• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bernie Wrightson Appreciation Thread

287 posts in this topic

Swamp Thing #7 is one of my all time favorites as well. Dunno why there's practically no demand for this book.

I'd guess the answer is over-supply. Back in the early 1970s, Wrightson was the Next Big Thing (along with Barry Smith and to a less extent Mike Kaluta) following in the wake of Neal Adams and Jim Steranko, artists' whose work was broken out in Overstreet as fetching higher prices. HoS #92 flew under the radar, but the new ongoing Wrightson Swamp Thing series was telegraphed to speculators of the day well in advance.

See also The Shadow #1-4, Shazam #1-10, Tarzan #207-210.

I don't seem to be able to quote the covers you've posted. The one I'm most interested in is the 'I'll Be Damned' cover, which I've never seen before. I can see much more Frazetta influence there, commonly overshadowed by Wrightson's Ingels-like technique. Good stuff.

The nicest CGC 8.5 you will EVER see...

6320151536_e427015fbf_b.jpg

That has exceptional eye appeal. The number on the slab is pretty much irrelevant to me in a situation like this. (thumbs u

The nicest CGC 8.5 you will EVER see...

That has exceptional eye appeal. The number on the slab is pretty much irrelevant to me in a situation like this. (thumbs u

Thanks. I have a CGC 9.6 SS so I'm not too worried. I'll be selling this one off to some luck Wrightson fan soon. I was really expecting a 9.6 on this one but there is a faint dog ear on the back cover

I, too, am a huge fan of Berni! Had the pleasure of meeting him a couple of times... very nice, personable guy.

Agreed. I've seen him show up at almost all the So. Cal convention show's I've attended the last year and has been nice in signing the books I've brought to him. Only disappointed that he doesn't do sketch commissions at the shows when I've asked.

Really got into his art after picking up several issues of Tales of the Unexpected this year. Finally broke down and bought a preliminary art page from him last weekend at LBCC since he had a portfolio of art that was finally within my price range.

I, too, am a huge fan of Berni! Had the pleasure of meeting him a couple of times... very nice, personable guy.

Agreed. I've seen him show up at almost all the So. Cal convention show's I've attended the last year and has been nice in signing the books I've brought to him. Only disappointed that he doesn't do sketch commissions at the shows when I've asked.

Really got into his art after picking up several issues of Tales of the Unexpected this year. Finally broke down and bought a preliminary art page from him last weekend at LBCC since he had a portfolio of art that was finally within my price range.

2 years ago in Baltimore or Heroes (IIRC) I offered him $1,500 to sketch on a Marvel blank. He smiled and respectfully declined.

I don't seem to be able to quote the covers you've posted. The one I'm most interested in is the 'I'll Be Damned' cover, which I've never seen before. I can see much more Frazetta influence there, commonly overshadowed by Wrightson's Ingels-like technique. Good stuff.

Thanks. That was the first and only time I'd ever seen one for sale.

It's a very unique piece. (thumbs u

You couldn't quote it because it's an attachment. Just copy the URL and put it in with the "img" tags.

116849.jpg