• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1935-1940: The GOLDEN AGE of Golden Age

470 posts in this topic

I thought he had it overgraded. He was calling it a F+, and I thought it was a VGF, and the staples are replaced. I don't know if he told you that. I think the #3 is trimmed also. If I wasn't cash poor at the time, I would have gone for the whole run. I would guess I could have pushed it to around $1500. But the cash wasn't there.

The paper on the whole set was outstanding. Especially the 1 & 3.

PUNYHUMAN, sorry it took so long to reply. I kind of forgot and then saw my copy in the box and remembered.

I count 12 pages on each side of the CF.

The 3 (6) page sty is:

1 pg gags

5 pages "Circus Sue" by Claire Moe.

Hope this helps.

And just for posterity, let's post another book. AMF v2 n1. I love the faces on this cover. "Dahling, we're at war...care for some caviar?"

529690-amfv2n1a.JPG

529690-amfv2n1a.JPG.ab25cabd4f96989b117aff156884bd2b.JPG

Thanks for the info! I'll be checking out my book sometime over the weekend.

BTW Great book you just posted ,that cover is so cool!! thumbsup2.gif893applaud-thumb.gif I love those early Centaurs,hard to find though. They make the hunt so worthwhile when you do find one!!! grin.gif

And just for posterity, let's post another book. AMF v2 n1. I love the faces on this cover. "Dahling, we're at war...care for some caviar?"

529690-amfv2n1a.JPG

Another absolutely gorgeous book from your collection. I just love the green and yellow colours on this cover. This book must be extrememly tough to find since I've never seen it anywhere. Not even on a scan.

I feel sorry that I gave up on finding nice Centaurs because they were just so tough to find in grade. What condition is yours in since it actually shows quite nicely? Has this one been in your collection for a long time or is it just a recent purchase?

Congrats on another beautiful book. I have to start finding some of these for myself. 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

AWESOME book. That's one from the "impossible to find" subset of Amazing Mystery Funnies. Well done! 893applaud-thumb.gif

As you've probably noticed, I've been away from the computer a lot the past 2 weeks. I can't wait to get back to scanning, but for now, no time. Lots more to show, though...

Ok, one quick scan. Whirlwind Comics #3, CGC 5.0 unrestored, off-white pages, and I think (although I may be mis-remembering) it's a Gerber 9:

Whirlwind3Front.jpg

AWESOME book. That's one from the "impossible to find" subset of Amazing Mystery Funnies. Well done! 893applaud-thumb.gif

As you've probably noticed, I've been away from the computer a lot the past 2 weeks. I can't wait to get back to scanning, but for now, no time. Lots more to show, though...

Ok, one quick scan. Whirlwind Comics #3, CGC 5.0 unrestored, off-white pages, and I think (although I may be mis-remembering) it's a Gerber 9:

Whirlwind3Front.jpg

I've certainly never seen a copy of that book before.

Bravo! 893applaud-thumb.gif

529690-amfv2n1a.JPG

Another absolutely gorgeous book from your collection. I just love the green and yellow colours on this cover. This book must be extrememly tough to find since I've never seen it anywhere. Not even on a scan.

I feel sorry that I gave up on finding nice Centaurs because they were just so tough to find in grade. What condition is yours in since it actually shows quite nicely? Has this one been in your collection for a long time or is it just a recent purchase?

Congrats on another beautiful book. I have to start finding some of these for myself. 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

It's a recent purchase. With Centaurs, diligence and patience pays off.

I bought it as a VG!!! Structurally, it's probably a F+ or VF-, it just has the dust shadows. Needless to say, I was very pleased when I opened the package. A far cry from ebay purchases.

It will take you several years to get a collection of any substance, but when it's there, you'll really enjoy it.

This to share one of my very favorite books with the people who

have signed on in the past 18 months. Mickey Mouse Magazine V2#3

is one of the most elusive, valuable and unusual Disney comics

from the platinum age. With its 96 pages and 25c cover price, it

was a radical departure from the other issues in the title. A bold,

unsuccessful experiment among many that fell by the wayside on the

bloody path towards the modern comic book format.

Judging from its scarcity today, the book must have been a complete

and utter failure back in '36. The second nicest copy I have ever

seen for sale was in the VG/FN range. Last month, I sold another

VG/FN with a complete spine split for around $500. I'd grade this

one VF/NM or NM- with incredible white pages. Only a tiny 1/16"

tear along the right edge (didn't fit on scan) keeps it from NM

or above. My best find ever on eBay (bought it back in '99).

mmv23_m.jpg

Hi my name is guy and i would like to know if you would be willing to scan the 5 Detective Picture Stories that you have posted as i am trying to gather all the information on the Centaur comic line as i can find

Thank You & God Bless Guy smile.gif

Are you wanting the interiors? I might be willing to photograph it, but not scan it.