• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
71 71

63,829 posts in this topic

Unfortunately, due to the CGC phenomenon, ours is a cover sport. The highest graded copies of first appearances and key events are the items that command the largest prices.

Collecting favourite issues or runs is no problem - they just won't appreciate (ever) in the way those issues that are regarded as true assets do.

For example, I have always liked the original Captain Marvel and have an interest in gems. Hence a fondness for Marvel Team-Up #16. Then there's my favourite super-hero team (the Avengers) and of course gems (Martinex), which made Avengers #167 a favourite as a child (the George Perez art helped!).

Neither comic will ever set the world on fire, but they mean something special to me. And so it goes.

clean.jpg

Avengers_Vol_1_167.jpg

Edited by World Devourer

On 7/17/2023 at 12:37 AM, smarkjobber said:

Why "unfortunately"? Only 1st apps and "keys" should be collected?

As for Wolverine 8, even when I was kid (before "slab era") I wanted that book for the cover. And Hulk 340. And a bunch more.

I like the cover too, although not particularly "artistic"

What do we think about this one? (Pardon if it's been hashed out elsewhere on another topic.)

brys.png.4679b6407c7e06d05768047b54cea8cd.png

When I see people spending this much on a variant, even one by Dell'Otto that is super limited and 9.9/10 I can't help but think about the other books I'd buy with that moola.

(Ofc to each their own.)

On 7/26/2023 at 9:04 PM, fastballspecial said:

Book has always sold well for decades. Slabs I would imagine are pretty hard to find in 9.8 of that book.

Cool and thanks. I hadn't kept track,  but I bought a raw copy at my last comic con. Idk or keep track of sales, but I have been curious recently , therefore was truly wondering if a "flash in the pan", at risk of sounding like a pump.

It's set aside for my next cgc sub, but will still be down the road.

Thanks again!

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

On 7/26/2023 at 7:57 PM, smarkjobber said:

What do we think about this one? (Pardon if it's been hashed out elsewhere on another topic.)

brys.png.4679b6407c7e06d05768047b54cea8cd.png

When I see people spending this much on a variant, even one by Dell'Otto that is super limited and 9.9/10 I can't help but think about the other books I'd buy with that moola.

(Ofc to each their own.)

Again scarcity driving the market. Even being a store variant buyers dont care. Whats interesting is the bidding history on those 3. Looks like one bidder wanted all 3 books at one point.

On 7/26/2023 at 8:10 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:
On 7/26/2023 at 8:04 PM, fastballspecial said:

Book has always sold well for decades. Slabs I would imagine are pretty hard to find in 9.8 of that book.

Cool and thanks. I hadn't kept track,  but I bought a raw copy at my last comic con. Idk or keep track of sales, but I have been curious recently , therefore was truly wondering if a "flash in the pan", at risk of sounding like a pump.

It's set aside for my next cgc sub, but will still be down the road.

Thanks again!

It is a tough book to get a 9.8 on, but at least raw non-9.8 copies sell well for nice prices.

On 7/27/2023 at 5:11 AM, fastballspecial said:

Again scarcity driving the market. Even being a store variant buyers dont care. Whats interesting is the bidding history on those 3. Looks like one bidder wanted all 3 books at one point.

Bry's comics youtube video. I dunno seems weird. Who knows maybe it is not the scarcity but it his fan base?!? or the sold prices are totally fake. Still I bet his next mystery boxes will sell out really fast. 

On 7/26/2023 at 10:11 PM, fastballspecial said:

Manufactured scarcity. Still have to order 1,500 copies of the book, presumably.

On 7/28/2023 at 3:28 AM, smarkjobber said:

New wrinkle on this, after profusely attributing the success of his variant to Dell'Otto's artwork, Bry came out today and announced that he just discovered the art was a reused image from a German-published Spider-man book from 10 years ago.

Yeah, I stumbled on that couple days ago when I saw the sold listings. Was there a similar incident 2019 with Symbiote Spider-man 1 1:100 variant with Todd Mcfarlane cover. I kinda remember that the variant went hot and then it was discovered that it had been used in some postcards or poster in 90s.. and that variant in CGC 9.8 can be bought for 200$ so even that is better option than this Brys variant in my opinion. I don't understand why this is news for Bry's comics. Did he talk to Dell'otto who was like yes I am drawing a new cover for you.