• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
71 71

63,829 posts in this topic

On 9/22/2023 at 6:51 PM, fastballspecial said:

But keep in mind many of us don't feel the need to share as much here
anymore. Its just feeding the competition. We aren't the small board we
used to be there are alot of eyes :shiftyeyes: here from other spec sites now who
have pulled tons of information from here sometimes without credit. 

Exactly. I am fine posting about books after FOC, or preferably when they spike post release, but will not say anything publicly regarding spec orders. Let the spec sites figure it out for themselves.

As far as recent hot moderns, Wolverine #36 (1st Hellverine) is still holding well (I knew I should have bought more :censored:), while the DSTLRY Devil's Cut #1 1:100 Mizuno variant and the G'nort's Illustrated Swimsuit Edition #1 Villalobos 1:25 variant are fetching nice premiums.

On 9/22/2023 at 8:51 PM, fastballspecial said:

No not really. I've sold more the last month or so then the last few months. 
Many of us are busy. School started, kids in college, and so on. 

All do another update after my show in November.

But keep in mind many of us don't feel the need to share as much here
anymore. Its just feeding the competition. We aren't the small board we
used to be there are alot of eyes :shiftyeyes: here from other spec sites now who
have pulled tons of information from here sometimes without credit. 

well, folks used to come here to hype some book they had 50 copies of too

On 9/25/2023 at 1:34 AM, the blob said:

People are not hyping any copper / modern (or Bronze for that matter) because there is nothing that can be classified as hot.  Books are selling (very slowly) for sure but I've not seen much newer stuff that isn't cool to ice cold.  Just my observations.

On 9/25/2023 at 6:48 AM, 1Cool said:
On 9/24/2023 at 11:34 PM, the blob said:

People are not hyping any copper / modern (or Bronze for that matter) because there is nothing that can be classified as hot.  Books are selling (very slowly) for sure but I've not seen much newer stuff that isn't cool to ice cold.  Just my observations.

It was much more fun when there was more hype as this forum was more active.

It seems like there are still hot books week in/week out, but now that the card bros are gone there is not as much chatter. I hope they come back soon as I liked selling into their spec bubbles.

On 9/25/2023 at 1:50 PM, kimik said:

It seems like there are still hot books week in/week out, but now that the card bros are gone there is not as much chatter. I hope they come back soon as I liked selling into their spec bubbles.

From your mouth to gods ears!

On 9/25/2023 at 12:50 PM, kimik said:

Another bubble gone and card collectors leave again. 2nd time I have seen this only this one was worse for them I think. 

Books are still selling. My sales are back to about normal for this time of year. Sellers that keep holding out the Covid 
sales volume will return will be waiting awhile like 20 more years. 

The slab market is where people really got hurt I think. Now there is glut for years because of all the encapsulation.

On 9/25/2023 at 6:43 PM, fastballspecial said:

Another bubble gone and card collectors leave again. 2nd time I have seen this only this one was worse for them I think. 

Books are still selling. My sales are back to about normal for this time of year. Sellers that keep holding out the Covid 

The slab market is where people really got hurt I think. Now there is glut for years because of all the encapsulation.

I think that you are right with regards to the market being oversaturated with slabbed books. People were encapsulating all kinds of garbage and pushing it out the door. Instead of people using their head knowing that these low tier books should not be bought, were buying them thinking that they now have gold that will take them to the moon.

My personal opinion, if people have books and slabs that will have no true value I'd be working to dump those as soon as you can. At least try to break even, because I think that things will get very ugly in the coming year alone with just the economy that will also affect these books.

On 9/25/2023 at 6:20 PM, captainzombie said:
On 9/25/2023 at 5:43 PM, fastballspecial said:

I think that you are right with regards to the market being oversaturated with slabbed books. People were encapsulating all kinds of garbage and pushing it out the door. Instead of people using their head knowing that these low tier books should not be bought, were buying them thinking that they now have gold that will take them to the moon.

My personal opinion, if people have books and slabs that will have no true value I'd be working to dump those as soon as you can. At least try to break even, because I think that things will get very ugly in the coming year alone with just the economy that will also affect these books.

It is not just modern slabs that have been hit. SA and BA keys have tanked as well. I sold my last 3 X-Men #1s near the peak in 2021. I can buy a replacement CGC 4.5 now for less than half of what mine sold for. That is crazy.

I agree that a lot of modern stuff was slabbed that should not have been, but now you can pick up 9.8s of all sorts of books even with 1st apps for less than the new grading + shipping fees (pressing would be on top of that) that might make sense to accumulate now for reselling in a couple or so years. Could they fall a bit further? Maybe, but it just a few dollars at most. I think a lot of them have bottomed for now, and even though it will may take time for a reasonable uptick in value, it will come eventually. Then again, do you put money into moderns or pick up SA and BA keys that have halved from the 2021 peak instead?

On 9/25/2023 at 7:20 PM, captainzombie said:

I see it at every show now. Someone bringing in slabs and I look at them and think what was somebody thinking slabbing this book.

One of my local shops did same thing last year. They slabbed literally hundreds of books and their grades were all over the place with a ton of 9.2 and 9.4s on common books as well as some 8.0/8.5s that they will likely never sell. 

Edited by fastballspecial

On 9/25/2023 at 9:28 PM, kimik said:

It is not just modern slabs that have been hit. SA and BA keys have tanked as well. I sold my last 3 X-Men #1s near the peak in 2021. I can buy a replacement CGC 4.5 now for less than half of what mine sold for. That is crazy.

I agree that a lot of modern stuff was slabbed that should not have been, but now you can pick up 9.8s of all sorts of books even with 1st apps for less than the new grading + shipping fees (pressing would be on top of that) that might make sense to accumulate now for reselling in a couple or so years. Could they fall a bit further? Maybe, but it just a few dollars at most. I think a lot of them have bottomed for now, and even though it will may take time for a reasonable uptick in value, it will come eventually. Then again, do you put money into moderns or pick up SA and BA keys that have halved from the 2021 peak instead?

On 9/25/2023 at 9:29 PM, fastballspecial said:

I see it at every show now. Someone bringing in slabs and I look at them and think what was somebody thinking slabbing this book.

One of my local shops did same thing last year. They slabbed literally hundreds of books and their grades were all over the place with a ton of 9.2 and 9.4s on common books as well as some 8.0/8.5s that they will likely never sell. 

While modern slabs have taken the hit, I'd probably feel more comfortable with SA and BA slabs or raws in my collection. At least with SA and BA, depending on the books they will bounce back. With moderns as we know, most will be priced high for a few weeks and then a tumble they will take.

I don't think some people and shop owners had a real good strategy with what they were slabbing. I made some similar mistakes early on when I was starting to slab books, but you learn when you have books sitting around and not moving.

On 9/25/2023 at 9:29 PM, fastballspecial said:

I had a similar experience, my invincible for sale that you can find pics of in the selling section? (It's closed as they're on consignment at LCS although the next part proves they're still available)

We're about 26 slabs, ranging from 8.0to9.8.

Been on consignment at one LCS for a month or more and none have sold. I live close enough to mycomicshop that I should try them, but this LCS seemed easier, and I didn't necessarily need all to sell. If I sent to mycomicshop it would be hard to pick back up any remainder lol

Rambling a bit, but 0 have sold. Tried another sale thread for tomb of Dracula 12 2nd blade at a good price in cgc 9.6 still nothing. It is what it is. I know they're not as many eyes as eBay, but everyone always suggests the boards and etc. Not a complaint, but to me reflects some of the market, and how it is not as easy as it looks so to speak.

Tbh I'm not buying either as most of my money went towards other hobbies. Part of why I'm selling to get back in the game sooner.

😕

On 9/26/2023 at 10:31 AM, 1Cool said:

Selling common slabs on the boards is a nightmare if you don't want to give a 15 - 20% haircut in value.  People on the boards are frugal and will always want a deal unless it's a really hard to find book.  I agree selling on the boards gets a lot easier when you have a ton of raw books at a fair price (and even than it can be hit or miss).

Tell me about it. I sold a cgc 8.5 iron man submariner on the boards for $200 one time. I had people saying what a deal, and no one claimed it until finally the person did that was local and he asked me to meet up to deliver it. Saving on shipping.

That's not like a complaint, but the lengths I would go to to make a fair deal, it is just an example of "what" exactly my experience of selling on the boards has been like.

Ya it was only one book and not an assortment, ya I understand it had only been like most of my threads listed for three days. I can only guess that it is me somehow due to not scheduling better to sell, because I don't usually plan on waiting weeks to a month to wrap it up. Again not a complaint, I just don't often sell period 

So take my experience with a grain of salt 😜

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

On 9/26/2023 at 2:22 PM, littledoom said:

essentially the ebay fees

And they want free shipping and for the seller to eat the 3% paypal fees.  If it aint cheap then I don't see many bronze - modern slabs trading hands on the boards.  It's been that was for as long as I can remember and only getting worse.

On 9/26/2023 at 11:22 AM, littledoom said:

essentially the ebay fees

Yes its outrageous for sure , the fees . When I list on Ebay in my Store I don't have to do anything else though until it sells or someone asks about some extra pics . Time has its value to me also even with the fees . I have had a great last 4 weeks but I am diversified also I sell electrical parts also so that helps . Truly I have to work and keep listing books to sell , I feel like I have to try to keep the accelerator down more than what was usual for me  from the past .

Edited by davidking623

On 9/26/2023 at 11:26 AM, 1Cool said:

And they want free shipping and for the seller to eat the 3% paypal fees.  If it aint cheap then I don't see many bronze - modern slabs trading hands on the boards.  It's been that was for as long as I can remember and only getting worse.

Something I don't yield to , the free shipping . I find it a interesting ploy trying to punish me for charging shipping as they keep my fees high for final valuation fees and I don't commit to the 30 day return process , as I don't offer returns but every once in a while a hiccup arises .

On 9/26/2023 at 2:10 PM, davidking623 said:

Yes its outrageous for sure , the fees . When I list on Ebay in my Store I don't have to do anything else though until it sells or someone asks about some extra pics . Time has its value to me also even with the fees . I have had a great last 4 weeks but i am diversified also I sell electrical parts also so that helps . Truly I have to work and keep listing books to sell , I feel like I have to try to keep the accelerator down more than what was usual for me  from the past .

It has gotten out of hand with eBay. I also sell used auto parts on there and am one of the larger sellers. Their mission to copy Amazon in many ways and mismanagement has caused them their downfall.

They are not organically growing their business and relying on Promoted Listings to show a profit to their shareholders. It is very sad.

Figure between Promoted Listings, Promotions, Free Shipping, Free 30 Day returns, and then also add having to fend off false SNADs left and right it doesn't help at all.