• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

classic Magazine cover thread

249 posts in this topic

Don't know why it fell through, but I have copies of some of the original art! (From the unreleased horror mag, that is. Not Savage.) grin.gif

acclaim.gif

Aww, c'mon Keith!

You know after saying something like that you HAVE to post scans...please? 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

What was the proposed title to the horror mag?

Did I mention I wanted to see scans? devil.gif

popcorn.gifpopcorn.gifpopcorn.gif

popcorn.gifmakepoint.gifpopcorn.gifmakepoint.gifpopcorn.gif

devil.gif

Don't know why it fell through, but I have copies of some of the original art! (From the unreleased horror mag, that is. Not Savage.) grin.gif

acclaim.gif

Aww, c'mon Keith!

You know after saying something like that you HAVE to post scans...please? 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

What was the proposed title to the horror mag?

Did I mention I wanted to see scans? devil.gif

popcorn.gifpopcorn.gifpopcorn.gif

popcorn.gifmakepoint.gifpopcorn.gifmakepoint.gifpopcorn.gif

devil.gif

tonofbricks.gif

Aww, c'mon Keith!

Let me get into contact with the owner of the art. I only have copies. He was going to let me publish them in HORROR COMICS REVIEW #5 ,but since that is on temporary hiatus they are just sitting in my 'vault'. I don't know how he would feel about my posting on the internet. He probably won't mind, but I should check first. Hang loose..... shy.gif

Wow, 13 pages of cool magazine covers, posted over nearly two years, and not a single humor mag in the bunch.

Here are a few icebreaker faves:

Kelly Freas - check out the exquisite detail on this one:

Mad43.jpg

Norman Mingo - phenomenal with faces:

Mad124.jpg

And, finally, Frazetta:

Lampoon8-73.jpg

More Norman Mingo:

Once again, tremendous work with faces:

Mad155.jpg

From a highly charged political time, when Mad was very outspoken (these two were our Pres and Vice-Pres at the time, for all you out-of-towners:

Mad171.jpg

Again, nice books. Am curious, what's the market like for MAD; I know they were a big influence on the UG movement and (with my newfound love for mags) have thought about having a dabble? What are the keys\banner issues? Are they difficult to find in grade & if so what do they go for?

Am curious, what's the market like for MAD; I know they were a big influence on the UG movement and (with my newfound love for mags) have thought about having a dabble? What are the keys\banner issues? Are they difficult to find in grade & if so what do they go for?

I think Mad is highly collectible. I can only respond as a bystander for the market for Mads from the late sixties to mid seventies, since my run from ish 100-180 is from my childhood subscription, but from what I've seen only the Bill Gaines file copies can approach $100, and high grade examples with one or two very minor dings can be found for what seem to me to be ridiculously low prices. The mags from the fifties are much harder to find in top shape, but still are far cheaper than most comics from that era. It is only the comic issues 1-23 and the earliest mags that go for alot more. Mad 1 has got be be one of the cheapest key (historically important) comic books there is, again as long as the copy is not a Gaines file copy.

I purchased this painting 5 years ago on 3rd. Ave and 29th.Steet in NYC. I paid $ 35.00. It looks to be from the 40's and looks alot like Pulp Art... maybe for a mag or a paper back. Incidently, this old antique/junk shop I bought it from was only a few blocks from where the original Smith and Street publishers were located in the 30;s and 40's.

Anyway... can and one suggest who I may contact or how to go about identifying this piece?

Any thought?

pulp_1.jpg

Very sweet books! I love Ralph Reese's art in "Phantom Of The Rock Era" in issue 4. I can still see that creepy looking guy at the end holding that knife,brrrrr! I'd love to own a piece of OA from that story!

Issue 12 according to the "Complete History ofthe Skywald Horror-Mood" was Hewetson's least favorite cover. While I like alright, I think if it was a full bleed cover it would have worked better.

Again, nice pick ups! thumbsup2.gif

I'm still having a hard time finding a nice HG Nightmare # 15! Christo_pull_hair.gif

And yeah, this thread needs a sticky! sumo.gif

Thanks chaps, these latest grabs came courtesy of our very own Franz (got some killer Eerie pubs too). The cover art for the Summer Special is accredited to Miralles and is up there as one of my fav's. I'll try and get the rest of the books up this weekend.

More Norman Mingo:

From a highly charged political time, when Mad was very outspoken (these two were our Pres and Vice-Pres at the time, for all you out-of-towners:

Mad171.jpg

i actually have that issue of mad, first one i ever gotten. cloud9.gif