• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
71 71

63,835 posts in this topic

On 9/27/2023 at 2:18 PM, davidking623 said:

My system works well so I bother , I had a return once in 3 and half years where it was not my mistake ,probably 3-5 that post office threw the book up to the ceiling and let it land where it may ! If you allow returns so easy then yeah you get returns more often , but I guess that,s just a theory .

I’ve always offered free returns (for the last 8 years, at least) and I’ve had someone ask for a return twice in that time - both of which were mistakes on my part. 

I’m not a huge volume seller, though. That will make a difference just by the law of averages. 

On 9/27/2023 at 5:42 PM, GeeksAreMyPeeps said:

I'm also in NYC. I know multiple people that regularly get inquiries about the sale of their home, whether they're selling it or not. I think there are just a lot of people with money looking to buy real estate to rent out.

Yeah, but that could be them hoping for a lowball. Remax calls me 3X a week on my primary residence. It is annoying. 

On 9/28/2023 at 2:38 PM, the blob said:

Yeah, but that could be them hoping for a lowball. Remax calls me 3X a week on my primary residence. It is annoying. 

I'm in MA and I get 3-4 things in the mail asking if I want to sell (I don't) from realtors I've never used.  If I had a home phone I'm sure they'd be calling me too.  ???

On 9/26/2023 at 3:04 PM, Dio17 said:

Quick question for you veteran sellers; when you refer to slabs being overdone, ( and yes, comic book stores I’ve visited seem to have acquired multiple boxes of blue label slabs which just seemed to magically appear lately ) are you also referring to signature series slabs? Would you say the signature slabs in the BA & MA are overdone also or do they seem to better hold their value? Appreciate your input. 

They are much more valuable over all. Depending on the artist/writer/actor you get some are very scarce and valuable.
Just keep in mind its a small market as well. A very lucrative market but just like slabs a small part of the market. The
only problem recently is grading companies know that as well. McFarlane's signature I am sure has taken a hit after his signings. 

I know they provide this nice forum and a definite valuable service for the appropriate books, but it is hard to wrap my head around the amount of $ that has been spent on slabbing books that probably do not warrant it and the creation of artificial perceived rarity for some 9.8 books. 

On 9/28/2023 at 5:03 PM, fastballspecial said:

They are much more valuable over all. Depending on the artist/writer/actor you get some are very scarce and valuable.
Just keep in mind its a small market as well. A very lucrative market but just like slabs a small part of the market. The
only problem recently is grading companies know that as well. McFarlane's signature I am sure has taken a hit after his signings. 

Great info. Thanks for the reply. Much appreciated. 

On 9/29/2023 at 10:41 AM, the blob said:

I know they provide this nice forum and a definite valuable service for the appropriate books, but it is hard to wrap my head around the amount of $ that has been spent on slabbing books that probably do not warrant it and the creation of artificial perceived rarity for some 9.8 books. 

Take that thought to the next step. Considering that a certain amount of money has been spent on slabbing books that probably do not warrant it (if being slabbed for resale, anyway; I'm slabbing a bunch of books for my PC that wouldn't be worth slabbing if I was selling them), that activity was probably a signal to CGC that the industry is growing at a certain rate, and the usual expectations when you have one company buy out another one (as was the case here) that is growing at a certain rate, is that it will continue to grow at that rate, or at least show consistent growth. Now that the bubble has deflated or burst, I doubt they're seeing any growth, and more likely seeing some contraction. I have to wonder what that is going to mean for the company and for customers. Will they have layoffs? Will we see even more jumps in prices as they try to maintain the same income on lower volumes of submissions (which would only cause a further dropoff in submissions, as the bar for a book being worth slabbing is raised).

On 9/29/2023 at 12:08 PM, GeeksAreMyPeeps said:

Take that thought to the next step. Considering that a certain amount of money has been spent on slabbing books that probably do not warrant it (if being slabbed for resale, anyway; I'm slabbing a bunch of books for my PC that wouldn't be worth slabbing if I was selling them), that activity was probably a signal to CGC that the industry is growing at a certain rate, and the usual expectations when you have one company buy out another one (as was the case here) that is growing at a certain rate, is that it will continue to grow at that rate, or at least show consistent growth. Now that the bubble has deflated or burst, I doubt they're seeing any growth, and more likely seeing some contraction. I have to wonder what that is going to mean for the company and for customers. Will they have layoffs? Will we see even more jumps in prices as they try to maintain the same income on lower volumes of submissions (which would only cause a further dropoff in submissions, as the bar for a book being worth slabbing is raised).

One of these days I will get around to slabbing my Hulk 2 type books and a few others that are arguably worth it (I sold most of the major keys years ago), but the amount of money I would spend slabbing a host of $75-200 books in my collection would basically be enough to create a whole new, pretty good, collection, yet the market seems to think those should be slabbed. CGC is a great product and if I am spending real money nowadays I want that slab, but criminey there should be a cheaper option for the mid tier books 9.4-6 and below that adds the requisite trust and liquidity. MCS basically creates that for a $7 fee on consignment, but they don't give you that tamper proof packaging. I get it though, if the goal is a 9.8 it probably needs all the bells and whistles. And my guess is that MCS is not doing the same level of resto check on a cheaper book. If some book winds up being restored from them do they accept returns? (But you still get burned on slabbing fees?)

As for CGC, if they lowered fees they'd keep everyone on salary pretty busy if there has been a slow down. They might need to splurge on a good espresso maker.

Edited by the blob

On 9/29/2023 at 10:41 AM, the blob said:

It's all about perception. And each individual will value that perception differently, creating a market. Just like stock in a company, a perception of value.

If people are willing to trade real dollars for a product or service, they validate its worth, even contradictory to what some may believe. 

On 9/29/2023 at 12:31 PM, the blob said:

One of these days I will get around to slabbing my Hulk 2 type books and a few others that are arguably worth it (I sold most of the major keys years ago), but the amount of money I would spend slabbing a host of $75-200 books in my collection would basically be enough to create a whole new, pretty good, collection, yet the market seems to think those should be slabbed. CGC is a great product and if I am spending real money nowadays I want that slab, but criminey there should be a cheaper option for the mid tier books 9.4-6 and below that adds the requisite trust and liquidity. MCS basically creates that for a $7 fee on consignment, but they don't give you that tamper proof packaging. I get it though, if the goal is a 9.8 it probably needs all the bells and whistles. And my guess is that MCS is not doing the same level of resto check on a cheaper book. If some book winds up being restored from them do they accept returns? (But you still get burned on slabbing fees?)

As for CGC, if they lowered fees they'd keep everyone on salary pretty busy if there has been a slow down. They might need to splurge on a good espresso maker.

Lower CGC fees would be great but, perhaps like you and other posters, I am extremely doubtful that will occur but I hope to be proven wrong.

On 9/29/2023 at 12:31 PM, the blob said:

Red Hulk 2?

There is no way I could afford the price to submit any books as low as $75. My bar is currently around $1,000...even then most sit years before being hand-picked for submission

On 10/2/2023 at 12:47 PM, PeterPark said:

Red Hulk 2?

There is no way I could afford the price to submit any books as low as $75. My bar is currently around $1,000...even then most sit years before being hand-picked for submission

No, Incredible Hulk 2 from 1960whatever

On 9/30/2023 at 8:26 AM, Tec-Tac-Toe said:

Lower CGC fees would be great but, perhaps like you and other posters, I am extremely doubtful that will occur but I hope to be proven wrong.

I don't think it is an ultra profitable business to there probably isn't much fat in their pricing despite what we think, but if volume is down they might need to lower fees to keep it up

On 10/2/2023 at 3:46 PM, the blob said:

I don't think it is an ultra profitable business to there probably isn't much fat in their pricing despite what we think, but if volume is down they might need to lower fees to keep it up

The prices for post 1974 comics are actually a good deal at $25 per, less with membership.  Before grading became a "thing", like 30 years ago, people were willing to pay $10-$20 for a snap-together plastic case for their best comics, DIY.  And that was the price then, with 30 years to inflate.  Now, you get someone to verify the page count, 2 people to check for restoration and also grade it, seal the comic into a capsule, then install it into a tamper-evident clear frame with identifying label.  And the comic is insured while it at the grading site.  All for as little as $22.50.  Not too bad.

The other side of this is that they want 4% of Fair Market Value ($150 minimum) for comics worth over $1000.  To do the exact same steps.

Edited by Lightning55

On 10/2/2023 at 4:05 PM, Lightning55 said:

The prices for post 1974 comics are actually a good deal at $25 per, less with membership.  Before grading became a "thing", like 30 years ago, people were willing to pay $10-$20 for a snap-together plastic case for their best comics, DIY.  And that was the price then, with 30 years to inflate.  Now, you get someone to verify the page count, 2 people to check for restoration and also grade it, seal the comic into a capsule, then install it into a tamper-evident clear frame with identifying label.  And the comic is insured while it at the grading site.  All for as little as $22.50.  Not too bad.

The other side of this is that they want 4% of Fair Market Value ($150 minimum) for comics worth over $1000.  To do the exact same steps.

I dunno who was paying $10-20 for that snap together stuff. I know some terrible grading company was buying those things in bulk and grading in his basement for like $8-9? (I know this because he was a friend of a friend.... can't remember the name of that one, but he was lambasted here in the early 2000s). Wasn't CGC $15 when they started? I know, inflation, but also economies of scale and learning curve going the other way.

On 10/2/2023 at 1:46 PM, the blob said:

Looking at the number of signings being announced every week, it looks like that is how they are working to keep the grading volumes up. If grading volumes dip further, they will likely let graders go. I am not sure how much they can lower grading fees due to input costs being higher now.

On 10/2/2023 at 3:46 PM, the blob said:

:wishluck:

On 10/3/2023 at 1:07 AM, kimik said:

Looking at the number of signings being announced every week, it looks like that is how they are working to keep the grading volumes up. If grading volumes dip further, they will likely let graders go. I am not sure how much they can lower grading fees due to input costs being higher now.

well, fees on pre 1976 books probably have some wiggle room, particularly your pretty standard marvels and DCs from the 60s - 70s. The substantial price bump is borderline arbitrary in my mind. I get the resto check and page counts starts getting really tricky on your GA books, giant sizes, etc.  They can let graders go and all the training they put into them or keep them busy.

Edited by the blob