• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
71 71

63,835 posts in this topic

I would just tell him that, if he's so concerned about market value and thinks that you are under-selling, perhaps he should just buy the books from you since (a) it's obviously a great value, and (b) the item would no longer be an active eBay listing. ;-)

He said that if he didn't have stacks and stacks of them, he'd buy them himself. He also called me "rood."

So if the book is so rare and valuable, how does he have stacks of them?

I have been told that he is a boardie. Too bad its already Saturday. This could have been a killer flame war / Friday thread.

Thief of Thieves Related Weirdness.

I just listed my 2nd of two TOT sets. They include a CGC 9.8 copy of #1 (first print) and raw copies of 2-5. The first lot sold for $160. I little lower than what they were going for a couple weeks ago, but I'm happy with the profit.

This second one I listed at $149 with a best offer option. Some 9.8 copies are now out there for around $100, so I felt like I was at the top end of the market, but adding the 2-5 might make the sale.

I received this message from another eBay user:

"Why don't you raise the price on this item to $25 lower than the other listed books and include the best offer option. There's only 200 copies of this book and your low price has crippled the market for the book by making it appear that the demand for the title is non-existent. Please don't take this message the wrong way, I'm just offering some friendly advise."

I told the guy that there were plenty of other people out there selling it cheaper than me and asked if he was messaging all of them as well. I also told him that all of his assumptions were wrong and to never contact me again.

Has anyone else ran into someone trying to increase the market value of a book in this way? So freaking weird.

Yes, years ago, I bought a stack of books at a warehouse for $.50 each. I bought 1, 000 of them. (They were some Classics Illustrated type books) I listed them on eBay at $2.00 each and was very happy if someone bought some. I got a message from another seller who had bought from the same warehouse and told me I was killing the market ...he had them listed at $8 to $9.00 each...so I sold him all of mine, for $1.00 each.

That was about 9 years ago, he's still selling them on eBay, and my garage is nice and empty;) :acclaim:

Thief of Thieves Related Weirdness.

I just listed my 2nd of two TOT sets. They include a CGC 9.8 copy of #1 (first print) and raw copies of 2-5. The first lot sold for $160. I little lower than what they were going for a couple weeks ago, but I'm happy with the profit.

This second one I listed at $149 with a best offer option. Some 9.8 copies are now out there for around $100, so I felt like I was at the top end of the market, but adding the 2-5 might make the sale.

"Why don't you raise the price on this item to $25 lower than the other listed books and include the best offer option. There's only 200 copies of this book and your low price has crippled the market for the book by making it appear that the demand for the title is non-existent. Please don't take this message the wrong way, I'm just offering some friendly advise."

I told the guy that there were plenty of other people out there selling it cheaper than me and asked if he was messaging all of them as well. I also told him that all of his assumptions were wrong and to never contact me again.

Has anyone else ran into someone trying to increase the market value of a book in this way? So freaking weird.

Yes, years ago, I bought a stack of books at a warehouse for $.50 each. I bought 1, 000 of them. (They were some Classics Illustrated type books) I listed them on eBay at $2.00 each and was very happy if someone bought some. I got a message from another seller who had bought from the same warehouse and told me I was killing the market ...he had them listed at $8 to $9.00 each...so I sold him all of mine, for $1.00 each.

That was about 9 years ago, he's still selling them on eBay, and my garage is nice and empty;) :acclaim:

Well, FWIW, that guy put his money where his mouth was... lol

He said that if he didn't have stacks and stacks of them, he'd buy them himself. He also called me "rood."

I have been told that he is a boardie. Too bad its already Saturday. This could have been a killer flame war / Friday thread.

Organic economic function will make all of his thoughts irrelevant, anyway. If your listing is truly below market, it'll sell quickly, and the going rate for the book(s) will stay at the level he expects. Your one listing will not 'destroy' the market.

For the record, the message I sent to the guy OP has been completely misconstrued by him. I was complimenting him on the price of the book because it was such a better deal than the other sales. I even explained in that post that I was joking and told him not to take it the wrong way. Branget - you are threatened by me for some unknown reason, and that is sad. One of the people who has ranted and raved about me made an anti-Semitic rap that had more bigoted comments than I could count and he's looked at like an authority on internet posting behavior. Those of you who rush to judge others should be reminded to treat others with respect and kindness. While I have championed that message for the better part of a year some of you continue to advance your vitriolic rhetoric. This is the first and last time that I will post anything related to this nonsense. I believe that the OP is now of the opinion that he shouldn't have jumped to conclusions and that often sarcasm doesn't translate well in written form. Suffice to say, I'm done talking about it, but would appreciate it if those of you have made rude comments about me would refrain from doing so. Each and every one of us love comics or we wouldn't spend our free time discussing them. Perhaps we should all remember that our shared love of this medium is reason enough to treat one another as friends and not as adversaries.

Organic economic function will make all of his thoughts irrelevant, anyway. If your listing is truly below market, it'll sell quickly, and the going rate for the book(s) will stay at the level he expects. Your one listing will not 'destroy' the market.

basic micro economics - note that I teach a political and economic philosophy course at a Jesuit University every few years ... please read my prior post ... this whole discussion would be funny if it wasn't sad ... this is my last post, but I hope it is all the evidence that anyone who doubts my sincerity would ever need.

For the record, the message I sent to the guy OP has been completely misconstrued by him. I was complimenting him on the price of the book because it was such a better deal than the other sales. I even explained in that post that I was joking and told him not to take it the wrong way. Branget - you are threatened by me for some unknown reason, and that is sad. One of the people who has ranted and raved about me made an anti-Semitic rap that had more bigoted comments than I could count and he's looked at like an authority on internet posting behavior. Those of you who rush to judge others should be reminded to treat others with respect and kindness. While I have championed that message for the better part of a year some of you continue to advance your vitriolic rhetoric. This is the first and last time that I will post anything related to this nonsense. I believe that the OP is now of the opinion that he shouldn't have jumped to conclusions and that often sarcasm doesn't translate well in written form. Suffice to say, I'm done talking about it, but would appreciate it if those of you have made rude comments about me would refrain from doing so. Each and every one of us love comics or we wouldn't spend our free time discussing them. Perhaps we should all remember that our shared love of this medium is reason enough to treat one another as friends and not as adversaries.

:popcorn:

yaay, my first popcorn

:popcorn:

yaay, my first popcorn

Break out the gummy bears. This one is just about to climax all over the place. Be careful of the splash zone and please keep all hands and feet inside the car until we've come to a complete stop.

If anyone can actually explain to me how saying I am not jewish is anti-semetic I will leave the boards forever.

Break out the gummy bears. This one is just about to climax all over the place. Be careful of the splash zone and please keep all hands and feet inside the car until we've come to a complete stop.

*throws hands up in the air and makes funny face at camera

basic micro economics - note that I teach a political and economic philosophy course at a Jesuit University every few years ... please read my prior post ... this whole discussion would be funny if it wasn't sad ... this is my last post, but I hope it is all the evidence that anyone who doubts my sincerity would ever need.

This was your message that started all this: :gossip:

I don't see any sarcasm. (shrug) I don't see any micro-economic expertise - just a suggestion one auction can cripple a market. (shrug)

If anyone can actually explain to me how saying I am not jewish is anti-semetic I will leave the boards forever.

I think that a lot of things in your rap video were misunderstood by a lot of people.

I personally thought it was very entertaining, funny and not really meant to be taken too seriously, it certainly made for some funny comments for a few days.

I took it for what it was and had a good laugh especially the ghost at the window.

The first two days after watching it, I also couldnt stop singing it, my wife thought I had cracked up. :roflmao:

Anti-semetic, never.

Those of you who rush to judge others should be reminded to treat others with respect and kindness.

I'll add one thing: sending someone a message about one of their auctions, and the way it is priced, such as you did, is not respectful. Period. Don't expect to sing this particular refrain after you have shown disregard for it.

Those of you who rush to judge others should be reminded to treat others with respect and kindness.

I'll add one thing: sending someone a message about one of their auctions, and the way it is priced, such as you did, is not respectful. Period. Don't expect to sing this particular refrain after you have shown disregard for it.

HIS FACEBOOK SAYS HE'S A JUDGE AND HE'S TALKING ABOUT JUDGING OTHERS. HAHHAHAHHAHHA

Anyone care to explain what the Mind The Gap #2 recall error is?

Page 11 is darker than it should be.

its almost unnoticeable i've sold 7 since last week. its weird.

Edited by Jimmy Linguiniii