• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post your San Francisco/Tom Reilly books
4 4

856 posts in this topic

Well, I'd certainly want to hear a 2nd and possibly 3rd story behind the SF books. It's too bad that the people who were involved in selling the batches back then have passed on (except for Bob). I'm wondering if any of their family members had an recollection about stories that they may have told them or even a diary or journal about the find and what books were in the collection. There had to be a piece of paper where all the books were jotted down and accounted for. I can't imagine that none of them would make a list.

Well, I'd certainly want to hear a 2nd and possibly 3rd story behind the SF books. It's too bad that the people who were involved in selling the batches back then have passed on (except for Bob). I'm wondering if any of their family members had an recollection about stories that they may have told them or even a diary or journal about the find and what books were in the collection. There had to be a piece of paper where all the books were jotted down and accounted for. I can't imagine that none of them would make a list.

Did Bud Plant die? If so, I didn't realize it.

All that was mentioned by me, was his continual, repeated insistence that SACentaur is a thief and a liar.

I love it, I really do! :acclaim:

Every time he gets irrational and disparages me in public I like to believe that...

...another collector "gets his wings" and finally comes to the inescapable conclusion what a first class schmuck and manipulative con artist he truly is.

Did Bud Plant die? If so, I didn't realize it.

Or I guess one other person still living. I'm sure someone will know.

I think he's referring to straw man's mention of the hips but in fairness to S-M, I got the sense Bob wasn't above mentioning the hips when it suited him.

Honestly, I understand BLB has had a tough time with his hips and his daughter has suffered from a serious illness. But most of us have had -- and have close relatives who have had -- health problems of one kind or another. A passing mention is fine, but none of us is here to discuss our personal problems. My 2c

Who on this board remembers Rick durell supercollector

I do. Went to his house several times. One of the best comic collections I ever have seen!

Rick Durrell passed on before I ever met him; according to a mutual friend (Chuck McCleary), Rick owned a gas station and had quite a spectacular comic book collection. I believe that collection eventually went to Ernie Gerber (and a sad story it is).

Rick haunted the famous shops in Hollywood (Collectors Book Store, Bond Street Books, etc.) and sometimes we can catch a glimpse of him in vintage photos.

Shame that he died so young...

Here it is, but I gotta warn ya...he doesn't seem to have a high opinion of us...and I'm too new here to even pretend to understand what that's all about...

He's banned from this site, he's in the Hall of Shame, and there are more tales of woe surrounding him than one can possibly imagine.

Not worth reading in the slightest...

What exactly is your history with Beerbohm that causes such animosity?

Every time his name is mentioned on the boards, there is sacentaur with a disparaging comment. Do you have a Google alert to let you know when his name appears?

The level of negativity you show towards him is toxic.

The guy posted some interesting info about an important collection, and because you don't like him, you say it's

So fill us in, what is your history with Beerbohm that causes you to obsess about him so?

Here it is, but I gotta warn ya...he doesn't seem to have a high opinion of us...and I'm too new here to even pretend to understand what that's all about...

He's banned from this site, he's in the Hall of Shame, and there are more tales of woe surrounding him than one can possibly imagine.

Every time his name is mentioned on the boards, there is sacentaur with a disparaging comment. Do you have a Google alert to let you know when his name appears?

The guy posted some interesting info about an important collection, and because you don't like him, you say it's

So fill us in, what is your history with Beerbohm that causes you to obsess about him so?

lol, pot-kettle-black -- why don't you ask Mr. Beerbong about his behavior in regards to Steve. Perchance are you one of his facebook buddies? I am not. Proudly so.

lol, pot-kettle-black -- why don't you ask Mr. Beerbong about his behavior in regards to Steve. Perchance are you one of his facebook buddies? I am not. Proudly so.

Please. Don't bring me into it. Just want to hear why the hate from sacentaur...

Probably due to two strong personalities having a dispute over a misunderstanding...that's how most grudge matches begin. I don't know the story, but I can guess that Steve feels that Bob ripped him off somehow and Bob feels that Steve is wrong...I doubt either of them will admit to any blame...hence, a grudge match. What a waste of time...

Please. Don't bring me into it. Just want to hear why the hate from sacentaur...

Steve probably has his own stories to relate, but anybody (with a modicum of firing synapses) who observed Mr. Beerbong's relatively recent conduct regarding very, very, dangerously close to non-delivery of paid-for pulps, can probably decide which of the two individuals is the more trustworthy. My two cents.

Hopefully Steve won't mind that I answer for him as there are a few things that need to be understood, and I am sure that he won't mention them.

For those that do not know Steve, he is a retired police officer with a very deep sense of right and wrong. If someone is taking advantage of a situation Steve will be the first person to point it out to protect others. Bob has a long history of taking advantage of situations, personally and professionally. Some of us finally got fed up with Bob when he began using his personal tragedies as an impetus to solicit sales from his own eBay store, particularly via spam posts here and on various Facebook chat forums, and then proceeded to not deliver (in the case of the large pulp purchase), bait and switch, or woe-is-me sell vastly overpriced items. We called Bob out on it and he responded in his usual wonderful style, eventually being banned not only here, but from the Houston Fandom Facebook page and others.

So please understand that it is not hate that fuels Steve's posts, or mine, or any other person who has something to say in regards to Bob. It is simply a sense of "I am tired of this mess, I've been burned by it in the past, and I don't want any else to be burned by it in the future".

Hopefully Steve won't mind that I answer for him as there are a few things that need to be understood, and I am sure that he won't mention them.

For those that do not know Steve, he is a retired police officer with a very deep sense of right and wrong. If someone is taking advantage of a situation Steve will be the first person to point it out to protect others. Bob has a long history of taking advantage of situations, personally and professionally. Some of us finally got fed up with Bob when he began using his personal tragedies as an impetus to solicit sales from his own eBay store, particularly via spam posts here and on various Facebook chat forums, and then proceeded to not deliver (in the case of the large pulp purchase), bait and switch, or woe-is-me sell vastly overpriced items. We called Bob out on it and he responded in his usual wonderful style, eventually being banned not only here, but from the Houston Fandom Facebook page and others.

So please understand that it is not hate that fuels Steve's posts, or mine, or any other person who has something to say in regards to Bob. It is simply a sense of "I am tired of this mess, I've been burned by it in the past, and I don't want any else to be burned by it in the future".

:applause: Well stated, Richard! (thumbs u

Thanks so much for the info! Always admirable to see someone watching out for others!

I watched the whole pulp non-delivery incident and it was shameful, totally non-defensible. And Bob was over the top about spamming the forum.

Just wondered if there was some specific original (failed) transaction between Steve and Bob that started the whole thing...

N

:applause: Well stated, Richard! (thumbs u

Much nicer than I could have managed! :)

I get that. Kudos for warning about potential pitfalls buyers might encounter. Far better than looking the other way.

But, no one on this thread is talking about doing business with Beerbhom. Some of the posts here criticizing everything Beerbohm has ever said are a bit overzealous. On this topic, he's got useful information and it doesn't help one bit to claim that everything the guy has ever said in his entire life is a lie and a plot when all people are trying to do is locate clues to the OO's identity. It just creates needless distraction and confusion. There's no reason to think that the Reilly story is that much different than as its been told. Every aspect of the story has checked out so far.

I appreciate efforts to protect buyers. But, that's not really an issue here, is it?

I watched the whole pulp non-delivery incident and it was shameful, totally non-defensible.

Let's also not forget the Jerry Bails situation either - willfully and intentionally defrauding your supposed best friend's widow is lower than low.

Might as well take investment advice from Bernie Madoff or listen to a character and ethics speech by Lance Armstrong - as I said, a complete waste of time.

I get that. Kudos for warning about potential pitfalls buyers might encounter. Far better than looking the other way.

But, no one on this thread is talking about doing business with Beerbhom. Some of the posts here criticizing everything Beerbohm has ever said are a bit overzealous. On this topic, he's got useful information and it doesn't help one bit to claim that everything the guy has ever said in his entire life is a lie and a plot when all people are trying to do is locate clues to the OO's identity. It just creates needless distraction and confusion. There's no reason to think that the Reilly story is that much different than as its been told. Every aspect of the story has checked out so far.

I appreciate efforts to protect buyers. But, that's not really an issue here, is it?

Beerbong is the antithesis of verity, IMO. YMMV.

For all the hate from the Gold denizens about Comic General and the fights that flare up there regularly, their grudges span decades and smolder on quietly, waiting for someone to churn up the ashes!

:whee:

But, that's not really an issue here, is it?

Actually, it is an issue but only if one is willing to see the forest from the trees.

BLB has over decades carefully crafted a false image as a grandfatherly hobby historian (and professional victim) to shield his many misdeeds, similar to how Lance Armstrong used his charity and false reputation to deflect his critics.

Portraying oneself as the proverbial 'big man on campus' - all the while reducing the contributions of others and manipulating the facts - serves to enhance that false image, duping and creating doubt.

I have vast professional training and experience in dealing with such individuals, but please don't just take my word for it - our very own esteemed Yellow Kid is intimately familiar with BLB and yet he loathes him and won't speak to him anymore. Why is that? Send him a PM and find out for yourself.