• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Not what I expected in the mail?

15 posts in this topic

Okay, I am pretty happy about the package I just received and want to ask how well I did. Nothing really exciting but,

I purchased on ebay what was called a lot of 7 color proof guides from Dave Cockrums Graphic Novel the Futurians. I expected these would be the standard color proof

like this one

th_defenders129p9CG.jpg

What I actually got was the color separations, so a number of transparencies all over laid.

Am I right in assuming that these would be more "valuable"

any thoughts would be appreciated

If its the transparencies then I would think it would be worth less. There has always been a debate (still rages) on if colour guides are original art. I fall in the camp that thinks it isn't since only part of it was worked on by the colourist. The other part being a xerox of the original inked pages.

That being said the colour transparencies you got are not original art, this is part of the printing process. Yes you don't see many transparencies of comic pages but then you don't usually see the printing plates either. For the the transparencies are an interesting part of the printing process but that is all.

Okay, I am pretty happy about the package I just received and want to ask how well I did. Nothing really exciting but,

. . .

Am I right in assuming that these would be more "valuable"

any thoughts would be appreciated

Can't see you retiring on their "value" any time soon. (shrug)

You should be collecting with your "heart" in mind, not your bank balance.

That's all that matters. I have one colour separation (the cover) for Batman #417 (first issue in the 10 Nights of the Beast storyline) because it is one of the first books I bought off a comics rack at a convenience store before I discovered comic specialty stores. One of the one's that got me into comics. I'll likely never own the original Mike Zeck cover and so I am very happy to at least own an original pieces of the production process even if not the creative. Would I rather own the cover or even original colour guide? Sure, but until that happens, at least I have something.

"color proof" is pretty vague, but what I would take proof to mean is something that the publisher got back from the printer to check out whether the colors are correct.

Yes, that's exactly what it is. In the "olden days", you would have four overlays (Cyan, Magenta, Yellow and Black) that were printed separately (to represent each of those colors printing plates) and then you would overlay them to make sure the colors were correct. If I recall correctly, it was a pricey process because you had to expose the printing plates to make the overlays - and if there was a change, you'd have to re-burn the plates.

I can't recall when that was phased out (maybe late 90's), but a new process (referred to as Matchprint in our parts) came about that basically combined the four overlays into one printed piece. It still required the exposure of plates and was expensive - but eliminated the overlays, which gave a little more accurate proof.

Then, with the advent and mass-use of direct-to-plate printing and the digital workflows in printing, highly accurate color proofs were printed from proofing printers without having to burn plates and all that - which is where we are today.

I have always found it a bit disconcerting how printing errors, mis-registered make-readies and proofs are presented to collectors as "valuable". Just last night on Ebay someone was selling a mis-registered Planet Comics with a description stating that it was "unique and one-of-a-kind" when basically all it was was a make-ready that didn't end up in the trash can. I fell victim to this before I started my career and got the knowledge of the printing business.

Glad you are enjoying your overlays - it definitely harkens back to the traditional printing process.

As mentioned above, the color guide is the actual page with the colors placed directly on the paper from the colorist. Nowadays, it's getting to be done almost exclusively through computers. The color proof is the separation as discussed earlier. I do think color guides are interesting, and at some point, I wouldn't mind picking one up.

I do have a color proof for some licensed Spider-Man art work (in my CAF), but I also know that it's not worth a whole lot of money. I bought it (for very little) mainly because it looked cool and I didn't owning anything like this. I also thought it was cool to own a piece of the art production process. In that regard, their worthwhile :)

I do have a color proof for some licensed Spider-Man art work (in my CAF), but I also know that it's not worth a whole lot of money. I bought it (for very little) mainly because it looked cool and I didn't owning anything like this. I also thought it was cool to own a piece of the art production process. In that regard, their worthwhile :)

Absolutely - I think if a person wants to own part of the process, it's very cool. I lost out on an auction for Infinity Gauntlet color proofs/guides and even though I knew what they were, I still thought it'd be great to have something tied to the book (since I'll never own any original art from the interior).

It's funny, but on things like comic books, baseball cards, etc, misalignment devalues the object as a collectible, but when you're talking about currency, it makes it more valuable. Go figure . . .

Comic books in particular, but things like sports cards as well, were printed very cheaply. As cheaply as possible to be exact. So defects were common. A perfectly printed comic book was a rarity, not the ones missing a staple or with off aligned structure or poor trimming.

US Currency on the other hand is printed under the tightest security and quality. Closely inspected so that defective bills do not make it out.

At least one printing defect increases value in a comic book. Double (or more) covers. Their is a limit to how much it increases the value though. If for instance a double cover was worth 10x the norm, then people would be buying a second copy and marrying the covers - sometimes even fooling the experts.