• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Emerald City Comic Con 2012

437 posts in this topic

Called Vons and they have a happy hour from 5-6 which includes food (he said the whole restrnt) which for me makes Friday look even better. The show is scheduled Friday from 2 - 10. Not sure if this would be too early - especially for late arrivals.

Any thoughts? Anyone actually care? lol

I meant to write a reply -

5-6 is too early for me on Friday since I will need to spend time setting up camp in my hotel room and organizing my friends, so Saturday might be better since I assume others will be in similar positions. I am good with any restaurant though!

I'm going to this one for the first time this year.

Does anyone have any pointers for the show? Or any decent places to eat around the convention centre, that sort of thing?

I've done NYCC a few times so know what I am getting into for a big show.

Does anyone have any pointers for the show? Or any decent places to eat around the convention centre, that sort of thing?

If you drive to the show, try to get your parking included in the rate (or some kind of discount). I learned the hard way last year and paid almost as much for parking as my room rate.

If you drive to the show, try to get your parking included in the rate (or some kind of discount). I learned the hard way last year and paid almost as much for parking as my room rate.

I am not driving, but I have a friend who is.

That is very good to know, thank you.

It's kind of funny though, I got my flight on a seat sale that will cost roughly the same as his gas.

This con is predominately a creator show. I'd say at least 50% of the booths are for an individual writer or artist to sit at. So, if you're going for sketches, pick one or two people that you absolutely have to be on their sketch list, go to the first one Friday when the show opens, go to the 2nd one Saturday when the show opens. (If you're feeling really lucky, you can try another artist on Sunday morning, but typically most artists' lists are full by Sunday morning)

Make a list of the creators attending before you get there, decide on your "must sees", then your "really wanna see" and finally the "if I have time to see" list. It sounds obvious, but the days can go quickly, and the lines for creators can, sometimes, move slowly as some fans enjoy LOOOOOOOONG conversations with their heroes. :)

Other than that, wear comfy shoes, hit the ATM in advance, bring a bottle of water, etc. There's several chain restaurants nearby the convention center (Cheesecake Factory, can't remember the others), Von's Roast House which is excellent, the Metropolitan Grill is pricey but good.

Joel

Cheesecake Factory is great - terrific atmosphere, big floor and good food.

We did a forum dinner there three years ago and waited well over an hour for a table because they do not do reservations - at least the place didn't at the time.