• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Action Comics #1 (1938) CGC 9.0 on the census

398 posts in this topic

it all boils down to what is customary in the insurance game in these instances where a payout was made, but later the object is recovered. (Since its stolen property, the buyer of the storage locker is out of the money.)

if these policies usually state that we will pay you X in case of loss or theft, but if and when recovered you may 1) buy it back for our settlement plus interest and fees, or 2) you have no further rights to said object once check is cashed, or 3) we may negotiate with you for its return.

I doubt Cage had special clauses written in case his comics got stolen. His interest would have been nay that he not suffer a total loss. So does anybody know what their policies say in this event?

and lastly, how many will be calling their insurance companies for the answer to the question of who owns their comics if they are stolen and turn up years later???

True enough. But if any such clauses were written-up, it would have been a goodwill gesture by the insurer to Cage and would have been achieved at the time of settlement.

I think in cases where passage of time may considerably influence value, or where there is no hard value that can ever replace the sentimental value of an object, it wouldn't be unusual to request an opportunity to have it returned through a mutually agreed settlement (plus fees) to ensure the stolen item is returned it its rightful owner in the event it reappears.

It's a longshot that any such clause was drawn-up, but anything is possible and Cage is a storied fan of this hobby if I've ever seen or heard of one. It isn't every day that someone names their first born after Superman's birth name.