• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What are the Do's and Dont's when attending a Comic Con?

165 posts in this topic

Be courteous. As one teacher once said "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you."

Most dealers will hold an issue for you if you ask. But make sure the time frame is established and, even if you decide not to get it, go back and let him know.

If a dealer has $4 on a book, don't ask "Would you take a dollar for it?" Would you?

If you're looking for particular books, let the dealer know what they are. They may be somewhere other than where you might think they are.

Etc., etc.

(thumbs u , I will keep that in mind

My list!

1. Bathe before the Con + deodarant. Don't be that "stinky guy" that is at every Con.

2. Don't crowd in around comic boxes when other people are already there. Respect personal space.You can come back around later when the crowding is to a minimum. There's been a couple Cons where I was perusing through books and dudes would be waiting for me to move to another box so they can check the one I was at and they'd like make noises and/or grunt showing their displeasure/trying to speed up my looking, so I'd slow down even more.

3. No line-cutting (ie. panels, booth signings) or be prepared to be smacked up-side the head by rowdy fanboys.

4. Follow the flow of crowd traffic. Nothing like a crowd of people stopping at a crowded space when someone decides to go the opposite flow.

5. Don't block the aisles to pause and stare at: dealer booths/cosplayers/babes.

6. Don't chat up the artists for too long if there's a line of people behind you waiting for him/her too.

7. Don't bring your freakin' entire collection of 500+ books (that you wheeled in on a push-cart) during for signings when there are others in line, some people don't have 2 hrs. to wait in line. Rude. Jerks.

8. Do bring a water bottle (small) and snacks. Nothing better than paying $20 for a slice of greasy pizza and a coke at the Con's cafeteria and long lines.

9. If you collect books, bring a backpack/bag to carry them in order to keep your hands free.

10. Come way early to get at the front of the entry lines or come waaay after the start of the con to avoid waiting in the entry lines

11. Bring money, lots more than you plan, otherwise credit card or pay ATM fees. Place your wallet on yourself that won't lead it to be pickpocketed or fall off easily.

12. Know your current inventory. Keep a list of the stuff you have at home so you don't double-up. Nothing worse than coming home and finding out you now have TWO copies of Youngblood #1 since you forgot you had a copy at home already.

13. Wear comfy sneakers with gels.

14. Wear a dark colored shirt in case you sweat, a lot.

15. Besides the admission ticket, remember to bring cash for parking, food, shipping items home (ie. SDCC), misc.

16. Check out the who attendees at the Con beforehand so you can bring items to get personalized if you're into that stuff

17. Buy expensive things only if you know the cost, don't buy something you don't know about to later regret it after seeing it on eBay the next day for $1.

18. Haggle. Heck, just ask the dealer, "What's your best price?" Sometimes they'll drop the price just by asking.

19. Price compare. Bring a note pad (or Evernote on your smartphone) and jot down prices for pieces you want and also the Booth # in case you want to return.

20. If you have an infant/newborn, stay home! Don't bring them to a hot/crowded/noisy environment while tooling through packed aisles with your stroller.

21. Go the opposite of the crowds.

2. Don't crowd in around comic boxes when other people are already there. Respect personal space.You can come back around later when the crowding is to a minimum. There's been a couple Cons where I was perusing through books and dudes would be waiting for me to move to another box so they can check the one I was at and they'd like make noises and/or grunt showing their displeasure/trying to speed up my looking, so I'd slow down even more.

7. Don't bring your freakin' entire collection of 500+ books (that you wheeled in on a push-cart) during for signings when there are others in line, some people don't have 2 hrs. to wait in line. Rude. Jerks.

:roflmao:

I was hoping that some of the more experienced boardies could share there Do's and Dont's when attending a CC

Do find a home base to 1)store all the you buy during the show, especially those huge packaged statues and large art portfolio satchels, and 2) loiter around and relax when you tire of roaming the aisles or the crowd gets too thick. I always try to find a nice dealer booth to prop my feet up in (if I don't have a booth of my own). A trick is to offer to lend a helping hand to the dealer whose booth you are thinking of squatting in. Then once you've secured a chair use that free time to nap.

I think you have already been offered the perfect place...

Shameless plug, I'm in booth 1275. :grin:

I was saving a special spot for you.

Extra long special spot, that is.

I was hoping that some of the more experienced boardies could share there Do's and Dont's when attending a CC

Do find a home base to 1)store all the you buy during the show, especially those huge packaged statues and large art portfolio satchels, and 2) loiter around and relax when you tire of roaming the aisles or the crowd gets too thick. I always try to find a nice dealer booth to prop my feet up in (if I don't have a booth of my own). A trick is to offer to lend a helping hand to the dealer whose booth you are thinking of squatting in. Then once you've secured a chair use that free time to nap.

You don’t have a booth?! There go my loitering plans...

Here is a DO that I think is important; Take lots of pictures for a full picture reports for those that can't go to the con and then put them on this forum.

Done (thumbs u

Great! Can't wait to see them (I love Con picture reports)

Hey, here's a good question for NYCC...

I'm bringing my wife and 9 year old daughter. Are there any attractions or events that will be fun for them? Even though one my wife's favorite book writers will be there, she wants to come with me the first day to "support" me... but she really wants to just go see New York instead.

I'm bringing my wife and 9 year old daughter. Are there any attractions or events that will be fun for them? Even though one my wife's favorite book writers will be there, she wants to come with me the first day to "support" me... but she really wants to just go see New York instead.

You could come to the CBCA dinner. :baiting:

Perhaps a question I should already know the answer to but....

What's that?

Perhaps a question I should already know the answer to but....

What's that?

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=5120571&fpart=1

You don’t have a booth?! There go my loitering plans...

Pleas make sure to give Watson a noogie and kick greggy in the nuts for me.

Well, there will be tons of great costumes to see and lots of the publishers might have freebies for your daughter to take home.

They also might be able to see the odd "famous" person if they are signing autographs, etc.

I'll let others chime in as my experience with cons is almost entirely comic book related.