• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
71 71

63,835 posts in this topic

maybe all these buyers were left ouf of the TWD gold rush and want a shot at something that might end up being big.

I've had several people ask about ToT and whether it was going to explode similar to TWD. So yes, I believe there is a far amount of people rushing to buy this book in hopes it will soon skyrocket like TWD.

maybe all these buyers were left ouf of the TWD gold rush and want a shot at something that might end up being big.

I'd definitely agree with this -- I think it's a big part of the recent 90s style buying, not just with ToT.

So the same person is buying every $20+ copy on ebay?

The #1 & 2 set that ended at $52.87 last night had 7 different bidders over $20. Clearly they all want a copy.

Of course, they probably want a copy because of the hype and speculation, so we're not disagreeing on that...

Seriously. I just listed three ToT #1 first prints on ebay for $80 as a BIN/Best Offer. In less than two hours 16 people looked at the auction, I received three different offers in the $50-70 range, and finally a fourth buyer hit the BIN at my asking price. You can speculate as to the motivations I guess, but there is demand for this book... and damn, if those of us on this board do have this kind of power, I wish we'd flex it a lot more often. :grin:

Congrats on the sale.

It does seem strange to see some of these sales on eBay when, as Michael said, there were plenty of copies of this book at C2E2 that just sat there. Nobody was buying it for $15 to $30.

Maybe we need another word for when speculator's overpay buying from each other on eBay to give an impression that a book is hot.

Incestuous?

No. That's kinda creepy.

I like what you are doing here with new words Chuck..

I thought about Icy/hot but that just doesn't sound right.. So I though Shaquille O'Neil is the Icy/hot spokesman.. So how about Shaqed. Or Shacked. I.e. that's a Shaqed book.

The #1 & 2 set that ended at $52.87 last night had 7 different bidders over $20. Clearly they all want a copy.

Of course, they probably want a copy because of the hype and speculation, so we're not disagreeing on that...

Seriously. I just listed three ToT #1 first prints on ebay for $80 as a BIN/Best Offer. In less than two hours 16 people looked at the auction, I received three different offers in the $50-70 range, and finally a fourth buyer hit the BIN at my asking price. You can speculate as to the motivations I guess, but there is demand for this book... and damn, if those of us on this board do have this kind of power, I wish we'd flex it a lot more often. :grin:

This an absurd price, good for you, but absurd.

I bought a ToT 1-3 off the shelf this weekend for cover. There were more 1-3's at 2 stores for cover.

Everyone is looking for the next Walking Dead, but it isn't going to happen if everyone is speculating so damn hard on it.

How many guys here have multiple copies of ToT's?

I understand that if the TV show is made, it will go up in price. However, it doesn't have the longevity of Walking Dead behind it, or the mass appeal of zombies.

I also highly doubt fans will care that it's from the same guy as the Walking Dead. I'm betting it will have more to do with AMC and their track record.

C2E2 report...

Walking Deads...

All priced at top dollar amounts and several well respected gold and silver age dealers buying 1s for top dollar and filling their walls with WDs.

Sales? I saw a 19 and 27 sell as well as every 1 in the show disappear. All other books were left sitting in the displays. 1 dealer cut prices in half on the random issues and his wall was gone in 30 minutes.

ToT was a non factor but dealers were offering them and showcasing them.

CPG sketchbook was an almost instant sellout and Mind the Gap ashcan was gorgeous and selling briskly. Both CPG and Mind were also being bought by dealers.

Saga RRP was a hot book if you could find it. Prices were at $200 per by the end of the show with $100-$200 realized prices.

GFT books were not appearing to do anything at the exhibitor booths each time I walked by. There was a gorgeous EBas cover for something that looked amazing from the production value.

Incentive and Variants were abundant with a few dealers offering $5 each with several long boxes or 50% off right away.

High grade Walking Dead books did sell but not anything below NM+ and it had to be strong!

Walking Dead 53s...$60 per and sat there all weekend. Spike was too quick and should level off by the next show I would assume.

Valiant booth was pretty steady. Not much happening but I see that there are going to be bright days ahead if the books and talent hold up. They appear to really want people buying and want to be a player.

Shia Lebouf was the best part of the show and one of the nicest and most modest celebrities I have met. Very down to earth and wants to buy Mahnke art lol

Sketch covers still a hot item to get done and a mix bag on rates and results as always.

Anyways...

From eBay to a show there are some tidbits from the show floor and how it will relate to eBay?....

JJ

Wolf

Zombies don't have the mass appeal of hiest/crime fiction. Just look at Box office numbers of both genres.

I was looking at the numbers between Walking Dead, Leverage, and White Collar. Movies are harder to compare, since hiest/crime movies as a rule get far more a-list talent than zombies, so I was trying to stick to TV shows.

Leverage and White Collar last season finales both have less a third of what the Walking Dead was.

I wasn't trying to argue that Thief of Thieves will not be a great book to make profit off of short term, I just don't think we'll see the crazy numbers of Walking Dead, I'd even be surprised it it hit Chew 1 numbers and held.

My point was, I can't see this book staying hot long term. Short term, if you can get them for cover, seems like a fantastic buy.

Does anyone else see the problem with trying to guess the next big book, when everyone else is doing the same thing, reading the same news, and buying multiple copies of the same book?

chicks like crime shows, guys like zombies...maybe it will appeal to a different market. Just a couple months ago people were saying meh to ToT and they'd just wait and grab it from the dollar bins. Not sure that is going to happen anytime soon. Even though there's alot of these for sale i haven't seen the prices dropped much at all. They keep climbing.

Edited by krighton

Wolf

Zombies don't have the mass appeal of hiest/crime fiction. Just look at Box office numbers of both genres.

I was looking at the numbers between Walking Dead, Leverage, and White Collar. Movies are harder to compare, since hiest/crime movies as a rule get far more a-list talent than zombies, so I was trying to stick to TV shows.

Leverage and White Collar last season finales both have less a third of what the Walking Dead was.

I wasn't trying to argue that Thief of Thieves will not be a great book to make profit off of short term, I just don't think we'll see the crazy numbers of Walking Dead, I'd even be surprised it it hit Chew 1 numbers and held.

My point was, I can't see this book staying hot long term. Short term, if you can get them for cover, seems like a fantastic buy.

Does anyone else see the problem with trying to guess the next big book, when everyone else is doing the same thing, reading the same news, and buying multiple copies of the same book?

^^

Congrats on the sale.

It does seem strange to see some of these sales on eBay when, as Michael said, there were plenty of copies of this book at C2E2 that just sat there. Nobody was buying it for $15 to $30.

Maybe we need another word for when speculator's overpay buying from each other on eBay to give an impression that a book is hot.

Incestuous?

No. That's kinda creepy.

I like what you are doing here with new words Chuck..

I thought about Icy/hot but that just doesn't sound right.. So I though Shaquille O'Neil is the Icy/hot spokesman.. So how about Shaqed. Or Shacked. I.e. that's a Shaqed book.

Looks and feels like a big game of musical chairs to me. Speculators buying and selling to each other at ever-increasing prices, hoping to grab a chair (and a sale at a profit) before the music stops (and the bottom falls out).

My point still stands that there is a bigger market out there for heist/crime fiction than there is Zombies. It is just down to quality, Walking dead has been a fantastic success because of its quality and I think Thief of thieves could be just as big if not bigger because of the larger audience for heist/crime fiction.

Wasn't The Vault supposed to be the next big thing? What happened with that?

Buy Kirkman & Buy Often

How many copies of Haunt & Astounding Wolfman do you own?

yeah, i've been watching ToT #1 on ebay. every copy has gone for over $20 by the end of the auction. some for far more. there's definitely a demand for the book, obviously thanks to the possible tv show. this book COULD be the next $100-200 book, but ONLY if the show gets made. of course, there's also people buying it because it's a really great title and very fun to read.

Sold my blank Expo other day for $70 after having 4 offers in 24 hours. Sold it cheaper to US buyer because it was just easier less risk. Sets are selling well I dont keep one for 24 hours before it sells and the last 1-3 Set I sold had 5 offers in 24 hours before a BIN hit.

All that being said ToT had little heat before the announcement. I sold every copy I had on ebay in less then 12 hours after the announcment fortunately I had some extra copies. Sets are approaching $50ish now and will continue to climb in the near future. There are no issues locally and doubt there will be for a long while. I am more then happy to let the buying frenzy continue as I bought heavy early on this book even though I didnt like as much as others.

All that being said when you get 5 or 6 offers in the first 24 hours its definetly smoking.