• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
71 71

63,832 posts in this topic

On 6/19/2023 at 8:32 PM, divad said:

Thought I'd mention this one again . . .  in the SOLD context! :bigsmile:

ULTIMATE SPIDER-MAN #60 Aug 2004 NM+ 9.6 CARNAGE X-Scarce NEWSSTAND Edition B/O
Sold Jun 11, 2023Sold Item
$120.00
whitecollargrime (172) 100%
1 bid
+$8.75 shipping

Nice sale. Newsstand copy. Remember when there used to be a debate on here whether people paid a premium for newsstand copies?

On 6/27/2023 at 10:37 PM, S James said:

He basically escaped Russia back in October, and I have no idea what his living situation is.  He was also pretty cool to talk to, so I can cut an artist some slack.  He was also selling it by himself rather than how he normally does it though Inkyknuckles.  I’ve bought a couple of his works from them and they were in great condition.

Awesome pickup!

On 6/28/2023 at 9:38 PM, Corona smith said:

What specific endless dishonest hype are you referring to? 

The contents of multiple websites that are regularly brought up here and which have unfortunately spread far and wide. Ludicrous nonsense repeated ad nauseum as fact. The same stuff I correct at every opportunity... and there have been many opportunities.

On 6/29/2023 at 5:22 PM, Lazyboy said:

The contents of multiple websites that are regularly brought up here and which have unfortunately spread far and wide. Ludicrous nonsense repeated ad nauseum as fact. The same stuff I correct at every opportunity... and there have been many opportunities.

You do understand what specific means, right? What websites and info are you referring to? What proof or evidence do you have to dispute this erroneous information? 

Edited by Corona smith

Spiderman 7 (first Spiderboy, Ramos Variant CGC 9.8), sellers at Wa State comic con told me last week that they received a lot of requests for it.

( Interesting note: MCS has auctioned two of these in recent weeks for 145 and one at 155 current...but you can buy them on Ebay for 99...some people not doing their due diligence) 

Screen Shot 2023-07-01 at 10.57.19 AM.png

Edited by Ed Hanes

On 7/1/2023 at 10:58 AM, Ed Hanes said:

( Interesting note: MCS has auctioned two of these in recent weeks for 145 and one at 155 current...but you can buy them on Ebay for 99...some people not doing their due diligence) 

I sold a comic for $114 on a recent MCS auction that I had a duplicate of for BIN on MCS for $90, so that's definitely true. Both same grade.

some people not doing their due diligence

On 7/1/2023 at 12:32 PM, Tnexus said:
On 7/1/2023 at 10:58 AM, Ed Hanes said:

I sold a comic for $114 on a recent MCS auction that I had a duplicate of for BIN on MCS for $90, so that's definitely true. Both same grade.

So both buyers AND sellers! lol

I just so happened to stumble upon a Ebay live sale yesterday as I got quite a few notifications on my phone from from the site.  I clicked on one to just check it out (something I don't often do, because I hate watching videos on cellphones.).  Anyhow, the 1st book up for the live auction I caught was a Spider-Man #7 Ramos variant raw.  I missed where they may have suggested a grade, but it was in a bag/board so not much could be seen on the book grade-wise.  I couldn't believe my eyes when the hammer landed at $108...for a raw!  I cannot wrap my head around how some people get so caught up in an auction to bid items up like that, especially since they could have just grabbed an already slabbed 9.8 for the same price, correct?

Edited by gradejunky

On 7/1/2023 at 3:18 PM, Lightning55 said:

I think it depends on which Ramos variant it is. Some versions are limited copies, or 1 per 50, 1 per 100, etc., and can get to a big number. 

These are the ones posted above with Spider Boy on the front jumping over building and a pigeon at the corner,  Spider-Man 7E

Edited by Ed Hanes

On 7/1/2023 at 6:18 PM, Lightning55 said:

I think it depends on which Ramos variant it is. Some versions are limited copies, or 1 per 50, 1 per 100, etc., and can get to a big number. 

It was absolutely the regular Ramos variant.  Not the ratio.

On 7/1/2023 at 7:16 PM, Lightning55 said:

Do you have a link to the auction? Could also be the bidders misidentifying the copy, thinking it's something it's not.

This was a live auction which I believe ebay just rolled out that works exactly like Whatnot where the sellers are talking and moving around grabbing books, etc.  I do not think that there is a sold listing to find as I just looked at ended/sold listings and there is no option to search for live auction results.  I went into the room, saw the book at like $30, and bids kept coming in as the clock ran down.  At like 2 seconds left on the clock a bidder would bid again, and the clock would reset to 8 seconds, I believe.  Saw the bids hit $60, then $80 something and finally ending about a minute after I entered the room for $108.  I assure you it was the regular Ramos trade dress variant, not the 1:25 virgin.  I was looking right at the book for over a minute.  That is why I brought it up here.  Live auctions bring out the crazy bidders with more dollars than sense as they say.  Now, was there a shill bidder or two in the room?  Did the winning bidder actually pay?  No one knows except the seller.

On 7/1/2023 at 6:37 PM, gradejunky said:

This was a live auction which I believe ebay just rolled out that works exactly like Whatnot where the sellers are talking and moving around grabbing books, etc.  I do not think that there is a sold listing to find as I just looked at ended/sold listings and there is no option to search for live auction results.  I went into the room, saw the book at like $30, and bids kept coming in as the clock ran down.  At like 2 seconds left on the clock a bidder would bid again, and the clock would reset to 8 seconds, I believe.  Saw the bids hit $60, then $80 something and finally ending about a minute after I entered the room for $108.  I assure you it was the regular Ramos trade dress variant, not the 1:25 virgin.  I was looking right at the book for over a minute.  That is why I brought it up here.  Live auctions bring out the crazy bidders with more dollars than sense as they say.  Now, was there a shill bidder or two in the room?  Did the winning bidder actually pay?  No one knows except the seller.

I see this on Whatnot a lot too. If you're patient and don't get caught up in the frenzy (and don't bid on stuff just to get a chance in a raffle or whatever), you can actually find some deals, but they're few and far between.

I can remember watching a LCS owner friend run one of his Facebook auctions and was amazed at all of the common GD to VG Bronze Age books he was selling for $20-$40 that were available at stores and on eBay in the $4-$8 range. It was crazy. He was blowing out the drek from collections that would not sell in the store via the auctions for higher prices than he would get for higher grade copies in their bins.