• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What are the Do's and Dont's when attending a Comic Con?

165 posts in this topic

As most people have said, make sure you've bathed. There will be enough stinky fanboys, you do not need to contribute.

The second biggest thing, and others have mentioned it, don't buy the first thing you see. Make sure you check the show out as multiple dealers will have boks you want. If you buy one right away, chances are the next booth you go to will have a copy you like better.

Take a want list with you, and do your best to stick to it. If you don't you'll buy too much stuff you don't really want.

You will probably spend too much (especially since this is your first big con). Make sure you account for that. The past few years, I've gotten pretty good at allowing myself to only spend what I have budgeted. I have been to many shows over the years and only the last two or three have I been able to keep within m budget. It has taken alot of practice. The want list will help you with this too.

Try and introduce yourself to as many boardies as possible.

Have fun! (thumbs u

Another thing..if you see ever, and I mean EVER...see L'Etonnant 31 and think.. "I'll get it on the my way back from the other side of the floor.." Get it right there and then!!!!!!!... or you're going to hate yourself for not being able to find another decent copy for another 8 months and you will get a head ache from searching for it over and over again in different sites, it will drive you mad nutz!....that's what I heard...

Hello everyone,

I'm going to be attending my very first Comic Con next month in New York and needles to say I think I'm going to be a little lost. I was hoping that some of the more experienced boardies could share there Do's and Dont's when attending a CC so myself and the other first time attendees can be a little better prepared. Thanks for sharing!

Why are you going to the con?

By that I mean what are your interests?

You might want to familiarize yourself with the con floor plan and have a plan of attack.

NYC is a pretty big show and you may not see everything you want to see so prioritizing might help.

Please for the love of God leave the damn backpack at home. Opt for a messenger bag instead. There's nothing worse than rude :censored: con goers knocking down people as they suddenly stop and turn with 30lbs of backpack strapped to their back.

Many people at cons are quite inconsiderate. You're about to learn that.

Agree wholeheartedly, leave the backpack at home. NYCC gets extremely crowded and getting banged around by oblivious fanboys with large backpacks gets really irritating.

But if you insist on bringng your backpack, please stay cognizant of what you're doing with it and how it is affecting the people around you... for instance, take it off and place it between your legs when you're rummaging through long boxes at a crowded booth.

Always ask the dealer to remove the book from the mylar if you want to inspect it.

This.

1989 SDCC I removed the book from its mylar and consequently created the cover tape pull.

I bought the book (there was no "argument" , it was my fault).

A beautiful VF/NM Adventure 300 dropped to a VG in a trice.

It rankles me still . . .

Always ask the dealer to remove the book from the mylar if you want to inspect it.

This.

1989 SDCC I removed the book from its mylar and consequently created the cover tape pull.

I bought the book (there was no "argument" , it was my fault).

A beautiful VF/NM Adventure 300 dropped to a VG in a trice.

It rankles me still . . .

I had a dealer stick tape to a NM X-men #2 in 2004 in front of my eyes.

I prefer to handle books myself but accept the responsibility that if i break it I buy it.

Hello everyone,

I'm going to be attending my very first Comic Con next month in New York and needles to say I think I'm going to be a little lost. I was hoping that some of the more experienced boardies could share there Do's and Dont's when attending a CC so myself and the other first time attendees can be a little better prepared. Thanks for sharing!

Why are you going to the con?

By that I mean what are your interests?

You might want to familiarize yourself with the con floor plan and have a plan of attack.

NYC is a pretty big show and you may not see everything you want to see so prioritizing might help.

1. I wanted to add a couple of SS to my collection therefore I’ll be looking to get a couple of early Dr. Strange appearances signed by Stan Lee and maybe one issue of Batman: Year One signed by Frank Miller. Also, I haven't had anytime away from work or school and this seemed like a good excuse to visit New York City.

2. At this point, I'm putting together the origin books of Superman and there are some (a few) that I haven't been able to locate and attending will give me an opportunity to find those books. I would love to get my hands on some Exciting Comics issues featuring The Black Terror as well.

3. It’s a great idea to obtain a floor plan but I’m not certain as to when they will be available.

3. It’s a great idea to obtain a floor plan but I’m not certain as to when they will be available.

Just click on the floor plan you want to look at (blue or red floor plan) and the booths offer live links to all exhibitors.

Shameless plug, I'm in booth 1275.

:grin:

http://www.mapyourshow.com/shows/index.cfm?SHOW_ID=nycc11&alt_entry=true&curr_pri=facility&curr_sec=OO

3. A wad of cash*

*most important

But keep it well hidden and secured. Theft happens.

I've never been to a con yet, but I've been to many places where a wad of cash is needed, like concerts.

One thing I don't do is keep it all in ONE wad. I'll seperate them in mini wad's of $60-$100 each. This way when I whip it out, anyone watching won't be able to see all that I'm carrying ;)

3. A wad of cash*

*most important

I've never been to a con yet, but I've been to many places where a wad of cash is needed, like concerts.

One thing I don't do is keep it all in ONE wad. I'll seperate them in mini wad's of $60-$100 each. This way when I whip it out, anyone watching won't be able to see all that I'm carrying ;)

He's from Sugarland, so be gentile with him, folks from south of

Chimney Rock tend not to have calluses on their hands... :baiting:

Just click on the floor plan you want to look at (blue or red floor plan) and the booths offer live links to all exhibitors.

Shameless plug, I'm in booth 1275.

:grin:

http://www.mapyourshow.com/shows/index.cfm?SHOW_ID=nycc11&alt_entry=true&curr_pri=facility&curr_sec=OO

Thanks for the heads up and no harm no foul (thumbs u I'll be sure to visit

3. A wad of cash*

*most important

I dont plan to carry a lot of cash, someone informed me earlier on the thread that most dealers do take credit cards and I'm hoping that remains true. If not, I can always make purchases on day 2.

3. A wad of cash*

*most important

He's from Sugarland, so be gentile with him, folks from south of

Chimney Rock tend not to have calluses on their hands... :baiting:

Hey, hey :baiting: , yeah you're right :sorry:

Be courteous. As one teacher once said "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you."

Most dealers will hold an issue for you if you ask. But make sure the time frame is established and, even if you decide not to get it, go back and let him know.

If a dealer has $4 on a book, don't ask "Would you take a dollar for it?" Would you?

If you're looking for particular books, let the dealer know what they are. They may be somewhere other than where you might think they are.

Etc., etc.