• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
71 71

63,829 posts in this topic

On 5/18/2021 at 9:48 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

opinions?

I’d sell anything you can make a profit on. There will always be good deals to be had. Book your profits while you can. Personally I much prefer selling slabs over raws. It turns them into bearer bonds. 

On 5/18/2021 at 8:34 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

I have so far knock on wood had no problems selling raws but I don't like to which is my personal feeling. Giver there are still 2 more seasons to go, is it worth holding? Or selling because the value isn't long term?

It's a great story, I'm just unfamiliar with this particular series to know if in it's 144 issues only there will be more issues? Another ongoing? A future for the value of the book....

This is the toughest question to answer in the market right now because, IMO, the increased values are coming from new buyer behaviors that may or may not hold. A lot of collectors, myself included, got back into collecting during the pandemic. I had extra cash and thought it'd be fun and I've always been a collector so once I scratched the itch a tiny bit it only grew and here I am. I'm back in it for the long haul. For others? Once they are able to go to concerts again, spend lots of time with their friends again, go to other events again... how much money will be diverted from the hobby as things open up? And will fans react to subsequent seasons of Invincible like they did with this one, by snapping things up? Maybe. Maybe not.

There are a lot of reasons to like Invincible and lots of the rumored stuff upcoming on Amazon Prime like Silk... Amazon as an organization believes very strongly in loss leaders. They're willing to burn 10s of millions of dollars on Invincible, on promoting Invincible, if they believe it will get more people to watch stuff on Prime which makes Prime stickier for their customers which results in hundreds or thousands of dollars in additional sales on Amazon.com per year... I used to work for coporate... this way of thinking has been great for content creators on Prime... they get budgets way bigger than the audiences they were attracting early on justified. I left a few years back so not super sure if that's still the case but I imagine so.

Since I can't tell the future, I can only tell you how I would approach it. Hedge your bets. For the stuff and 1st apps that were already touched on in season 1? Sell them raw if they're mid. If you think anything key has a shot at 9.6+ get them pressed, cleaned, and graded IMO. If it's key and not going to grade very high IMO some of your best raws it's worth getting them pressed and cleaned even to sell as a raw book. Use Buy it Nows to ensure you get the price you want on the raws... I only let raw books go to auction if they're hugely in demand, one of the most searched books from a run, and a generally very, very popular run. Most of my Amazing Spider-Man and Batman I still DON'T let go to auction and those are the 2 most popular characters of the last 50 years AFAIK. Slabs I sometimes auction if they're from a popular series and it's a major, heavily searched book. You want to let your slabbed ASM 300 go to auction but your high grade raw ASM 75? Not searched nearly as often even though it's SA and folks might miss it... set a BIN. My 2 cents. And just my worthless opinion so take it or leave it!

6 hours ago, Arkham said:

As a buyer, who hates eBay (and the fee-covering prices, import taxes and elevated shipping that I don’t get charged when I buy anywhere else), those sellers who are leaving it - please post your new locations so I can stalk you there. Thanks. 

Mercari

IG (Instagram)

10 hours ago, The Green Ghost said:

With no offense intended to anyone, I think sometimes the reasons for why a particular comic is popping should be detailed if you know, instead of just throwing it out there. We went through three pages of people panicking about Ravage 2099 when it turns out MCP 117 was just for the Venom cover. Just my two cents.

Speculators are gonna speculate.

lol Wow

9 hours ago, TheSpud said:

Not knocking Ebay with my original point (Which I think started this little discussion?)

My point was the managed payments may cause problems come June 1st.

I signed up for them around 3 weeks ago, sales are around 20% down (but not bad)

However, I'm an impulse buyer & use my Paypal for buying.

I have bought nothing on Ebay for 3 weeks

This is what makes no sense.  When my money would go to PayPal, I’m much more likely to buy more on EBay using that balance in US funds.  Once deposited to my account, EBay isn’t getting my money.

22 minutes ago, THE_BEYONDER said:

This is what makes no sense.  When my money would go to PayPal, I’m much more likely to buy more on EBay using that balance in US funds.  Once deposited to my account, EBay isn’t getting my money.

Same here. Ebay/Paypal always served as my discretionary spending account. Now that those funds are mixed with my ‘real world’ money I’ll be less likely to spend it.

On 5/28/2021 at 11:24 PM, awakeintheashes said:

I think it’s the first time Wolverine and Venom meet/fight. 

All these MCP Kieth's have cool covers and the venom and wolverine stuff is cool, other than the fact that there seem to be trillions of them out there, I am surprised more have not popped. (With that said, Comichron gives the impression that there are not vast quantities of them, at least by early 90s standards)

5 hours ago, Brock said:

I’m in Canada, and we’re just about to make the transition (at least, I’m being told I have to - it could be a staggered rollout).

However, eBay linked me to a video that suggested buyers could make payment to their new system in lots of different ways, including PayPal. What am I missing?

You can pay with whatever you want, Mastercard, Amex, Paypal etc but Ebay will send the payment to your bank account. It will no longer go to Paypal.

Ebay now take the fee Paypal used to take on top of all their other fees.

6 hours ago, Brock said:

I’m in Canada, and we’re just about to make the transition (at least, I’m being told I have to - it could be a staggered rollout).

However, eBay linked me to a video that suggested buyers could make payment to their new system in lots of different ways, including PayPal. What am I missing?

As others have mentioned.  This move is so that Ebay can take the cut from selling that PayPal used to get for payment processing.  The reason they still allow it as a payment method for buying is not to limit the buyers. All just ways for Ebay to increase the take on their end. 

27 minutes ago, onlyweaknesskryptonite said:

As others have mentioned.  This move is so that Ebay can take the cut from selling that PayPal used to get for payment processing.  The reason they still allow it as a payment method for buying is not to limit the buyers. All just ways for Ebay to increase the take on their end. 

And it now takes 2 to 5 days before you get the money in your bank account. Previously, it was instantly transferred into your Paypal account, but no more.

2 hours ago, TheSpud said:
7 hours ago, Brock said:

You can pay with whatever you want, Mastercard, Amex, Paypal etc but Ebay will send the payment to your bank account. It will no longer go to Paypal.

Ebay now take the fee Paypal used to take on top of all their other fees.

You make it sound like ebay is killing you in fees. If you are paying more then 15% something is wrong. Or you don't have enough volume. 
It seems hard to comprehend, but when you sometimes making a 500% profit on a book even after cost is 15% really that much for sleeping
or cutting the grass while your book sales?

19 hours ago, fastballspecial said:

I love it more sales for me. Its not like you read buyers are quitting.
My volume isn't slowing down so I am very appreciative of other sellers leaving. 
The fees don't bother me and the only other place I would go would be IG and even that has some problems. 
Please convince more to leave. Thanks ahead of time. 

The managed payment system is a huge annoyance, and I hate it, but eBay is still the biggest game around. There is no comparable market for moving the kind of stuff I sell and getting it in front of the most eyeballs.

1 hour ago, fastballspecial said:

You make it sound like ebay is killing you in fees. If you are paying more then 15% something is wrong. Or you don't have enough volume. 
It seems hard to comprehend, but when you sometimes making a 500% profit on a book even after cost is 15% really that much for sleeping

Comic link is 10% 

1 hour ago, fastballspecial said:

yeah, but a lot of times you aren't making 500%. sell a slab you paid $60 for (before taxes and shipping) for $90 and you are breaking even or losing money, even though it went "up" 50%.

2 hours ago, littledoom said:
3 hours ago, fastballspecial said:

Comic link is 10% 

I think there is quite a bit more detail there you are leaving out on their options of selling. I am not saying 
their service isnt great, but that 10% is misleading there is more to it then that.