were in the collection & those numbers vary from as little as 500 to as high as 800. No one I talked to thought there was more than 1,000 books in the collection.

Certainly I was not there & I am relying on others, but what Bob recounts simply does not add up to the facts of today. Honestly, I guess it does not really matter. Whether the collection had 4,000 or 500 books in it, the books themselves are amazing... and that is the real truth!

It would be interesting to get Plant's recollection of all this.

I was at that Berkeley Con and remember Plant's being there (although it's so long ago that I might be mistaken), so I assume he had a role in buying the collection. BLB seems to be minimizing Plant's role in buying the collection in this retelling.

I could be wrong, but I always thought of Plant, not BLB, as running the show at Comics&Comix, but again I wouldn't have known what was going on behind the scenes. I did go by the store frequently and they didn't actively market the books to schmoes like me -- a broke college kid interested only in new books and low-price beater back issues.

One of the problems I have with the whole thing is that Bob put out a "list" of what he remembered to be in the collection a few years after he had sold it all. In that list, he put almost every Nedor printed from 1940-1945. Not a single Nedor from the SF collection has ever been graded. John Verzyl (who has been around just as long as Bob, & lived in the LA area for a long time) told me he had never even seen a Nedor or heard of a single Nedor from the SF collection. So where did they all go? Bob himself said he never sold more than 4-5 books from the collection at a single time, so they should be spread out all over the place!

It would be interesting to get Plant's recollection of all this.

I was at that Berkeley Con and remember Plant's being there (although it's so long ago that I might be mistaken), so I assume he had a role in buying the collection. BLB seems to be minimizing Plant's role in buying the collection in this retelling.

I could be wrong, but I always thought of Plant, not BLB, as running the show at Comics&Comix, but again I wouldn't have known what was going on behind the scenes. I did go by the store frequently and they didn't actively market the books to schmoes like me -- a broke college kid interested only in new books and low-price beater back issues.

I very rarely ever saw plant at the bay area store, as I recall he ran the san jose shop which was the first one they started. I saw at least 1000 of those books sold at the bay area store....I was only interested in the DC's but they also sold me a couple of timelys. I know they had other books, I just cannot recall if they were nedor's.

Edited by Mmehdy

One of the problems I have with the whole thing is that Bob put out a "list" of what he remembered to be in the collection a few years after he had sold it all. In that list, he put almost every Nedor printed from 1940-1945. Not a single Nedor from the SF collection has ever been graded. John Verzyl (who has been around just as long as Bob, & lived in the LA area for a long time) told me he had never even seen a Nedor or heard of a single Nedor from the SF collection. So where did they all go? Bob himself said he never sold more than 4-5 books from the collection at a single time, so they should be spread out all over the place! After 40 years, none have ever surfaced!

Manyak mentioned to me that the first pallet of books he and Nick bought were roughly 60 in number for $1,000. I keep imagining that Cap 1 rolled up in a rubber band. That's another book I've never seen publicly or privately.

Nedors had a little bit different distribution that other publishers. For instance I have heard that Nedors were the only comics available through the train system in the North East and some kids made special trips to the train stations to keep up with The Black Terror and Fighting Yank. In the Mile High collection they have a C-code marking, different than the usual D-code on most of the other books. I suspect it is possible that if there were Nedors in the San Fransiscos they would have something other than the usual G-code.

And now that Beerbohm has read this completely pie-in-the-sky conjecture hopefully he can incorporate it into his fanciful narrative.

Manyak mentioned to me that the first pallet of books he and Nick bought were roughly 60 in number for $1,000.

Bob says they only paid a dollar a book. $60? And he says that Mike and Nick were ethically challenged. Who are we to believe?

Manyak mentioned to me that the first pallet of books he and Nick bought were roughly 60 in number for $1,000.

Bob says they only paid a dollar a book. $60? And he says that Mike and Nick were ethically challenged. Who are we to believe?

memories are fading so I dunno lol. At $1000, that's less than $17 per book. Mike did say they paid roughly 40% of guide back then. Mike thinks the Cap 1 would grade a 9.0 today from what he remembers. What would 40% of guide been back then? I only have the 1980 guide as my oldest.

who has the clout to get beerbong's ban extended to a prohibition of any mention of him as well?