• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1935-1940: The GOLDEN AGE of Golden Age

470 posts in this topic

Congratulations, ft88.

I know first hand how difficult the early WDCS are to find. I've been

trying to put a CGC VF+ or better run of the first 31 issues together

for the past 5 years but so far only have 9. If anyone has books in

the same shape as the one below, I will pay very generously (I've

outbid Steve Geppi for most copies that have been up for sale in

recent years).

wdcs26_m.jpg

Amazing book there. Have you thought about going to 7.5 to 8.0 on issues 1-10?

Only two have a prayer of getting an 8.5 or better. I'm not sure how the dust shadow will affect the grade and the spine isn't razor perfect but the corners and edges are nice. This looks like an 7.5 or 8.0 strictly graded.

wdcs13.jpg

And #29. This has a better shot at 8.5, great page quality too. Soft ULC and LLC and thats about it. We're not talking 9.6 here but its a good book. Amazing that this collection sat for the last 40 years for the most part and they still average Fine. Just goes to show how hard it is to find hi grade.

wdcs29.jpg

Ed

Ed,

Early WDCS in FN are hard to come by; I suspect you probably made a very good deal. I've been selling off a few midgrade copies recently as I've decided to concentrate on higher end books and move into early DCs. These were raw books that I started at $.01 with no reserve (money was not a priority to me on these), so you can probably do better with certification and a little patience.

Your #29 in particular is really nice, but I happen to have a CGC 9.2 already (sigh).

9 VG/FN $310

28 FN $150

5 FN $520

23 FN+ $340

30 FN- $140

13 VG $180

15 VG/FN $450

I haven't compared these results to CGC sales on GPAnalysis; maybe that'd give you a hint as to whether it is worth it to get them certified.

I'd be very interested in seeing a list of any books you might have for sale.

Centaurman, that Flash # 1 is Awesome!!!! I would like to see your Detective Picture Stories # 1 sometime ,undervalued book!!!! A True Classic in Comic History IMO!!!!! Someday hope to own one!!! cloud9.gif

Here's the complete Detective Picture Stories run, #1 to #5, 1936-1937. This was a fun and satisfying pre-Centaur set to collect, given both its historical significance and scarcity. This brief series was the first comic with a single theme, and contains early Clock stories, very early Will Eisner art, and the first Bob Kane detective/adventure story.

Now I'm just looking for upgrades. I'd call #1 a Fair 1.0, with the cover consisting of pieces married from 2 original covers. I think #2 is a Good 2.0 and #3 is a G/VG 3.0. #4 is in fantastic shape, probably at least a F/VF 7.0, while #5 is the Larson copy, CGC graded VF 8.0. I know I've posted two or three of these before, but I figured why not display them as a group:

DetectivePictureStories1Front.jpg

DetectivePictureStories2Front.jpg

Detective%20Picture%20Stories%203%20Front.jpg

Detective%20Picture%20Stories%204%20Front.jpg

DetectivePictureStories5aFront.jpg

Very cool run to see assembled.

I find it especially interesting how the last 2 issues so heavily focused mentioning the creators of the features right on the covers. It's easy to see the connection between these early comics and contemporary pulps. "Cartoon Thriller by Bill Eisner!"...

Very different than what happened just a few years later when the artists and writers became almost completely subsumed by the characters leaving much of the production of GA creators uncredited and anonymous.

Thanks again!

No, I bought it that way at San Diego. I think I paid more for it then than what Tim was asking for it 7 years later. I traded them off a while later to someone for a USA #1. The #3 was a Metropolis "unrestored" special, one of many. But the pages are incredible on that book. I can't imagine a 1936-37 book with better paper.

I paid $275 for it from him, after a pretty good volume discount. I bought literally dozens of 1930's books from him at once, and I think he was happy to have the liquidity. How many of his Centaurs previously belonged to you, would you guess?

Not many. There was that run of 1-5, I bought the 5 back from him. A funny pages 10, maybe a #2, 3, &4, and 2 or 3 Funny Picture Stories.

I don't know what I was thinking when I sold them. confused-smiley-013.gif

I'm guessing that I own all of those now. You can let me know when I get to posting their scans.

Why'd you choose to buy your DPS #5 back, as opposed to that fantastic #4? I'll admit that the cover to #5 is the best of the run, but that particular copy of #4 is one of the greatest non-pedigree 1937 comics I've ever seen.