• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
71 71

63,839 posts in this topic

7 hours ago, RJ MacReady said:

Fools errand if and only if you truly don’t believe Dylan will be Venom in the comics and regularly sooner than later. If and when Knull comes back especially, Dylan as Venom will go hand in hand. Honestly this is one of the more common sense spec books of recent memory. Ratio buy and hold is worth it. People don’t even realize Dylan becomes Venom yet because it hasn’t been widely reported publicly yet. But it’s already driving Venom 7 and 9 sales left and right:

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=first+appearance+dylan+brock&_trksid=p2334524.m4084.l1313&_odkw=first+appearance+dylan+brock&LH_Complete=1&LH_Sold=1

Book will get in people’s hands today so I predict you’ll see more movement and price hikes after today

threads like this about the ratios of a Venom comic with 47 different covers are what make modern collecting suck.  I wouldn't urinate on this book if it was on fire.  Collect things worth collecting, not this contrived hype machine manufactured collectible nonsense.  :censored:

Edited by MyNameIsLegion

5 hours ago, RJ MacReady said:

Venom 9 has been a hot book since the beginning of time. It’s only dropped in price as much as it did because of what Cates did to Dylan. Watching Top 10 lists on yt or reading Bleeding cool, it’s just always far too late. Definitely wouldn’t depend on those sites, channels to buy or sell. Just my opinion tho if it works for you then all power.

9 was only hot after 11 came out and you saw who that kid was  

8 hours ago, RJ MacReady said:

Honestly this is one of the more common sense spec books of recent memory.

I don't know if you were around for the speculator boom of the '90s, but the "common sense spec books" like X-Men #1 and Superman #75 took forever to be worth more than cover price (and still haven't gained much when you factor in inflation), and others, like Turok #1, will probably never be worth the purchase price.

look, i get all this such-and-such ain't worth a nickel from the old heads who've seen it before but isn't it worth considering maybe this is a different ballgame? i mean you look at streaming services which seem to be pretty popular right now and how much of that content is comic-based... is it really all that crazy that people want in on the ground floor?

personally i'm really into pch stuff but there's no market for it. there sure as heck seems to be for whatever the flavor of the week is and marvel is making *really* (really) good stuff out of whatever is out there among others. sweet tooth is *really really* good. loki is like *really really* good

16 minutes ago, Dr. Ogie Porterhouse said:

look, i get all this such-and-such ain't worth a nickel from the old heads who've seen it before but isn't it worth considering maybe this is a different ballgame? i mean you look at streaming services which seem to be pretty popular right now and how much of that content is comic-based... is it really all that crazy that people want in on the ground floor?

There are plenty of other new books worthy of spec. This is not one. There are a lot of people who lurk and read this thread for info about what to buy. Many of us are providing reasons why this isn’t a book to spec on. No reason for newbies to sour on the hobby because of bad information. 

Edited by awakeintheashes

6 minutes ago, BishopT said:

So, how about a book that’s actually hot from today?

Usagi Yojimbo #20

Yeah. It was a ghost on my trips today. My one store that orders heavy on small print books was out when I went this afternoon. I slept on this one and failed to preorder. Will be a book to watch if the new character takes off. 

Edited by awakeintheashes

6 hours ago, gradejunky said:

The biggest problem in my experience is that people don't want to read.  I post books saying 2nd print in the title and the body of the listing for example;not to mention the UPC showing 2nd print, and 2nd printing written somewhere on the cover maybe.  Then someone comes along and asks me in a message whether or not the book is a 1st print.....WTF!?!  If someone doesn't know that the book is a reprint by looking at the huge True Believers written on the top, the modern day UPC in the left corner, the brand new looking paper and materials etc., the cover price itself AND the fact that the CGC label denotes the year printed, and that it reprints X-Men #129 then I have no remorse for the buyer.  Somehow the seller is supposed to read the listing for them and then telepathically give them the info...sorry folks that is only in the comics we love and read.  These same people must need someone to tell them to wipe their arse after they take a dump, too!

:sumo::sumo::sumo::sumo::sumo:

Wow, that price is insane.  Poor person.

Patrick

12 minutes ago, littledoom said:

Thor Annual 18 is just about on it's way to being another high printed 90s polybaged $100 comic. Should have bought some copies off ebay last week when they could be bought for $5-10 bucks :}

Granted print runs in the '90s generally were much higher than they are today, but I don't know that I'd call this one "high-printed"; Thor wasn't particularly popular at that point and annuals in general weren't as popular as books in the regular run of a title. I know the 1993 Marvel annuals had the same gimmick of a new character in every issue, but I don't remember anyone discussing speculating on this book back then – it was pretty much all about the X-books at that point.

28 minutes ago, GeeksAreMyPeeps said:

Granted print runs in the '90s generally were much higher than they are today, but I don't know that I'd call this one "high-printed"; Thor wasn't particularly popular at that point and annuals in general weren't as popular as books in the regular run of a title. I know the 1993 Marvel annuals had the same gimmick of a new character in every issue, but I don't remember anyone discussing speculating on this book back then – it was pretty much all about the X-books at that point.

HA, that's true.  Adam X, 3rd brother, nobody gives a dizzle.  

Patrick

1 hour ago, awakeintheashes said:

There are plenty of other new books worthy of spec. This is not one. There are a lot of people who lurk and read this thread for info about what to buy. Many of us are providing reasons why this isn’t a book to spec on. No reason for newbies to sour on the hobby because of bad information. 

cool i think maybe the point i was trying to make but maybe didn't express so well for some people is that today's collector might be motivated by different things than some of us that have been in the hobby a while. not talking about a specific book but as someone who did read books in that era i actually very much liked the kieron gillen loki-as-a-hot-chick run and the loki-as-a-kid run with his girlfriend and thor's  puppy or whatever. not even sure what you're attacking besides a straw-man there but hey thanks for letting me know the forum i'm in and how many posts i have.

2 hours ago, Dr. Ogie Porterhouse said:

personally i'm really into pch stuff but there's no market for it. there sure as heck seems to be for whatever the flavor of the week is and marvel is making *really* (really) good stuff out of whatever is out there among others. sweet tooth is *really really* good. loki is like *really really* good

Uh...no market for PCH? "Russian Intelligence, are you mad?" - Austin Danger Powers

13 minutes ago, Dr. Ogie Porterhouse said:

cool i think maybe the point i was trying to make but maybe didn't express so well for some people is that today's collector might be motivated by different things than some of us that have been in the hobby a while. not talking about a specific book but as someone who did read books in that era i actually very much liked the kieron gillen loki-as-a-hot-chick run and the loki-as-a-kid run with his girlfriend and thor's  puppy or whatever. not even sure what you're attacking besides a straw-man there but hey thanks for letting me know the forum i'm in and how many posts i have.

No attack on you. I was referring to the people who lurk that tend to be new to the hobby or coming back to it.

I think you may be missing the point I was making. We are all for new books getting hot...even random ones for random reasons like you state. The dialogue over the previous pages has been about a book that has enough supply to meet any demand, but the OP seems to think it's a no-brainer spec play or wants others to think so.