• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
71 71

63,829 posts in this topic

On 7/27/2023 at 11:15 PM, ygogolak said:

Manufactured scarcity. Still have to order 1,500 copies of the book, presumably.

Very true. I wouldn't mind so much if the variant cover was truly outstanding, but that is rarely the case (eg. the Thanos #13 Albuquerque cover with the black background is impressive, but to this day I cannot see the fascination with ASM#667 and many others).

On 7/27/2023 at 10:20 PM, godzilla43 said:

Did he talk to Dell'otto who was like yes I am drawing a new cover for you.

Yeah, that's what baffles me. Up to now I always presumed that retailers hashed out the proposed cover with the artist they commissioned for an exclusive to some degree. I want to believe it's some kind of lost in translation situation where Dell'otto showed some spider-man covers to Bry and he happened to choose one that was used in another market. I trust Bry enough to disclose what went wrong in the process.

And I don't see how this doesn't impact on desirability of this book.

On 7/28/2023 at 2:36 AM, smarkjobber said:

Yeah, that's what baffles me. Up to now I always presumed that retailers hashed out the proposed cover with the artist they commissioned for an exclusive to some degree. I want to believe it's some kind of lost in translation situation where Dell'otto showed some spider-man covers to Bry and he happened to choose one that was used in another market. I trust Bry enough to disclose what went wrong in the process.

You trust him because why if I may ask?

Likely Marvel gave him the artwork. Not Dell Otto.

On 7/28/2023 at 5:43 AM, ygogolak said:

You trust him because why if I may ask?

Likely Marvel gave him the artwork. Not Dell Otto.

Eh...I trust him to shoot relatively straight on what happened. I don't take him to be outright stupid, which is what he'd have to be if he thought nobody would ever dig out that international cover.

On 7/28/2023 at 2:28 AM, smarkjobber said:

New wrinkle on this, after profusely attributing the success of his variant to Dell'Otto's artwork, Bry came out today and announced that he just discovered the art was a reused image from a German-published Spider-man book from 10 years ago.

It is even older

16905579349162828071965939042234.jpg

On 7/28/2023 at 2:36 AM, smarkjobber said:

Marvel sends you a list of artists that are preapproved to do covers and will tell the retailer the artists rate. Some are a lot more than others - most are included in the already established price. So if they said they wanted a cover from Dell'otto, Marvel would have done the entire run around with getting the cover done and produced. So its very possibly that Marvel didn't reach out to Dell'otto and just reused artwork they already had.

On 7/28/2023 at 2:16 PM, Jimmy Linguini said:

Marvel sends you a list of artists that are preapproved to do covers and will tell the retailer the artists rate. Some are a lot more than others - most are included in the already established price. So if they said they wanted a cover from Dell'otto, Marvel would have done the entire run around with getting the cover done and produced. So its very possibly that Marvel didn't reach out to Dell'otto and just reused artwork they already had.

Just like they have done recycling older artwork for their own high ratio variants. 

On 7/28/2023 at 1:16 PM, Jimmy Linguini said:

Interesting. So Marvel is the middle man throughout the entire process? The retailer always orders, "1 cover for issue x from artist x, please!" and Marvel handles everything? The retailers have zero influence? Do you know how this process works with DC and Image?

On 7/28/2023 at 9:17 PM, smarkjobber said:

Interesting. So Marvel is the middle man throughout the entire process? The retailer always orders, "1 cover for issue x from artist x, please!" and Marvel handles everything? The retailers have zero influence? Do you know how this process works with DC and Image?

Every publisher is different. In my experience Marvel and DC just give you a list of preapproved artists to pick from and it is difficult to get someone to do the cover that hasn't already been approved by the publisher. Sometimes they'll send you in progress images, sometimes they'll just send you the finished cover.

On 7/27/2023 at 7:28 PM, smarkjobber said:

New wrinkle on this, after profusely attributing the success of his variant to Dell'Otto's artwork, Bry came out today and announced that he just discovered the art was a reused image from a German-published Spider-man book from 10 years ago.

Now I am curious. So what are the odds on the fact they knew this before they published?

On 7/29/2023 at 5:12 PM, kimik said:

Looks more suspicious to me now that there was shilling to drive the prices up before the news about the cover being a reprint came out. Good old eBay special.

I am willing to give someone the benefit of the doubt, but its not looking good here. And alot of money
has exchanged hands here. 

Edited by fastballspecial

On 7/29/2023 at 7:02 PM, fastballspecial said:
On 7/27/2023 at 6:28 PM, smarkjobber said:

Now I am curious. So what are the odds on the fact they knew this before they published?

I would say 100% certainty they knew and that Marvel may have given a number of options of past work to choose from.

On 7/29/2023 at 7:03 PM, fastballspecial said:

I am willing to give someone the benefit of the doubt, but its not looking good here. And alot of money
has exchanged hands here. 

I am not. Prices were only $200 - $250 before the three high priced copies and now they have crashed back down. Looks like someone was playing games. Now, it may not have been Bry's comics - it could also have been someone else that had bought low and was trying to sell high. But, it does look really suspicious to me that the prices spiked on those few 9.8s just before Bry's comics "found out", or more likely was forced to admit by someone that was going to go public, that the artwork was a reprint of a previous cover................

Edited by kimik

Bry's comics in one of his videos month ago really hyped the book. How it has this amazing Dell'Otto cover and how expensive ASM 667 variant is etc. Well he is a salesman and that what they do but yeah.. then in the market manipulation video was saying like well prices are high in the secondary market because of this great cover etc. and talked lot about negative comments and people being toxic about manufactured scarcity and then this happen... 

Edited by godzilla43

I view all of this as a repeat of the Chromium Age - a time in the 90s when companies were producing pseudo-flashy efforts in an attempt to cash in on what was manufactured rarity. Oversaturation and consumer exhaustion finally brought things to a halt. The current fascination with variants reminds of this era - both reek of the same tackiness.

The market is way different than the 90's. In the 90's bubble like Death of Superman or some Image book like Wildcats 1 loads of average Joes went to buy those because they were hyped by the mainstream media as a future investment. With this Bry's comic or that last years Blag Flag Comics Ultimate Fallout 4 fiasco those are coveted and know by very few people. Also because Internet/Ebay the market corrects itself very fast.

I agree that the current market has a different feel. If anything, 2021 was like the 90s bubble as that is the recent spec peak for older and modern books. It was fun to separate the sportscard bros and crypto bros from their $$$ in 2021 with books from all eras. It may be a while before we see that again.

We are in a different market now where the excesses have been worked out of the market for the most part and prices on books are back to the levels they would have been just following the normal 8-10% gain year after year.

Edited by kimik

On 7/27/2023 at 10:28 PM, Tnexus said:

What I want to know is how Bry got his 1/1 Edge of Spider-Verse 1 virgin variant a CGC 10.0.

A modern Marvel comic getting a 10.0. I mean come on. I hate how CGC is just selling grades now.

If I remember correctly there were actually two copies and he kept one for himself and lied about their only being one copy. I don’t mess with store variants because they lie so much about how many copies are available and some even claim to destroy the bulk of the copies to make it limited.