• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1935-1940: The GOLDEN AGE of Golden Age

470 posts in this topic

I could be wrong here, but I think I remember reading in "Comics Between the Panels" that the Comstock-Lode and Carson City pedigrees both refer to the same collection? The book has a long section about Comstock-Lode and the story behind it is as interesting as it is outrageous. Steve Geppi's Comstock copy of the 1939 World's Fair sold at Heritage a couple of years ago; there are several other "Carson City" copies in their archives.

I could be wrong here, but I think I remember reading in "Comics Between the Panels" that the Comstock-Lode and Carson City pedigrees both refer to the same collection? The book has a long section about Comstock-Lode and the story behind it is as interesting as it is outrageous. Steve Geppi's Comstock copy of the 1939 World's Fair sold at Heritage a couple of years ago; there are several other "Carson City" copies in their archives.

You are quite correct. They are one and the same....jon

My next book is Detective Comics #9, from 1937. Some great Siegel & Shuster in here, of course, once again drawing every hero's face exactly like Superman would end up looking. The Flessel cover actually comes from a 6-page interior TEXT story, oddly enough. I also think it's unusual that the cop has blond hair. Virtually every detective story I've seen from this (or any) era has a dark-haired protagonist.

Detective%209%20Front.jpg

Win,

Out of all the people who post books in any of these forums, yours make me say "WHOA!!!" more than just about anyone else's.

So without further ado,

WHOA!!! 893whatthe.gifhail.gif

Man do I wish I was around 30 years ago to grab that stuff when it was cheap. Sigh.

But it still would've seemed like a lot of money even 30 years ago,....imagine, paying $50.00 to $100.00 for a comic book,.....indeed!!! 893naughty-thumb.gifsumo.gif

27_laughing.gif

If we only knew! foreheadslap.gif

That is a superb copy, Jon. Is it a pedigree? Restored? And finally, what grade is it?

OK, two more questions, which I'll open to the floor -- 1) Is there an Edgar Church Tec #1, and if so, who owns it and what grade is it? 2) What is the best known copy of Tec #1 and where is it?

I like 'tecs also...jon

That is a superb copy, Jon. Is it a pedigree? Restored? And finally, what grade is it?

OK, two more questions, which I'll open to the floor -- 1) Is there an Edgar Church Tec #1, and if so, who owns it and what grade is it? 2) What is the best known copy of Tec #1 and where is it?

I like 'tecs also...jon

FFB;

Not sure if there is a Church copy of 'Tec #1 out there. Steve Fishler would know for sure since he has a super sharp memory for things such as this.

I believe the Windy City Copy of 'Tec #1 is probably the highest or second highest copy of this book in existence. Can't remember the grade, but probably somewhere in the VF or VF+ range.

My next selection is the rarely seen first full cover appearance of the Doll Man, in Feature Comics #30. These very early Doll Man issues (#27-#32) are among the hardest 1939-1940 superhero books to find, although they'll hardly break your budget if you do stumble across one. (I'm sure Jon has them all in NM condition, of course. wink.gif )

Feature%2030%20Front.jpg

My next selection is the rarely seen first full cover appearance of the Doll Man, in Feature Comics #30. These very early Doll Man issues (#27-#32) are among the hardest 1939-1940 superhero books to find, although they'll hardly break your budget if you do stumble across one. (I'm sure Jon has them all in NM condition, of course. wink.gif )

Feature%2030%20Front.jpg

cloud9.gif

I'm surprised at the relatively low prices of Quality Comics in the marketplace, as most of these books live up to the publishers name. Some of the best art and story to grace the Golden Age.

Feature%2030%20Front.jpg

cloud9.gif

I'm surprised at the relatively low prices of Quality Comics in the marketplace, as most of these books live up to the publishers name. Some of the best art and story to grace the Golden Age.

You are quite right. These books have some of the best INTERIOR art of the GA....However, with few exceptions these books lag because of the ho-hum covers by Gill Fox, Crowley and others.....Yes the Hits by Fine and the National are exceptions.....There are great interiors to Smash, Crack and Feature Funnies that go unnoticed and also for issues of Police and Military....jon

I like 'tecs also...jon

When i got it it had a quater inch of tape on bottom spine which i had removed....also deacified...a thing we did in the 80s...I left the other 'defects' alone..it is a great book supple....great color....Back when i got it, it was advertised as 25% off....

Next up, one of the least relevant of all early Flash Comics covers, but still a pretty cool, hard to find book. Got this one from Vincent's Collectibles at a small Boston convention, before Vince hooked up with Metro.

Flash%203%20Front.jpg

Great book, centaurman! Please keep posting.

I'll use the opportunity to ask for help locating a file copy of Mickey Mouse Magazine V1#2 that Metropolis listed for sale last summer. Unfortunately, it was already sold by the time I saw it. If anyone knows where this book is now, I'd very much like to hear from you. Aside from the $5,000 + $500 referral fee I'll pay for it, you'll make me almost as happy as you would Ian by helping him find a NA#26. Below is a scan of my current copy, which is the lowest grade (I'd give it an FN-) among the 58 issues in my collection.

mmv12.jpg

Next up, a series that I'm hoping Jon Berk has written a piece about: Hyper Mystery Comics. It began in 1940, lasting only two issues, and here's my copy of #2 (which had a great cover, far superior to #1):

Hyper%20Mystery%202%20Front.jpg

Actually, on further review, it kind of looks like that guy recently ate an extra large helping of my grandma's baked beans.