• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Action Comics #1 (1938) CGC 9.0 on the census

398 posts in this topic

I was just discussing with another boardie via PM and we both said the same thing...that book looks like it was stored in a cold climate somewhere. I'd be surprised if it had brittle pages but that's just my opinion.

The book definitely was not stored in a cold climate as it was found in a storage locker that has been kept there for around 10 years in southern California; actually in the San Fernando Valley where I live. Weather over here can get very hot during the summer time around the 90's and above. My guess on the PQ is light tan - offwhite.

I wouldn't be surprised if this book sells for just as much or a tad less than the 8.5 copy that sold. Remember that the 8.5 copy was sold privately and not in an auction format. Usually private sells in my experience sold for more than in auctions. Not only that, but I have a feeling that the people who are seriously bidding big on this book would have in their mindset that there may be another higher graded copy out there and would likely take a conservative approach when it comes to bidding. My guess is $1.5-$1.65 mil.

Wow, CR/OW while being stored in Southern California. Unreal.

It could have been climate-controlled storage.

Ah, good point...I didn't even think of that.

Me too! I didn't know they had climate controlled lockers

Those are the ones to bid on in storgae auctions.

Outside ones have pure 90% of the time.

Unless it's a big one with a boat or something.

I watch Storage Wars and haven't heard about this Action 1 being found in this group of storage buyers...could be but didn't hear about that.

That Dave Hester guy is so full of himself. What a tool. :)

I hope Barry found it. He's clueless but still ends up with cool stuff.

Barry? Now that would by hysterical and his luck..."sorry sir, this is stolen property." When the story originally broke, I looked up the names in the articles and it appeared it was the same auctioneer that runs the Storage Wars episodes - the guy not the girl. Now that the new season has started, I keep thinking the book is going to turn up right around auction time ;)

Agree w/ you about Dave, but he does keep people watching. He was beyond full of himself this past week.

I watch Storage Wars and haven't heard about this Action 1 being found in this group of storage buyers...could be but didn't hear about that.

That Dave Hester guy is so full of himself. What a tool. :)

I hope Barry found it. He's clueless but still ends up with cool stuff.

Barry? Now that would by hysterical and his luck..."sorry sir, this is stolen property." When the story originally broke, I looked up the names in the articles and it appeared it was the same auctioneer that runs the Storage Wars episodes - the guy not the girl. Now that the new season has started, I keep thinking the book is going to turn up right around auction time ;)

Agree w/ you about Dave, but he does keep people watching. He was beyond full of himself this past week.

What? Am I the only guy that roots for Dave? lmao

I was glad he got 90K worth of Elvis dies news papers last week.

:headbang:

I hope I get 90K worth of something one day.

Yeah, sure! $90K for those newspapers. :roflmao:

After he sells one of each of the two different issues he has to the 100 Elvis collectors out there who might want one (one at $5 each and the other at $10 each, for a whopping $1,500), he's never gonna sell another one!

What's that story about the guy buying a warehouse full of umbrellas for a nickel apiece? He was going to be rich too based upon how much he expected to sell each one for, but it didn't work out so well for that guy either.

I wonder if the lack of mention of Nic Cage's name withis auction is due to whatever agreement, if any, was worked out between him and the insurance copy. It is a little curious that the provenance and story behind this book isn't being used as part of the marketing.

I wonder if the lack of mention of Nic Cage's name withis auction is due to whatever agreement, if any, was worked out between him and the insurance copy. It is a little curious that the provenance and story behind this book isn't being used as part of the marketing.

Well, they aren't keeping it much of a secret either: http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/nic-cage-stolen-superman-auction-record-260733

Well, they aren't keeping it much of a secret either: http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/nic-cage-stolen-superman-auction-record-260733

If you look at the rest of the stories today about the book from other outlets, Cage is not mentioned. Looking at the Cage details mentioned here (and particularly the mention and link to an old post by Stephen on this very forum) I believe the Hollywood Reporter reporter googled up a blog post I put together last month about the book:

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2011/10/10/is-the-nicolas-cage-copy-of-action-comics-1-about-to-become-the-first-2000000-comic/