• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Official 2011 CGC Forums Holiday Gift Exchange Sign-up

618 posts in this topic

I signed up for the receiving-with-no-giving option, right?

Watch your mouth. My wife slapped the mess out of me for saying that.

Your wife? You collect comics and coins, I would need to see a copy of the marriage license to accept the validity of that joke.

You forgot about chess. I'm even trying to start a chess club, with little success I'm afraid.

How many people have joined this club?

Your wife? You collect comics and coins, I would need to see a copy of the marriage license to accept the validity of that joke.

You forgot about chess. I'm even trying to start a chess club, with little success I'm afraid.

A grand total of ONE said he would join if a club got going. I'm stuck playing online for now.

A grand total of ONE said he would join if a club got going. I'm stuck playing online for now.

Nerd Alert! :fear:

Unless you live really close to the people who might join your club, won't you all be playing online too ? :popcorn:

To arrive or the lazy US dorks think that they can send it a few days weeks before X-mas and expect it to arrive on time?
(thumbs u

Thought we had an early start this year, but it looks like PMs will be the same as last year (which was 23rd of November).

I will PM everybody tonight with their Secret Santa recipient's info.

Sorry for the delay, friends. :sorry:

Should start recieving PMs around midnight EST. (thumbs u

HH

I sugest everyone bump their PM thread will Mr. Ham. That way you will get the info quicker.

mmm....Holiday Ham :)

holiday-ham.jpg

Does the woman in green have a bee hive hairdo or is that an actual bee hive? :fear:

Unless you live really close to the people who might join your club, won't you all be playing online too ? :popcorn:

I'm sure there's a lot more people who play, but I just haven't run into them. I only know two guys who play. One guy is in my company and was in a chess club in high school, but refuses to be part of a local one. He's in his early 20's and I think he's too worried about looking cool. The other one is in my battalion, but in a different company. I used to play him a lot in Iraq at the MWR center, and he said he would join. I always ask, but very few people around here play.

I will PM everybody tonight with their Secret Santa recipient's info.

Sorry for the delay, friends. :sorry:

Should start recieving PMs around midnight EST. (thumbs u

HH

I think it's passed midnight in the East Coast. (shrug)

I only know how to play on a board, I don't know the letters and numbers.

The board is an 8 x 8 grid of squares.

If you count from left to right they're lettered A - H

If you're playing white, from front (the furthest toward you) to back it is numbered 1 - 8

So at the start of the game white's king is on E1 and black's king is on E8

The pieces are represented by a single letter.

King = K

Queen = Q

Bishop = B

Knight = N

Rook = R

Pawns are not considered "pieces" and no letter means you're talking about the Pawn.

So, Nf3 means means you moved your knight to the f3 square. If you capture a piece, then you add an x, so Nxf3 means you captured a piece on the f3 square with your knight.

If a move puts the opponent in check you add a + sign. So, you could say Nf3+ or Nxf3+ if it also captures a piece. For checkmate it's either ++ or the # sign.

0-0 means castle kingside and 0-0-0 means castle queenside.