• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1935-1940: The GOLDEN AGE of Golden Age

470 posts in this topic

This thread was too good to simply let die so I am getting started again.

I love books from this time frame, especially in high grade. Simply amazing that a 70 year old book can look so good. I am going to post a few of the nicer ones I have, starting with:

698783-Blue-Ribbon-1--Larson.jpg

Unfortunately the CGC paperwork is angled so that it creates a reflection, but a great book nonetheless.

698804-Circus-Comic-Riot-1.jpg

Indeed a great book....first Wolverton art.....since you have not cracked it open...this link should give you a taste..jon ...http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryPiece.asp?Page=1&Order=Date&Piece=38385&GSub=5186&GCat=0&UCat=0

Jon I assuming you have since cracked those slabbs?

The slabbed books belong to Esquire; Jon is a purist, he understands that comics should be liberated,.........and I agree with that 100% !!! yay.gif

The slabbed books belong to Esquire; Jon is a purist, he understands that comics should be liberated,.........and I agree with that 100% !!! yay.gif

Hey didn't you tell me to not crack my book from its slabb? poke2.gif27_laughing.gif

Yes! devil.gif

Anyway, Esquire is starting a website to sell comics, slabbed works for that. Jon is a collector, and unslabbed works for him. thumbsup2.gif

Hey didn't you tell me to not crack my book from its slabb? poke2.gif27_laughing.gif

Yes! devil.gif

Anyway, Esquire is starting a website to sell comics, slabbed works for that. Jon is a collector, and unslabbed works for him. thumbsup2.gif

I intend to remain true to my collecting role, but you're right, b/c I will be selling, my life is made easier by dealing with the slabs. The buyers can direct their complaint over the grade to CGC rather than me!

Believe me though, I am tempted to crack open these babies so I can read them!! One reason why I am working on obtaining a complete set of DC Archives so I can read the books I own!

Mark

I'm glad someone brought this thread back. I let it die when I changed my image hosting service, and all my links broke to my old pictures. That was discouraging, because the time limit for editing old messages had passed, thus all of my earlier posts had commentary but no images.

I had only gotten around to putting up about 1/3rd of my scans, so I've got plenty more to share. I'll start off by contributing some of the pictures that vanished in the earlier part of the thread, beginning with one of the favorites of my collection, from which my avatar was taken:

Adventure%2040a%20Front.jpg

The slab is a blue label, although it's noted that there's a very minor amount of glue on the cover. VG/FN 5.0.

To tell the truth, I have been known to have a beer or two.

"Purist"? Perhaps, however as The Game is played now, to maximize sale one should slabb. jon

Years ago, I decided to collect Catman starting with the Crash appearances. I looked for literally several years and never found Crash 4 or 5 frown.gif. I found lots of issues of Catman (including #1) and ended up with a small run. But never an early Crash. And you have the Church copy of #5... hail.gif