• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1935-1940: The GOLDEN AGE of Golden Age

470 posts in this topic

Continuing my sporadic posts of pre-Green Lantern All-American's....

Here's All-American #13, CGC 7.0, off-white to white pages. As with my #6 and #9, this is the highest graded copy. In fact, as with my #6, this is the only unrestored copy in the census.

All-American13Front.jpg

893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif

That's a 7.0!?!?!? That looks AWESOME! Great book.

And here's my copy of All-American #14, CGC 7.0, off-white pages. A slightly less rare issue than some of the others I've posted, but still a challenge to find.

All-American14Front.jpg

All-American Comics 2-15, New Adventure Comics, and Movie Comics are the Centaurs of the early-DC world: shockingly hard to find, yet still somewhat affordable.

Here's a 1938 book with Wolverton art. There were only 3 issues of this title and all contain art by Wolverton, Eisner, Kane and Cole.

circus_1.jpg

Very nice! I've always been very curious about that 3-issue series. I see a decent number of copies of #1 (it seems like the same few rotate through Heritage a lot), but #2 and #3 are downright endangered.

Do the stories fit together pretty well thematically, or are they just vaguely circus/fun-related? What do they mean by "Complete Strip Novel"?

The stories run the gamut from humor, detective, kid adventure and space heroes. As far as I can tell, it was called Circus because it was to convince the kids that reading the stories would be fun. Each issue had a contest were 201 kids could win a dollar each!

The features in Circus ran 1 to 4 pages in length. The adventure strips ran from issue to issue with "teaser" titles at the end of the feature to entice the reader to buy the next issue. The stories in issue 3 are continued to the never published next issue.

The stories have almost have a newspaper-like strip quality. They packed a lot in a page as most pages had a dozen panels.

One of the Wolverton was titles Spacehawks, but it is different than the character that appeared in Target Comics. The early Wolverton space characters (Circus, the Centaurs and Target) are similar. Amazingly, the original art from some of the Wolverton Circus pages still exists and was auctioned off by Collectors Showcase (or Bookstore) back in the early 1970's. (And no, I do not own any, but have seen a page in a friend's collection.)

Next up, Movie Comics #1, from 1939. CGC 5.0, cream to off-white pages. As I mentioned much earlier in this thread, if you haven't seen the interior of these issues, you owe it to yourself to check one out. Really bizarre pasting of movie stills onto cartoon bodies/backgrounds. I'm not surprised it never caught on.

Movie1Front.jpg

Here's one of my copies of Wonder Comics #1, from May 1939. CGC 1.8, w/ slight amateur restoration. Doesn't get much worse than a PLOD 1.8!!

I think (off the top of my head) that this is the first Fox comic. Featuring the only appearance of Wonder Man, the first of the Superman clones. DC put a stop to him pretty quickly....

Wonder1Front.jpg

Looks decent for a 1.8, I guess it must be the stain at the bottom left - still looks a hell of alot nicer than that infamous Action #1 2.5. As for slight amature resto., I hardly see how it matters on a 1.8 - bust it out of that PLOD - it deserves better!

I'd have busted it out a while ago, but I have an unslabbed copy that I got from Metro many years ago, so I've read it already. I generally bust all of my PLODs out eventually.

The stain on the front cover is 20x worse on the back cover. The grade of 1.8 becomes much more understandable once you see it.

Here's All-American #13, CGC 7.0, off-white to white pages.

Centaur - that is one heck of a CGC 7!!!!!!!!! The books really "pops". Do you have grader notes on it? Wondering why it doesn't grade higher. Reagrdless, that is a real beauty!

No, I don't have the notes. It does have a dust shadow on the bottom of the front cover. I should call for them, but I'm not a member of the Collector's Society so I'm guessing I don't have access. Oh well, if I ever want to sell my books, I'll certainly do it.

Here's Flash Comics #1, CGC 5.0 unrestored, cream to off-white pages. You guys have about seen all of my keys at this point.

Flash1Front.jpg

I should call for them, but I'm not a member of the Collector's Society so I'm guessing I don't have access.

I'm not a member either but I have been able to just call and request grader notes. They've always been very courteous.

No, I don't have the notes. It does have a dust shadow on the bottom of the front cover. I should call for them, but I'm not a member of the Collector's Society so I'm guessing I don't have access. Oh well, if I ever want to sell my books, I'll certainly do it.

Dust shadow up most of the right edge too. Probably also on the back cover. Technically, a severe enough dust shadow is enough to keep a book out of VF. Still, that's a 7.0 I'd love to own! cloud9.gif

Centaurman, that Flash # 1 is Awesome!!!! I would like to see your Detective Picture Stories # 1 sometime ,undervalued book!!!! A True Classic in Comic History IMO!!!!! Someday hope to own one!!! cloud9.gif