• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

classic Magazine cover thread

249 posts in this topic

This is pretty cool! From 1968 comes a mag with Gil Kane at the reigns. His attempt to put out a more "adult" book. The cover illustration is obviously modeled after actor Lee Marvin. Gil Kane art throughout the book with no cover credits, (wonder if Gil did the painting also?)

1044350-HisNameIs...Savage%21.jpg

The interior art is quite nice. Along with a fair amount of Gil's (up-the-nose angle) drawings there is this nice opening splash!

1044350-HisNameIs...Savage!Splash.jpg

Also the main villian could be a "Deathlok" tryout... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

1044350-HisNameIs...Savage!Art.jpg

1044350-HisNameIs...Savage!Art.jpg.e10f5331f60b3350e87a7b42ad3bca38.jpg

This is pretty cool! From 1968 comes a mag with Gil Kane at the reigns. His attempt to put out a more "adult" book. The cover illustration is obviously modeled after actor Lee Marvin. Gil Kane art throughout the book with no cover credits, (wonder if Gil did the painting also?)

Jay, Kane was going to do a horror mag to go along with SAVAGE, but never got around to getting it published. hi.gif

Jay, Kane was going to do a horror mag to go along with SAVAGE, but never got around to getting it published. hi.gif

Wonder what happened, as Savage! # 1 turned out to be the only issue published! confused-smiley-013.gif

hi.gif

No offense to horror comics, but this stuff is so much better than 99% of the horror comics put out in the late 60s/70s it isn't even funny. Maybe some of the Wrightson and Adams DC stuff begins to come close, but the covers don't compare.

Thanks Jay. Bought on a whim really; struck up some correspondence with a fellow UK based magazine collector and agreed a deal (have wanted a Psycho 3 for a while now and added the others to my order). Love those scream covers.

gossip.gif Hmmm...I'ma think'n youra mean'n MageElsa.... Mr Franz no?

Great guy.

Wonder what happened, as Savage! # 1 turned out to be the only issue published! confused-smiley-013.gif

hi.gif

Don't know why it fell through, but I have copies of some of the original art! (From the unreleased horror mag, that is. Not Savage.) grin.gif

acclaim.gif

hi.gif

Don't know why it fell through, but I have copies of some of the original art! (From the unreleased horror mag, that is. Not Savage.) grin.gif

acclaim.gif

Aww, c'mon Keith!

You know after saying something like that you HAVE to post scans...please? 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

What was the proposed title to the horror mag?

Did I mention I wanted to see scans? devil.gif

acclaim.gif

Aww, c'mon Keith!

You know after saying something like that you HAVE to post scans...please? 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

popcorn.gifpopcorn.gifpopcorn.gif

acclaim.gif

Aww, c'mon Keith!

popcorn.gifpopcorn.gifpopcorn.gif

popcorn.gifinsane.gifpopcorn.gifinsane.gifpopcorn.gif