• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Detective Comics #31 CGC 1.0 Unrestored on eBay

101 posts in this topic

What would my copy grade?

2cfs412.jpg

Have more pics? Interior? Bc? Some description like is there a spine split? Missing pages? Pq? Then you might get some responses to what people believe it might get if you send it out (which I recommend to do IMO)

Good for them! :applause: They have some ridiculous charges especially the one on shipping which irritates me!

eBay's shipping fees are pure greed.

Especially when they double dip on the fees for shipping.

You pay a fee for your listed shipping price through ebay, then when the buyer pays the full amount on Paypal, they whack you again.

It should be against the law.

I've been in conversation with the seller since the first few hrs of the auction. The book did sell, but not for an outrageous offer from where it was already at. Not sure it would be polite to post his response to me, so I will not. Was going to bid for a doctor friend who is frustrated with the market, and go halves. But thinking about it not sure if it's smart to do such a thing.

From what you said I'm going to guesstimate it was somewhere around ballpark 9K? hm

Surprised he ended it early for somewhere close to where it was at. Seems like he may have gotten a much higher price, the book still had 5 days to go on auction.

Yes, that was the quote as per email to me.

I think quite honestly he did not want to pay the high fee's, and he was really shocked it had gone as high as it had, again as per email to me.

The winning bidder will tape the front and back cover together, then reattach the covers to the interior with more tape, then resub for a 2.0-2.5. We'll see that book again on a consignment site in the very near future.

And is this accurate Jeff? I would have thought it would be considered restored, or at the very least a green label added. Everyday I learn more about comics, and the more I learn, the more I realize how much more there is to learn!

I think that if a detached cover is taped back on, CGC just notes "tape on the spine" or something and gives it a blue label.

Apparently it's one of the major anomolies in the way they grade and what they consider restoration.

Not 100% sure on this, since I don't submit books, but if I've assimilated correctly what I've read in the past, I think that's the case.

So, you could tape a cover back on and get a healthy grade bump.

The winning bidder will tape the front and back cover together, then reattach the covers to the interior with more tape, then resub for a 2.0-2.5. We'll see that book again on a consignment site in the very near future.

And is this accurate Jeff? I would have thought it would be considered restored, or at the very least a green label added. Everyday I learn more about comics, and the more I learn, the more I realize how much more there is to learn!

To be clear, I don't think anyone on these boards believes that someone should do this. If anything, it is a loophole in how CGC grades things right now. Generally speaking, the vast majority of collectors abhor tape and would prefer the book without than with. Collector preferences are what drive price. And even if the book was given a 2.0 or 2.5 by CGC, there are many collectors that simply won't buy a book in any condition with tape on it. Blue label or otherwise. In this day and age, it's a very bad idea to apply tape to a rare, valuable collectible.

Good for them! :applause: They have some ridiculous charges especially the one on shipping which irritates me!

eBay's shipping fees are pure greed.

Especially when they double dip on the fees for shipping.

You pay a fee for your listed shipping price through ebay, then when the buyer pays the full amount on Paypal, they whack you again.

It should be against the law.

Regretfully, the ebay\paypal re-education had not been clearly explained to you. You offer FREE shipping to your customers to AVOID paying more in fees.

Alternately, you can simply raise your shipping rates to absorb the ebay\paypal sop.

While CGC does downgrade for the presence of tape, they downgrade more for a detached cover. Therefore, reattaching a detached cover with tape gets you a grade bump, because you've remedied the higher offense.

From where I sit, covers are attached to interiors with staples. A cover attached with anything else should be graded as if the cover is detached.