• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What are the Do's and Dont's when attending a Comic Con?

165 posts in this topic

Hello everyone,

I'm going to be attending my very first Comic Con next month in New York and needles to say I think I'm going to be a little lost. I was hoping that some of the more experienced boardies could share there Do's and Dont's when attending a CC so myself and the other first time attendees can be a little better prepared. Thanks for sharing!

We should have one of these do's and don'ts of attending ComicCons stickied.

This comes up every few months. doh!

I'm sorry. :foryou: You would benefit to have your want list with prices that your willing to pay ready so you keep focused with your comic buying.

Do your very best to not be impulsive and buy something before you thoroughly check it out, make sure there is no damage, it isn't an issue you already own and you aren't overpaying for it.

I've done all of these before and in the heat of the moment wheeling and dealing...you get lost in the emotions and you buy something you shouldn't have.

Make calculated decisions and be informed...

Bring a guide or resource for pricing....(perhaps on a smart phone)...

Bring cash because those ATM fees are nasty.

Have fun!

Good luck

1. Comfortable shoes

2. Lysol for the stinky fanboys

3. A wad of cash*

*most important

I wouldn't recommend a big wad, many artists and dealers take credit/debit cards. Having to go to an ATM for cash will prevent you from over spending also so you can choose your purchases wisely. This being your first, you will over spend.

We should have one of these do's and don'ts of attending ComicCons stickied.

This comes up every few months. doh!

I'm sorry. :foryou: You would benefit to have your want list with prices that your willing to pay ready so you keep focused with your comic buying.

:sorry: I guess I should've searched the archives a bit more thoroughly. Thanks for the advice though, want list, I've got that prepared. Thanks to Mark 1 as well for the heads up about the pricey ATM fees, this all good to know. Keep ‘em coming!

1.Wear comfortable shoes(you'll be walking a lot)

2.Bring a backpack or a small box to put your books in.

3.Bring some snacks to eat.

4.Bring lots and lots of cash,CC will be good too(but put them were no one will see it)

5.Shower before & after the con

6.Bring some pepper spray to keep "fanboys" away from you :devil:

Do bring something with a strap to carry your purchases in. Backpack, satchel, etc.

Don't wear your underwear on the outside of your clothing. "Under" being the clue here.

1. Comfortable shoes

3. A wad of cash*

*most important

I wouldn't recommend a big wad, many artists and dealers take credit/debit cards. Having to go to an ATM for cash will prevent you from over spending also so you can choose your purchases wisely. This being your first, you will over spend.

I'm glad someone addressed that, I wasn't sure if dealers were accepting credit cards at their booths.

I'll add...

Do look through the attendees in Artists Alley and see if there is anyone attending that is one of your favorites. Make a point to stop by his/her booth and introduce yourself and let them know how much you appreciate their art/writing. Bring something with you to get signed and if they are doing sketches, try to get on the list.

You'll thank me later.

Please for the love of God leave the damn backpack at home. Opt for a messenger bag instead. There's nothing worse than rude :censored: con goers knocking down people as they suddenly stop and turn with 30lbs of backpack strapped to their back.

Many people at cons are quite inconsiderate. You're about to learn that.

Please for the love of God leave the damn backpack at home. Opt for a messenger bag instead. There's nothing worse than rude :censored: con goers knocking down people as they suddenly stop and turn with 30lbs of backpack strapped to their back.

You can't fix stupid.

If you see a bunch of people clustered around one dealer, DO get in there as the getting must be good.

If you see some guy sitting at his booth in the corner with no body around and a sheet of dirty plastic covering stacks of books, DON'T go over and start looking at his books or make conversation. In fact don't even make eye contact. Just keep moving.

1. Comfortable shoes

3. A wad of cash*

*most important

I'm glad someone addressed that, I wasn't sure if dealers were accepting credit cards at their booths.

You should break yourself in by going to the Dallas Fan Days next weekend. A lot of comic artists and dealers will be there even though it's Star Wars focused. PM me and I could maybe meet you there too.

If you see a bunch of people clustered around one dealer, DO get in there as the getting must be good.

If you see some guy sitting at his booth in the corner with no body around and a sheet of dirty plastic covering stacks of books, DON'T go over and start looking at his books or make conversation. In fact don't even make eye contact. Just keep moving.

:roflmao:

You can't fix stupid.

I've gotten to the point where in a really crowded con I purposely push on the fat :censored: with backpacks pushing them out of the way. It only took seeing one of them take out a hot cosplayer and putting her on the floor with complete disregard to what they had done for me to not tolerate it any more.