• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post your San Francisco/Tom Reilly books
4 4

856 posts in this topic

very disappointing read-- no mention at all of his hips.

Was there mention of how he discovered electricity, or was best friends with Elvis (well, only after he died of course)?

Only the occasional mentions of what a thief and liar you happen to be! :Dlol

I believe it is shameful the way the board members are conducting themselves , I believe that bob says that a purchase was not completed in regards to some lobby cards or whatever.... That does not give anybody license to make fun of medical conditions in which someday you might be on the receiving end. If you are going to attack bob while he has no means to defend himself on this board ... I ask the moderators to lift the ban in order that he be able to defend himself and explain himself in reguards to his Facebook post.

Bob has the right to answer Steve and whole host of other comments... He was there' for the Riley collection... I bought books from him directly... I know of one collector who bought possibly 1000 of them or close to that... The answers are out there but not very much longer...who supports my motion to bring bob back on??????

Without minimizing the grievances a number of people have against BLB, I enjoyed and profited from many of his posts when he was on the boards. He has a great collection and I found his discussion of the Victorian and Platinum eras quite interesting.

That said, so far as I know, CGC has only once rescinded a ban against a member. Given BLB's violent antipathy toward CGC, I can't imagine that they would allow him back.

IT WAS RIPPED FROM IT'S MOORINGS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

man, that thread about jerry's all-star with his glue in the picture was an all-timer. those were the good ol' days.

Alright I am gonna tell you the full story... With a disclaimer.... It's hearsay... Some I know some I had filled.. The whole story
:popcorn:

During set up of the comic booth at sdcc 73 Rick bought them out close to 1000 books... He worked for the oil company back then I think... He passed away Iin the early 80's

Look forward to hearing it Mitch!

Never knew Rick but everyone has heard of him I think

His widow lets Erine gerber auction them off.... I don't know if the following is true but apparently the family sued gerber and the case was settled... If you me at comic con I can explain more

Again this is 2d hand but gerber sells the photo guide to geppi and uses the funds to settle... Again is send hand. Foxes were in the first of 3 purchases...the third part never hit the market...look for complete runs or near complete in getbers catalogs... If you track your book back to gerber catalogs after death of Rick .... You might own a sf book. Does anybody have the old catalogs?

Edited by Mmehdy

His widow lets Erine gerber auction them off.... I don't know if the following is true but apparently the family sued gerber and the case was settled... If you me at comic con I can explain more

would "them" refer to the 1000 SFs, or the rest of Rick's collection, or both?

Was there mention of how he discovered electricity, or was best friends with Elvis (well, only after he died of course)?

I believe it is shameful the way the board members are conducting themselves , I believe that bob says that a purchase was not completed in regards to some lobby cards or whatever.... That does not give anybody license to make fun of medical conditions in which someday you might be on the receiving end. If you are going to attack bob while he has no means to defend himself on this board ... I ask the moderators to lift the ban in order that he be able to defend himself and explain himself in reguards to his Facebook post.

Bob has the right to answer Steve and whole host of other comments... He was there' for the Riley collection... I bought books from him directly... I know of one collector who bought possibly 1000 of them or close to that... The answers are out there but not very much longer...who supports my motion to bring bob back on??????

It'll never happen (my opinion). Bob's stubbornness and personal attacks leveled at Steve and other folks here are totally over the top. Granted, some of Steve's past posts may have been inflammatory, but there's no comparison to the relentless vitriol Bob spewed on these boards against folks who dared to differ with the Beerbohm historical perspective.

Bob openly attacked CGC even after being provided a soapbox to air his grievances. Moderators tried to look the other way when he made unsubstantiated allegations about CGC grading, probably out of sympathy over his health issues and respect for his past contributions to the fan community. Bob was even allowed latitude to link eBay sales in this very thread to raise money for his and his daughters medical needs.

Folks here, including a legal representative for CGC, offered and provided assistance when Bob was accused of disreputable business practices. In spite of this, he continued to level insults at CGC and his fellow boardies.

Is Bob a fountain Salton Sea of knowledge about early fandom and the Reilly/San Francisco collection? Absolutely! Are there competing versions and recollections? Obviously! All the facts may never be known in spite of the wealth of information we do have, but that's what makes mysteries intriguing. Is allowing Bob a soapbox on these boards worth all the grief of dealing with Bob's disrespectful attitude and the mud-slinging that would undoubtably follow? Ask the CGC moderators who'd have to thread that needle!

My 2c

would "them" refer to the 1000 SFs, or the rest of Rick's collection, or both?

I would assume ricks entire collection since it was explained to me he died suddely of a heart and if true that still would not mean he did not trade or sell books in the meantime... He had the m for 9 years before he passed

Edited by Mmehdy

Concerning the Nedors. There was a collector with an aisian name maybe Wang? That lived in Oakland. He was a major purchaser of these books I was told by Mr. Beerbong. His house burned down in a large fire many years ago and his collection was lost. Could these have been the Nedors that were missing?

And, as much as I respect his knowledge and experience in this hobby, I think it's best Bob stays off these boards. He has shown that he can't act in a respectable manner when challenged. He also has shown some very un-professional dealings as well. He has had some bad breaks in life but the way he tries to make us feel sorry for him are pretty pathetic.

I love the controversary as much as anyone but when he and Steve get into it, it just got over the top. Like a train wreck, you want to look but when you do you are sorry you did.

Thumbs down to Bob!

So who's making fun of Beerbong's medical conditions? All that was mentioned by me, was his continual, repeated insistence that SACentaur is a thief and a liar. If he wants to defend those defamatory statements, let him do so through his facebook pedestal. You choose who to stand up for most oddly, Mitch.

I think he's referring to straw man's mention of the hips but in fairness to S-M, I got the sense Bob wasn't above mentioning the hips when it suited him.