• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1935-1940: The GOLDEN AGE of Golden Age

470 posts in this topic

Amazing Mystery Funnies vol 2 #5 - classic everett cover. The guy was just a dreamer for all I can tell. Nobody was doing anything else like him, with the exception of Flash Gordon (conceptually). But his linework is so distinct and flowing. It really went along with his subject matter.

This copy is about flawless except for the missing piece. 893frustrated.gif

495633-amf%20v2n5.jpg

589a8c6c8e4e8_495633-amfv2n5.jpg.c4bf896457adcb7737b9343e184aa013.jpg

Amazing Mystery Funnies v2 #12. Wolverton art. Great inside art. "Scarce" in Overstreet, although its value has made it easy to find - even in high grade. I've seen 5-6 copies in FVF or better in the last 8 years or so. So I went with the bound volume copy which has great paper for reading the interior.

495635-amf%20v2n12.jpg

589a8c6c93bac_495635-amfv2n12.jpg.043f9f6bad75a353b3c0b1a4b2fdc13e.jpg

Detective Picture Stories 5 - listed as a Bruce Wayne prototype. I think it's more that Bob Kane didn't have the talent to draw more than one face.

CentaurMan, I'm waiting for you to post your copy. That's an AWESOME book. I wish my cash flow was higher when it was listed.

495639-dps%205.jpg

589a8c6c968c3_495639-dps5.jpg.990cb1d4844cd088c42f8b03a419a835.jpg

Here's a few more books from my collection.

All American 8 - 1st Ultra Man. DC's own attempt to rip off Superman. A very under-recognized book.

495630-all%20american%208.jpg

I just LOVE those pre-Green Lantern All-Americans. Virtually impossible to find in decent condition, many not appearing more than once in the census. I've got a few killer copies that I can't wait to show you...

Ultra-Man is so terribly uncool. So uncool, in fact, that he's now retro-chic. thumbsup2.gif

Detective Picture Stories 5 - listed as a Bruce Wayne prototype. I think it's more that Bob Kane didn't have the talent to draw more than one face.

CentaurMan, I'm waiting for you to post your copy. That's an AWESOME book. I wish my cash flow was higher when it was listed.

I don't have my copy's scan handy, but I do have the full run of Detective Picture Stories 1-5. Here's the hard-to-find 3rd issue:

Detective%20Picture%20Stories%203%20Front.jpg

This copy's trashed, having just about everything wrong with it that a single comic can without being coverless. But I thought you all might enjoy seeing this cover anyway:

allamerican_14.jpg

Well, at least the cover colors are nice.

This copy's trashed, having just about everything wrong with it that a single comic can without being coverless.

Yup, as I said, virtually impossible to find copies in decent grade. That said, the colors are tremendous, and you certainly get a feel for the "early All-American" style, which is pretty unique.

I always wondered why that guy on the left was using his miniature clown umbrella, instead of the parachute he's clearly wearing. Nice socks, too.

Here's a few more books from my collection.

All American 8 - 1st Ultra Man. DC's own attempt to rip off Superman. A very under-recognized book.

495630-all%20american%208.jpg

I just LOVE those pre-Green Lantern All-Americans. Virtually impossible to find in decent condition, many not appearing more than once in the census. I've got a few killer copies that I can't wait to show you...

Ultra-Man is so terribly uncool. So uncool, in fact, that he's now retro-chic. thumbsup2.gif

Yeah, I think he's wearing a diaper.

This is the nicest of the 3 copies I've seen. makepoint.gif

Ok, here's one of my slabbed books. My scanner isn't large enough to get the label, though, so I'll just have to read it.

All-American 6, from 1939. CGC VF- 7.5, unrestored, Off-White to White pages. This is the Larson copy, and it's the only one in the census.

All-American%206%20Front.jpg

buttock, dmgcsr, ft88, ...

Thanks for making this the best thread ever! It is fascinating to see how

comics transformed in this early period - that is why the MM Mags have

become my own favorite Disney run. Getting a peek at all these other titles

that went through a similiar evolution is extremely interesting!

Centaurman, that All American # 6 is tough to find in any condition. I also really like your New Adventure # 29; it is one of my favorite Flessel covers. Those New Adventures are perhaps the rarest of any title, which is why they dominate Ian's remaining want list. Here is one of the ones left on his list:

496548-NewAdv22.jpg

496548-NewAdv22.jpg.401e95354a5c19f935ba8a545e9d31c9.jpg

That AA #6 reminds of why the Smithsonian Book of Comic Book Comics is essential to any GA fan's collection. It reprints a ton of Sheldon Mayer Scribbly strips from those early All-American's, the guy was clearly head and shoulders above most of his peers in the early 40s.

Buttock, great posts, they more than compensate for your disturbing avatar. That AMF V.2#5 is great! As that piece missing looks like a bindry defect, I'm sure CGC won't knock off for it insane.gif

Wow. 893whatthe.gif I'm totally speechless on that New Adventure 22.

893whatthe.gif

How do I get to be in your will? Can you adopt me or something like that? My parents won't mind, when I explain why I'm doing it...

Centaur, Buttock, HKP, you guys are Killing me with this Thread!!!! 893applaud-thumb.gif Amazing stuff !!!! Keep it going!!! These are my kinda Threads!!! I'll see if I can post some of my books also ,I think some of you guys seen 'em before .but I'll post 'em again ,what the hell!!!

One other thing while I'm thinking about it! I have in my collection a Wonderworld # 3 & a Amazing Mystery Funnies Vol.2 # 7 1st Fantom of the Fair!! ,but both books are missing the centerfold ,does anyone have any scans of those centerfolds all 4 pages in each . I know it's asking alot ,but I would really appreciate it if somebody on the boards could do it if they can , Thanks!!! I'm hoping I can read these comics in there entirety!!!

893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif

That book is RARE!!!! (the 1.2, that is). I've been looking for years and have never seen one. The #1 comes up with some frequency, but anything from there to volume 2 #7 is almost unseen. I sold a 2.2, 2.3, and 2.4 several years ago and now I strongly regret it.

That is awesome! Congrats.

PS wanna sell it? wink.gif